Closed Thread
Page 19 of 98 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hi Guys,

In relation to this thread - please try and be friendly, polite and constructive. A vent is one thing .... but remember that everyone is different, everyone expresses themselves differently and people get very upset when they are criticised over minor issues or errors.

Any post in this thread which causes offense, is directed at an individual or group of people or is rude will be deleted and the thread closed.

In relation to the word Nazi - as much as it may be generally acccepted by some - it is Quite offensive to many, especially if you are calling someone else a Nazi (eg grammar nazi, breastfeeding nazi etc).

We therefore respectfully request that people NOT use this term.

Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand why people may find 'Nazi' offensive, both my Grandfathers fought in the war and they remained angry and bitter for years. One of them refused to buy anything Japanese or German, ever! But the word has changed meaning overtime. When people use it, it's not because they are being disrespectful, it's because they are using a word that is in effect a new word.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Alright. So, back on topic. Any further grammar and spelling vents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seen/ saw is one error that I see often. From my understanding, seen should only be used if following "have". So you might say "I saw many dresses today" or "I have seen many dresses today".
    I'm not professing to be perfect in regards to spelling and grammar, so I am pleased to be studying a unit on grammar as part of my teacher education course. There are so many rules that I know to be true in regards to grammar, but I don't necessarily know the name of the rule, so to speak. The unit I am studying focuses on the metalanguage related to grammar and written texts, which is of great interest to me!

I am also admitting to being a shameless over-user of ellipses and exclamation marks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Naebie, how could I have forgotten that one?! I hate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    PMSL - A person needs to realise they are 'lacking' in knowledge beore they realise they need to look it up.

I can't stand a holier-than-thou, I-know-it-all-so-why-don't-you attitude either.

BTW - a dictionery will tell you the meaning of words, not who to construct a gammatically correct sentence, and a dictionary won't give you a humble outlook of life either.

This, and every other forum, is made up of a HUGE cross section of people from all walks of life, with various levels of education including ESL, various disabies and challenges and poor typists like me.
    What's PMSL?
    This thread is for people who get annoyed by spelling and grammatical errors,we are not judging poor typists,ESL,or the disabled.It's totally understandable that a person with ESL may have poor spelling,but that doesn't mean that you wallow in self pity because of this.
    And it's not a holier-than-thou attitude,I have incorrect spelling/grammar on occasions,but I'm always willing to learn.You can't come into this thread and say "I have poor typing,so please don't judge me" .This is a general "Spelling and Grammar Vent thread" .

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could do this all day...

When people say "I could care less", they mean "I couldn't care less". I notice this a lot on American television.

Compliment/complement: compliment means an expression of praise, complement means something that contributes to or completes something else.

"Hone in" instead of "Home in": think of homing pigeons when describing "homing in" on something, as opposed to "honing" which means to "to sharpen", eg honing my cooking skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just thought of another

I know someone who always writes "auful" and "aufully" Drives me mad every time I see it.

Yes, I know it's petty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I just remembered a real estate sign near my house. It's attached to a shop, and says "guilt edged property". I laugh so much when I walk past. I don't think I want a property that makes me feel awful thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl76 View Post
    Lol I just remembered a real estate sign near my house. It's attached to a shop, and says "guilt edged property". I laugh so much when I walk past. I don't think I want a property that makes me feel awful thanks.
    Omg how funny.