+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    best is to find a local with some...
    I'm in Brissy and happy to share some, but that doesn't help you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a lady who said she got some good quality grains on EBay, I was actually going to have a look for some water grains on there as I'd like to try them as well.

it does take some getting used to the taste, I have given grains to a lot of friends and they haven't kept up with it as they don't like it. I did just try Izy's idea of adding raw sugar and apple puree and it was great that way, probably a good way to start drinking it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I don't suppose you have the ebay sellers name at all do you? I'm not really an ebay person - trust issues with technology - but if they come recommended then maybe it'd be okay.

I was also wondering if the yeasts in kefir are a problem for those who have candida issues at all?
    Last edited by summerly; 10-06-2011 at 12:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a look on eBay and although I am not sure who my friend got her grains from there I would recommend a seller called tumbletree, she has over 500 sales and 100% feedback, and is using her own raw milk. It sounds like she provides good support after the sale and you get a free book for download, her price was about $10. I would post the link but Am on my iPad and have no idea how

Let me know if you have any trouble, I could look into trying to post some of mine out to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into tumbletree on ebay and see how to go about it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, after all this time I've finally ordered some kefir grains. Anxiously awaiting their delivery! I'm really hoping that they are good and live up to all the hype. It would be so great to be able to say that it's helped clear up any health problems. Anyone else out there still using kefir?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Looshkin View Post
    I do. and yeah the powder isn't real kefir.. it's sorta just the strain the kefir grains put out but it'll never develop into grains like the actual grains grow and multiply. Sorta like yoghurt culture I guess? you need to use fresh culture for each batch.

I make a batch daily, I use cleos raw milk, once I use it I just pour what I'll use the next day into the bowl.

I mostly make a smoothie in the morning with frozen strawberries, banana, the kefir and a bit of manuka honey. As it gets colder I switch smoothies for porridge and cook the porridge quite dry with a vanilla bean and some dried cranberries, and as it cools slightly mix the kefir on the top with some lsa and frozen bluberries.

But I also use it in place of yoghurt on top of curries or as a starter for baking bread, or naans or english muffins... it makes a really delicious lacto-fermented sourdough.

Water kefir is lovely too, you can make all sorts of sweet drinks like a water kefir gingerbeer.

I am not Esther, you should look at getting some http://www.nuferm.com.au/products/fo...nic-2012-blend

It's much better than yakult or those acidoph capsules which are kinda crap, your body has loads of strains of bacteria and yeast in different parts of your gi tract, and those ones are limited since theyre all milk based, this one has a bunch of bacterias naturally fermented from all the foods, rather than a lab grown culture. My partner and I've been using it for a couple of years and after a few months he could drink milk again and had no IBS symptoms anymore, and I notice a huge difference in my gut health when I run out =)
    Thanks for the link and FANTASTIC ideas I've been meaning to start Kefir, just have my mind on other things, is this one you've linked dairy free also? I'm gluten and dairy free.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got some! Yay! Just tried my first bit and it's quite interesting. I think it's a bit cidery? slightly fizzy. But I'm going to try it with some sweet fruits and see how that goes. Maybe tonight, because I think it's a bit alcoholic isn't it? I'm really hoping it's my miracle cure. Has anyone got any good recipes to go with kefir?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Izy

I'm from Brisbane. I would like some Kefir grains to try out. Are you able to spare some?
    Thanks
    Yee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been making kefir for a little while but it still keeps me guessing. I think I killed my milk grains so got some new ones, but they're taking a long time to make the kefir. I'm wondering if I'm just having slightly soured milk! But if the grains are multiplying I assume they're making kefir?

I make water kefir too. Those guys multiply so fast!