+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In a term of affects on the body. I believe that anorexia is worse. For the most part most symptoms of obesity can be reversed after losing weight. Unless in extreme conditions You can reverse most if not all effects of obesity.

Anorexia will leave lasting effects on your body. Things that are irreversible. Heart problems/kidney problems/stomach ulcers/ all the number of things that can go wrong.

The two are quite incomparable but if you look at it as damage on the body You can see which is worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They aren't even comparable.

I think that comparing them can be very dangerous...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freya For This Useful Post:

CrankyAndTired  (23-02-2011),LoveLivesHere  (23-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Obesity is an eating disorder? How is that so?

Obesity is a condition, a medical one. I understand that symptoms of eating disorders can lead to obesity (same with being overweight)...but I've never heard Obesity itself being referred to as an eating disorder?

Like I said in my PP, obesity and A.N. are not comparable. Never have been, never will be. Both are dangerous though, obviously. In my own personal experience though, A.N. required a long stay in hospital (and it certainly wasn't just therapy, I needed a ****load of medical care too). Being overweight hinders my health, but doesn't require me to go to hospital. Of course though, if I keep going like I am, it's only a matter of time before I develop diabetes or end up in hospital for heart problems. So bring on Monday lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

CrankyAndTired  (23-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    i think you are going to create alot of anger from this thread... the two cant - and shouldnt- be compared. nor should we try to judge which is worse disease. they both have horribly detrimental effects both physically & pschologically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far out Limey - I never knew that about obesity. I would love to know more about it (not that I don't believe you, I'm just genuinely very curious) - what if someone is morbidly obese but they feel completely in control of what they eat? (I know someone like this)....does that mean they have an E.D. and just don't know/acknowledge it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Far out Limey - I never knew that about obesity. I would love to know more about it (not that I don't believe you, I'm just genuinely very curious) - what if someone is morbidly obese but they feel completely in control of what they eat? (I know someone like this)....does that mean they have an E.D. and just don't know/acknowledge it?

You dont become morbidly obese without being out of control (medical issues aside) So yeah anyone who is MO and thinks they are in control is just in denial. coming from someone with weight issues, its so easy to turn around and say Im happy im fine blah blah im in control... but the fact is no one wants to weigh 150 kilos No one wants to be obese. Its lying to yourself to justify what you've become

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

The Girls Only Club  (23-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    O.L. Are you referring to Binge Eating Disorder? That is an eating disorder that results in morbid obesity.. and could be comparable (as its a recognized disease) to anorexia or bulimia..

Perhaps things have changed but when I studied psychology obesity on its own was not a psychological disorder on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was reading an article and came across this:
    Obese people do not seem to have any more psychological problems, or more serious psychological problems, than folks of normal weight. The problems they do have are more likely a consequence of prejudice and discrimination than a cause of overweight. In fact, several studies have suggested that the obese are significantly less anxious and depressed than normal-weight peers.
    Found from http://www.healthyplace.com/eating-d...er/menu-id-58/

I'm interested to find a more in-depth study on this (but will have to wait as I'm on my phone with mischievous monkeys running around)

Just wondering what you think, or if any one can post something more in depth (for or against)
    I would love to know more, as pinkzy said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    You dont become morbidly obese without being out of control (medical issues aside) So yeah anyone who is MO and thinks they are in control is just in denial. coming from someone with weight issues, its so easy to turn around and say Im happy im fine blah blah im in control... but the fact is no one wants to weigh 150 kilos No one wants to be obese. Its lying to yourself to justify what you've become
    I agree with this.

A family member is morbidly obese - and is honestly the biggest person I've ever seen. She doesn't exercise much (but isn't non-active either as she does walk a fair bit and has a young child) - she also isn't on any sort of diet and does eat what she wants.

I have feared for her well being for a long time - and still do - but I don't dare say anything to her about it. Nobody does. Which is stupid really, we should be able to voice our concerns about it but if we do, she'll take it as a personal attack and as us "calling her fat" instead of seeing it as an attempt to help her save her own life.

It's OK for people to make comments about how skinny someone is - even when they're underweight....but the moment anyone wants to genuinely intervene and help a morbidly obese woman from eating herself to death, it's not OK. How is it that society became this messed up when it comes to diet? No wonder the obesity epidemic is the way it is. We're all too scared of offending the person with obvious, serious eating problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone who has suffered from various eating disorders (binge eating, bulimia, ednos and close to anorexia) and been at both ends of the scale - I cannot compare the two and how I felt in both of them.... I think that some unedrlying issues may be the same with them, but people deal with things in different ways....

I personally believe that there are permanent ill effects from both - obesity does have long lasting health effects and does an and bulimia... My teeth are crap, I have excess skin, I have kidney problems, etc... all as a result of one of my ed's.....

I think the debate about what is classed as en ad is kind of null - they both do damange to the body, mind and spirit and should be seen for what they are as each one is different for each sufferer......

*maybe a trigger warning in the title too* (please, I just got a bit triggered reading some of the posts - TA)