Closed Thread
Page 20 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Years ago, I used to say "for all intensive purposes, rather than for all intents and purposes". (the horror...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also, Lambjam, can you do a lere my lesson on semicolons one month (or now)? They are my weakness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fullstop View Post
    Just thought of another

I know someone who always writes "auful" and "aufully" Drives me mad every time I see it.

Yes, I know it's petty
    That reminds me, one of my facebook friends consistently spells "awful" as "aweful"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl76 View Post
    Lol I just remembered a real estate sign near my house. It's attached to a shop, and says "guilt edged property". I laugh so much when I walk past. I don't think I want a property that makes me feel awful thanks.
    I know where you live! lol That sounds creepy. No, I've seen this sign too, even took a picture of it to post on FB and share my annoyance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I knew someone who used to talk about playing badminton, and then he wrote an email about "babmington" - which is how he thought it was written

I tend to pronounce a lot of Australian place names incorrectly, as (being from England) I approach them with an English pronunciation. E.g., "Woo-looooon-gabah" (for "Woollongabba"), "Ba-leen-ah" (Ballina), "Ya-tah-la" (Yatala), etc.

The funniest one was when my English friend, who was visiting, asked "What's with this place name? Indoor-ooply?" (Indooripilly - pronounced 'Indro-pilly' by the locals). It's now known as 'Indoor-ooply' by all who know him...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    OMG it ISN'T for all intensive purposes???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!

The horror alright haha - I always!!!!! say that!!!!!!!

And sorry about the exclamations people - I know that annoys some of you and that they are probably not used correctly!!

I cant believe it is for all intents and purposes!!!! Ha ha how freaking embarrassing!
    the good thing is that they sort of sound the same, so people probably didn't notice.

My SIL is a chronic abuser of exclamation marks. Every FB status update has about five after every sentence. She's about to go teach English overseas...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInMellie View Post
    I know where you live! lol That sounds creepy. No, I've seen this sign too, even took a picture of it to post on FB and share my annoyance.
    I just saw you live in Yarraville. So yep, same sign. I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I knew someone who used to talk about playing badminton, and then he wrote an email about "babmington" - which is how he thought it was written

I tend to pronounce a lot of Australian place names incorrectly, as (being from England) I approach them with an English pronunciation. E.g., "Woo-looooon-gabah" (for "Woollongabba"), "Ba-leen-ah" (Ballina), "Ya-tah-la" (Yatala), etc.

The funniest one was when my English friend, who was visiting, asked "What's with this place name? Indoor-ooply?" (Indooripilly - pronounced 'Indro-pilly' by the locals). It's now known as 'Indoor-ooply' by all who know him...
    I think Yat-ala sounds so much nicer than Yat-la. I've always wanted to say it like that, but assume it'll meet opposition.

Do you say too-wong as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOVING this thread!
    As the child of a primary school principal, grammar and punctuation was drummed in very early on for me!
    My mum was very impressed when I told her of this thread!
    I have so many instances and stories where my 'shackles rose' with bad spelling and punctuation.... Will have to read back and see if I have any that haven't been share already!
    One for now though...
    A lovely friend, trying to make me feel good, gave me a card this morning...
    'Your very special. You do a lot for others - Never under-estimate the power you have on they're lifes'

She is a primary school teacher...! :0(
    I felt terrible for automatically correcting the many mistakes in my head, instead of focusing on the lovely thought!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The words "of a night time" instead of "at night" in a sentence bug me...