+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just picked up a nature's goodness kefir box. It's got 5 sachets in it. I'm a little confused about it. I thought once you had your grains growing that you could keep culturing them forever. However, on the box it says that each sachet can only make about 5 litres? I'm confused. Does anyone have any tips for me please? I'd like to give it a go but have no idea what I'm doing. Is it good for kids to drink as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    keep going! Once they're healthy just strain and pour more milk over The taste will change and develop as the culture does.

My son has some of it semi-regularly. The milk is changed by the culture and so often even lactose intolerant kids can have some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, so can anyone tell if I've done this right. I washed out a glass jar and put in milk and the powder that came in the sachet, then I put on the lid and put it in the cupboard for about 2 days. I think that things are starting to grow, but they aren't big enough to strain. I tried, it all went straight through. So I just added a little more milk and put it back in the cupboard. Is this right? I don't really know what I am doing. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, just forgot to add, I've been reading that there is a difference in culturing kefir depending on whether or not you use actual kefir grains as opposed to the powder type starter. From what I've read, it says that the starter won't actually make real kefir with all of the right stuff in it. It will be lacking in some of the organisms that you get using real kefir grains. Is this true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    never used the powder, but that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do. and yeah the powder isn't real kefir.. it's sorta just the strain the kefir grains put out but it'll never develop into grains like the actual grains grow and multiply. Sorta like yoghurt culture I guess? you need to use fresh culture for each batch.

I make a batch daily, I use cleos raw milk, once I use it I just pour what I'll use the next day into the bowl.

I mostly make a smoothie in the morning with frozen strawberries, banana, the kefir and a bit of manuka honey. As it gets colder I switch smoothies for porridge and cook the porridge quite dry with a vanilla bean and some dried cranberries, and as it cools slightly mix the kefir on the top with some lsa and frozen bluberries.

But I also use it in place of yoghurt on top of curries or as a starter for baking bread, or naans or english muffins... it makes a really delicious lacto-fermented sourdough.

Water kefir is lovely too, you can make all sorts of sweet drinks like a water kefir gingerbeer.

I am not Esther, you should look at getting some http://www.nuferm.com.au/products/fo...nic-2012-blend

It's much better than yakult or those acidoph capsules which are kinda crap, your body has loads of strains of bacteria and yeast in different parts of your gi tract, and those ones are limited since theyre all milk based, this one has a bunch of bacterias naturally fermented from all the foods, rather than a lab grown culture. My partner and I've been using it for a couple of years and after a few months he could drink milk again and had no IBS symptoms anymore, and I notice a huge difference in my gut health when I run out =)
    Last edited by Looshkin; 05-05-2011 at 14:35.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Looshkin For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (06-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I just saw this, I can't believe there are others on here that grow kefir! I snuck my grains in from America about 6 years ago I have been giving them away for years as well but no one else keeps it up. I have some massive beautiful grains, I do mine daily as there are so many grains at the moment it ferments really fast. I use raw goat's milk.

I haven't tried raw sugar and apple, that sounds nice. I mix it with passionfruit when its in season, and make smoothies for the kids with banana, berries, kefir, honey, almond milk and spirulina. They also have a bit in their milk cups in the morning but won't drink it plain. I drink a little glass of it plain every night before dinner.

Did you know you can marinate meat in it? I will mix the kefir with a bit of coconut oil (you could use olive oil), some grated ginger and garlic, and coriander, and marinate chicken thigh fillets or breasts for a few hours before grilling or pan frying. One of our favourite meals!

I have always wanted to try the water ones. Looshkin very cool that you use it as a bread starter, I have used the whey to give my sourdough starter a treat but never tried a lacto-fermented one.

Definitely subscribing to this thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    ooohhhh that sounds worth trying on the meat!

And I wouldn't have issues with excess grains. I like to eat them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, the powder form didn't work so well, and honestly I didn't like it all that much. Where can I get some actual grains in melbourne? Queen Vic markets? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!

Just asking again where everyone got their kefir grains from? Not happy with the kefir starter powder I tried. Is it worth trying ebay?

I've read so much about the health benefits of kefir that I'd really like to try some.