Closed Thread
Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For those who have issues with this thread, consider it this way - these are our issues. It doesn't mean we don't like you/won't help you/won't reply etc. It's just things that get us - like the colour green annoys some people. It might be weird but it doesn't mean they hate everyone who wears it. If you want advice though it seems the ladies in here are in no way about to jump you or anything, please ask.

For me, I have fairly mild issues that if I was a child today would probably see me labelled as OCD, Aspergers and ADHD. So if you take the OCD and add in the observant nature from the aspie you'll see I am prone to notice things that other people wouldn't even realise were there.

Then add in the fact that my background is in print advertising (good fit, lol). If I made a mistake or didn't pick something up in those ads, I was actually liable to be sued as were my clients, my employer and so on in the event that one wrong word changed the representation of the product/service - aka false/misleading/deceptive advertising. So I HAD to notice. I'd have clients who would suffer from their own clients if something had a mistake in it that was just grammar or similar, demanding their money back for that week.

Anyway basically I spent a good deal of my working week 'proofing' so I notice. I get the urge sometimes to sit when I'm reading my chick lit escapism books with a red pen and fix all the mistakes that have made it to print I'd probably love to be a sub-editor. That'd be a good role for me.

Anyway it's not about YOU. It's about me. I would NEVER in a million years go into your thread and not respond because your sentence structure is a bit off. I'd never go in on an unrelated topic and tell you that your grammar is wrong. No way, no how. I might have my issues about this but I also like to live my life as a nice person!!

Ok, now that's out, I think I've seen most of not all issues of mine in here. I hate posting from my phone in here because I'm guaranteed to make a mistake or get auto-corrected without knowing and then I can't go back and edit.

I find seen/saw, bought/brought, did/done are all things I struggle with but they are also really common so maybe I just run into them more. I think my issue is grammar more than spelling in general.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimsie For This Useful Post:

4fullstop  (01-03-2011),naebie  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this has been said but it's appalling not appauling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mimsie View Post
    I think I've seen most of not all issues of mine in here.
    Sorry Mimsie, couldn't resist pointing this out

I would love to be an editor because I can NOT read something without picking up mistakes (although mostly spelling errors - I still have a fair bit to learn about grammar!)

Nothing sends me more insane than reading a published book and finding it full of mistakes. I can't remember which book it was but I once had one so bad that I went through it with a highlighter and then sent it back to the publisher

Thanks
    Reviews
    lololol oops promise it was a mistake hahahahaha i and o are right next to each other and I have puffy fingers today

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF baby brain had me miss that even though I read it through something like five times first!

Oh a friend and I would sit at work and go through the paper each morning (our paper - regional one we worked at) and highlight the errors. I'd leave it sitting out whenever the managing editor walked past was quite fun. My favourites are things like double words on the front page headline when it changes lines aka:

SPIKE IN
    IN PRICES

or when it says 'sub-head here' instead of the sub-heading. They are always fun and very common in little papers!
    Last edited by mimsie; 01-03-2011 at 11:19.

MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but using a instead of an. I think this is what annoys me the most!!

Example:
    You are AN amazing person.

If the word following begins with a vowel (aeiou) use AN, not A

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how I feel about this issue. I'm usually really careful about using correct spelling and grammar when I write.

On the other hand, though, I understand that not everyone learned English as their first language, had problems with their education or learning difficulties, etc.

But I love to hate 'orientated'.
    Last edited by mamatochompers; 01-03-2011 at 11:30.

MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatochompers View Post

On the other hand, though, I understand that not everyone learned English as their first language, etc.
    I agree 100%. Even though I feel sorry for these people I still can't help but to correct it in my head and secretly wish they could read minds haha.

My parents are French and they spoke to us in French majority of the time. I do feel like it played a part in the lack of knowledge with my English in some parts like verbs, nouns etc. Those things always confuse me lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabelline View Post
    I hate bad books, not only errors, but too many adverbs. If there is more than 3 on the first page, I bin it. An author should be able to think of better verbs.

My other pet peeve is mispronounciation. The current nurofen ad makes me cringe when hayley Lewis says I should drink a glass of "wadar". It is waTer, with a T!!!
    Ooh Hayley Lewis is the WORST for pronounciation! On Biggest Loser she always says "afficially" instead of "officially". Drives me MAD!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    See, I don't get this. If you can spell, and you understand grammar, doesn't it just come naturally? I couldn't imagine being too busy not to spell properly. It would actually take me MORE time not to.
    I agree. See, to me they are completely different words (eg your and you're) so I don't think about which one it is - it's not an issue.

To me.

I understand that not everyone thinks the way I do, but this is a vent thread so I'm not going to apologise (or should I listen to my laptop and change that to apologize?) for it annoying me.

Another one I see on here all the time - peadiatrician/pead. It's appauling

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mimsie View Post
    For me, I have fairly mild issues that if I was a child today would probably see me labelled as OCD, Aspergers and ADHD. So if you take the OCD and add in the observant nature from the aspie you'll see I am prone to notice things that other people wouldn't even realise were there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodel View Post
    I would love to be an editor because I can NOT read something without picking up mistakes (although mostly spelling errors - I still have a fair bit to learn about grammar!)

Nothing sends me more insane than reading a published book and finding it full of mistakes. I can't remember which book it was but I once had one so bad that I went through it with a highlighter and then sent it back to the publisher
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was so incredibly painful that I could hardly enjoy it for all the errors! And as for Stephenie Meyer, I desperately wanted to offer to proof-read her final book before it was given the same treatment as her others .

I will admit that I do have OCD, and an incredibly big part of it (in my case) manifests in reading and writing. As a child I was an avid reader, and by the age of 8 I could speed read very well. Once my OCD took hold of reading (a bit of self-punishment I suspect, as it was my favourite past-time) I could no longer read without reading every single minute detail; every comma, every apostrophe, I take it all in. I gave up recreational reading for a while in my teens because it became so very difficult. It's all good now, I long ago figured out how to work with it and I'm a book worm again (just a pedantic one ).

Another thing I wanted to add is that I do not read other people's posts and judge them for their spelling, grammar, or punctuation (and yes, that comma is there on purpose, I hold strongly that commas have a place at the end of lists!). I have been commenting on things that annoy me, not the people who write them .
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-03-2011 at 12:34.