Closed Thread
Page 24 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You know what? I was so busy agreeing with you that I didn't even notice!

AMAZING!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    You know what? I was so busy agreeing with you that I didn't even notice!

AMAZING!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think "alright" is, well, all right.... I think it's an accepted alternative. I remember my working class English grandfather would greet us with "aw-right?" which translated to "Good day. How are you?".

The haitch vs aitch comment above made me think of an incident in year 2. I came home and said "haitch" and my mother sharply said "no, it's aitch". I replied, "no, Ms T said it was haitch", to which my mother replied that Ms T was an idiot.

What do people think of changing tradition?

For example, inquiry vs enquiry. I use inquiry for everything, which I think is generally accepted now.

And programme vs program?

And using hyphens to clarify that two or more words are actually an adjective, for example, a "well-executed plan" (Sorry, I can't think of a better example.) I normally use them, but when you have several words it starts looking messy. But not, say, a "legally binding document" as you don't need it due to the "ly". Does anybody else do the hyphens? When I used to proof read my partner's uni assignments, we had constant conjecture over them.

Lambjam: thanks for the semicolon advice.

I quite like this thread.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 03-03-2011 at 17:39. Reason: Changing "don't think" to "think"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I am a serial offender here.. I do wish I could be perfect with my post and in general with everyday life especially with assignments but I find it so hard and I am so grateful my DD1 is so clever and finds it SO easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like it too

I probably should get off BH now as I'm at work but I'd love to address all of your other points.

You reminded me of one in particular though - the disappearance of the adverb. Drives me around the twist.

Such as `I'm going a bit slow today' or `Yeah, you did that really quick!' or `What's the deal with him? He's doing really bad at that'.

(for those who don't know, the correct words are slowLY, quickLY and badLY)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabelline View Post
    Annother annoyance.
    "tender hooks" instead of "tenterhooks" when in suspense.
    I assume that "annother" is a typo (well, I hope, otherwise that is very awkward).

Thanks
    Reviews
    This one annoys me, but it is so commonplace that it just seems to be accepted now.....

When someone calls someone else a mole. Hmmm.... Moll perhaps?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sixx View Post
    This one annoys me, but it is so commonplace that it just seems to be accepted now.....

When someone calls someone else a mole. Hmmm.... Moll perhaps?
    I think you have missed a space in between common and place, hehe, in a thread about spelling errors lol, Picked up by a very poor speller. ohhhh the shame lol

Kidding xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2monkey View Post
    I think you have missed a space in between common and place, hehe, in a thread about spelling errors lol, Picked up by a very poor speller. ohhhh the shame lol

Kidding xxxx
    Nope, commonplace is a word. But I DID have to google it to make sure, after you said that...Thanks for making me doubt myself.

I'm also not sure there should be a comma where I just placed one. Damn- I probably should have stayed out of this thread! Its making me paranoid!
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 03-03-2011 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    I can't stand it when the apostrophe is used to denote plural in a wrong way.Like "a lot of apple's are on sale".It should be "a lot of apples are on sale" !
    I have a friend who does this. He grossly overuses the apostrophe. He uses it on pretty much any word that ends with s. It used to lead to quite heated arguments between us. (Yes, we were a bit geeky. Ha.)

Although, I'm a bit paranoid that I overuse the comma, so I should probably keep my mouth shut.