+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a fan of loft beds (top bunk with no bottom bunk) to allow the space underneath to be used. Six of my children (and myself) have them, with the second youngest receiving hers for her 3rd birthday - though hers is only 135cm, the others are 165cm high.

My baby is only 2yo and she isn't allowed in her sisters beds. Occasionally she decides she want to - likely because they've encouraged her - but we all have to be stern with her and she stops.

However, since heat rises and it is quite hot at the moment, Miss16 has been sleeping on a foam mattress on her bedroom floor, as it is too hot in her bed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I was planning on getting a bunk bed for DS' 5th birthday which is coming up soon - we wanted one with a double bed at the bottom and single at the top.

Went to look at some and it recommends no bunk beds until age nine. I was surprised at this because I thought they'd been made much safer than they used to be and TBH I think they're much more appealing to younger kids.

I'm not going to get him one now, maybe a king single with trundle or something like that.. but what's your thoughts? Is there one I could get with better railing or something along those lines more appropriate for a younger child?
    I don't know, but we might be getting bunks from my dad (single up top and double futon on the bottom) if we do get them Hayley will be on the bottom first and noone up top, then when Nathan leaves the cot he or Skye will be on the bottom, then Hayley (who will be 8) up top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nat84u View Post
    I think they just say that to cover their own butts in case something did happen.

I looked into getting a bunk for my DD (she was 4 at the time) but it was a single on top, with railings all around and it had a pull out desk underneath and bookshelves and storage. Only reason I didn't get it is because she still gets out of bed during the night and I didn't want her tripping down the ladder while half asleep.

I seem to remember me and my brother having bunks when I was 6 or so and he was 4. And they were the old style pole bunks with just one railing that you can easily slip through. The ones around now would be alot safer!
    Hayley has these bunks at her dads, they got given to us a few years ago. We've never used the top part, just for storage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I boys have been in a bunk since 3.5 and 2. DS1 up top, DS2 down the bottom.
    The rule is they only go up top to sleep and they abide by that.

The top rail goes all the way around apart from the gap where the ladder joins.
    DS1 who is now 5 has been able to go up and down the ladder during the night to use the loo since he started sleeping up there.

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS has had a bunk bed since he was 4.5 and as you know, that kid never stops moving. But we've never had an issue with his bed. I'm planning on getting rid of his old bunk soon and getting him one of those cute ikea ones with the star canopies. When he's grown out of it I'll get him a double and DD1 can have it

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest girls have a set of bunks and they are 5 and 4. Turning 5 and 6 this year. Have been in bunks for around 6 months now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids & bunk beds

I just got some that are only 1.2 m high - low lying bunks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids & bunk beds

You mentioned a trundle, which we have. We have a king single King Koil Overnighter. It's fantastic. You can pull out the trundle (which is a proper innerspring mattress, not foam like the other ones I had seen) and put up the legs to make it as tall as the bed. So it can actually be used as a double bed for guests.

Being a king single it will suit him when he is a big tall teenager

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently got mr 5.5 a double/single bunk.

He knows he sleeps on the bottom only (which is easy because he likes someone laying with him putting him to sleep hence the double)
    He's only allowed up the top if reading a book or quiet activity by himself ..... because he lives being up there.
    He's not allowed up if there's people over.

He's stuck to these rules well so far.