Closed Thread
Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didnt use irregardless ????? The normalization and commonplace use of terms especially n@zi is a huge thing on my life and psyche and I am overly passionate about it for many reasons and will vehemently oppose it where ever when ever I can and will not soften my stance ever. It is a huge slap in the face to be told it's okay to use it 'cause other people have used it. There are so many other words that are more apt and that don't have such offensive or sad historical significance

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I didnt use irregardless ????? The normalization and commonplace use of terms especially n@zi is a huge thing on my life and psyche and I am overly passionate about it for many reasons and will vehemently oppose it where ever when ever I can and will not soften my stance ever. It is a huge slap in the face to be told it's okay to use it 'cause other people have used it. There are so many other words that are more apt and that don't have such offensive or sad historical significance
    I didn't mean to imply that you used it, I just thought of it .

I didn't say that it's okay to use the word "nazi" because other people use it, rather that it's legitimate to use it because it has new accepted meanings. These meanings are not just accepted socially but also lexicographically (okay, that's my new favourite word). You may not like it, but you cannot dispute its legitimacy (or call those that use it an "ignorant few").
    Last edited by lambjam; 02-03-2011 at 13:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So some starts to use the word wh0re to describe a women in a general sense which in turn legitimizes it so all of society can then use it as they please or I have no right to object to a word usuage? It's first in best dressed? I don't agree and reserve my right to object 'till my dying breath I can dispute it's legitimacy as much as Iike and will call it out everytime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It used to be okay to say 'I worked like a n1663r' / many people used it. Some would say 'I did the work of 10 k@ffirs'. It is now socially unacceptable. So how is it okay to say that to be pedantic is the same as being a n@zi. The logic fails me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Language evolves, words change meaning over time; it's called etymology and I think it's really quite fabulous.

If you went back in time to the 13th century and called someone "nice", you'd be in all sorts of trouble because it meant "foolish". A couple of hundred years further back and you would be very popular if you called someone "silly" because it meant "blessed".

You yourself used the example "sophist". I'm sure you didn't for a moment think anyone on BH living in the year 2011 would claim to be "a paid teacher of philosophy and rhetoric in Greece in the Classical and Hellenistic periods"; you almost certainly meant the modern meaning which has evolved from this, "a person who reasons with clever but false arguments". http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/e...m_en_gb0792530

In terms of etymology, the evolution of the word "Nazi" is almost identical to that of "sophist"; an underlying trait of a specific group of people has been identified and applied to a broader group of people.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (02-03-2011),Mezmerised  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WCM chill woman! We all acknowledge your views on the misapplication of the word Nazi thankyou. This is a vent thread about grammar and punctuation. You seem to be taking this all as some kind of personal attack. Let's just stay friendly and chilled.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    N@zi will only become an accepted noun when and if the masses accept it and while the memory of the attrocities are alive in people today who suffered under that regime, we owe it to them to not accept the common place usage of this term. The common place usage of nxxx further gives the holocaust deniers more leverage to sprout their delude diatribe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

fiddlesticks  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I defer to the Oxford English Dictionary. You may like to take it up with them, instead of calling people "ignorant" when they use the term in accordance the dictionary.

In the meantime, this would make a great spin-off thread

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

naebie  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Workingclassmum - I understand that you find the word offensive, but I do agree with Lambjam in that the use of the word has shifted now. Our language is continually evolving, and there are many words in common use now that would have been deemed offensive years ago (and vice versa). I do not link it with giving Holocaust deniers more ammunition.

I understand that's what it means for you, and I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive to that fact, but language is such a fluid thing. I know someone from an older generation who bitterly resents the word 'gay' no longer being used to mean 'happy'. (He has no problem with what it represents now - just that the word has taken on a new meaning).

Anyway - this is definitely an interest debate for all things linguistic!

Oh - also wanted to say that I totally agree with the point made regarding this thread being used for people to vent their pet peeves, and not for anyone to look down on another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahahaha this thread has made my day. I wonder how many who contributed to it have read over their post a hundred times so they don't contradict themselves
    The abundant passive aggressiveness is HILARIOUS.