+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what no bunks till 9..that's a bit harsh. I agree I think they are covering their butts.

I'm actually thinking of getting DD a bunk the ones with a pull out table and drawers down the bottom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    nine??? by nine i was almost bored by my bunk (not quite though...i kept it till i was 15, and then got another one when i was 21 ). I was in it from about 3/4? dad built it when my brother was less than a year, we have pictures of him in his cot under my bunk and me in the bunk - so maybe 3.5

I love bunks, i think they're awesome - although i think wooden frame ones are better. (mine was physically built into the house, so it didn't move, and the ladder had really wide steps ) and my bestie had one that was made out of wooden but separate from the house, but a lot sturdier than the metal frames i've seen.

I think children learn how to live in their bunks very quickly neither me nor any of my friends ever fell out - and the boys only jumped off of the lower ones (so chest height?) - mine was massively high and we'd jump off the ladder, but not the actual bed .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I must be a very bad parent because my girls are 4 and 2 y.o. and they are in bunks

My eldest has fallen off the top bunk because she was being silly and let me tell you, she learnt her lesson! We have a very strict "no play" rule on the top bunk and she's not allowed to get off the bunk at night. She has to call us.

My bestie has low lying Bunkers bunk beds that are the L-shaped ones and she raves about them. Our kids are the same age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just as a warning (and I have loft beds for my 3 and 4 yr olds) is that the jumping from the top bunk is not the most dangerous thing.
    When I was 6, I electrocuted myself by standing on the top bunk, removing the light bulb, sticking my finger in the socket and my little sister (18 mnths younger) flicked the switch. With circuit breakers these days the risk is lessened, but it will still likely end up with burns.
    So just make sure that you keep an eye on them if they are awake and on the top bunk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-02-2011)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just wrote my big post about DS's bunkbed, but deleted it and thought I'd just give this piece of advice...
    It is so frustrating changing sheets on the top bunk

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-02-2011),Gandalf  (22-02-2011),mrsdj1234  (22-02-2011),MsViking  (09-09-2016),share a book  (22-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we actually have a futon bunk in our spare room and the top bunk is pretty useless because of the ceiling fan. DD wants one of those beds with the desk under it but she has a homework desk in our spare room which doubles as an office/school work/study room.

We had bunks as kids and I was always on the bottom (being the youngest) until my brother got his own room at the age of 12 when downstairs was finished being built. I then used the bunk bed an slept on the top until I was about 16 and bought myself the queen size bed that I still have now. It was an L shape one with a wardrobe at the end. Our school uniforms went in that wardrobe and we had 1 good set of clothes each that also went in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2 of my girls have bunks..they've had them for years. No accidents so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a bunk as a kid, from about 4-9. I remember my brother jumping on the top bunk and breaking the slats, he got a huge gash down the side of his arm from the broken slats when he fell through. Him and his friend even made it tip one day, while one was up the top and the other was pulling on it.

My sister who was 18 months was climbing up the stairs, when she fell back from the top, and proceeded to have a fit. I was so scared and didn't know what to do.

Yeah I don't think ill be getting my kids a bunk til they are old enough to be responsible on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @London SO true!!! My daughter now doesn't sleep with a top sheet, she keept pulling it off so Igave up on it! and just sleeps with the bottom sheet and a doona.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a big fan of Bunk Beds. I brought one when I was 17 that lasted me till I moved in with my Ex at 20 and Should in theory last one of my kids till they buy a double. It is From Bunkers and the base & Ends can be converted from the Cot to a toddler bed to a single to bunks with 4 different heights for the 2 mattresses as they can be flipped (IE what is the top one way is the bottom the other)

I however am one of these kids who was on a bunk before 9 and fell out.. Right onto a Brass dolls Cradle.. and let me tell you.. Brass pipe causes holes. Also older sisters don't like you falling on their favourite doll in the doll's cradle on their birthday as a wake up..