+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Kids & bunk beds

I was planning on getting a bunk bed for DS' 5th birthday which is coming up soon - we wanted one with a double bed at the bottom and single at the top.

Went to look at some and it recommends no bunk beds until age nine. I was surprised at this because I thought they'd been made much safer than they used to be and TBH I think they're much more appealing to younger kids.

I'm not going to get him one now, maybe a king single with trundle or something like that.. but what's your thoughts? Is there one I could get with better railing or something along those lines more appropriate for a younger child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine are all in bunks, we have no choice really, and there have been no injuries or incidents in 8 years so we're going ok.

I can see why the recommendations are there but we have a strict NO play on the top bunk and so far that's worked here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think they just say that to cover their own butts in case something did happen.

I looked into getting a bunk for my DD (she was 4 at the time) but it was a single on top, with railings all around and it had a pull out desk underneath and bookshelves and storage. Only reason I didn't get it is because she still gets out of bed during the night and I didn't want her tripping down the ladder while half asleep.

I seem to remember me and my brother having bunks when I was 6 or so and he was 4. And they were the old style pole bunks with just one railing that you can easily slip through. The ones around now would be alot safer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roopee that's a very sensible rule.
    The issues with bunks is kids jump off them. No amount of rails will stop them so that's why they are no safer now than 20 years (or 40 years) ago. Because kids are still the same. They jump off them when you're not looking. Especially boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't remember having anything different up until the age of about 13.

DS wish he had a bunk bed and I would get him one if space wasn't a problem (his room has a sloping roof). If I thought that it would be a problem- I would start him out on the bottom bunk (although probably defiet the purpose being a double).

Oh- if you got a double, than at least he'd be safe if he fell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Oh- if you got a double, than at least he'd be safe if he fell!
    That's what I was thinking

Now I think about it, I don't think I'll bother TBH. It'll be hard for him because he had his heart set on it through no encouragement of ours but he is a little daredevil and STILL gets out of bed at night so maybe a king single (or even double) might be better for now without the bunk. I want something that will last him until he's old enough to buy his own bed basically lol.. he's had more beds in his 5 years on earth than I have in my 27 years

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Mine are all in bunks, we have no choice really, and there have been no injuries or incidents in 8 years so we're going ok.

I can see why the recommendations are there but we have a strict NO play on the top bunk and so far that's worked here.

We have L-shaped bunks that are actually separate beds, and they can play all they like on the bottom bunk, but not the top!! The ones that separate are great too, because when you work out them sharing a room isn't good (just in our case - works well for lots of kids!) it's easy to separate them. We got king singles, and there is room under the bottom one for a trundle, so solving the space and friend over issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just bought a double bunk bed for DS whos 15 month. Mainly because hes tall and sleeps across the bed. Also his room is pretty small so i use top bunk for toys. DSs bed is a black metal frame and i havent put the ladder on. I am going to be using it for guests as well. I prefer it to other beds cos its also very low to the ground. DS is only allowed in his room to sleep and change time though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it will just come down to your kids and how well behaved they are? I was amazed to find the same thing when I went to buy a bunk bed for my boys. As a result, I did seperate the bunk into single beds for the time being - until they need the space in their room more, then I'll change it to the bunk.

My DS1 is about to turn 5 years, I think I would trust him in terms of not jumping off it, but I would worry about him needing to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and falling off the ladder on the way down!

It's a hard one, like someone said, coz when they get older they are over the whole bunk idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking bunks for my boys - but the ceiling fans and their boisterous ways got me thinking no - not ever

We have two doubles and a toddler bed between this lot... bonus with it not being up off the ground ..it is easier to make, spare bed for when we have guests

I'd say it is easier to get double sheets etc than king single.

There are some really nice bunks that are only chest height though - with a trundle or storage. Captains beds I think they call them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-02-2011)