+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had gas and pethadine with all 3 of mine and no side effects at all the pethadine was only allowed to be given to me in the early stages of labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes my son nearly died due to badly timed pethadine
    gas made me feel out of control and gross

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Her?

Well, she couldn't breathe for her first 11 minutes of life, but I think that's because she didn't get to travel down hte birth canal and have all the gunk pushed out of her lungs. Otherwise, she was fine.

I had an "elective" (unwanted) caesarean with a spinal morphine, and from the time I had her (10.55am) up until about 8pm that night, I spewed on myself over and over again (not very pleasant at hte best of times, but worse when you can't do much more than move your arms and neck... lol...). I also was incredibly itchy around my nose (apparently morphine does that to some people - but it never happened when I had morphine via IV during gallbladder attacks...).

That said, I'd rather have had a caesarean with drugs than without... lol... can't imagine being cut up without them!

Seriously though, I don't plan on having any drugs with any future pregnancies... and I doubt I'll be able to anyway as I'll be homebirthing and have no interest in gas (which very few IMs may provide).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a peth shot 5 hours before DS was born, DS was lethargic and sleepy for the first 24 hours of his life but apart from that he was perfect. His APGARS were 9 & 9, he just wanted to sleep! So did Mummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had gas and nothing else. No side effects for either of us

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethadine, and my DD didn't breathe for 11/2 minutes. Quite scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DD6 I was given an inhaler with pain relief. Before giving it, the ambulance staff asked if I, or bubs father, or my other children (basically anyone present) had any respiratory conditions, and only provided it after receiving confirmation that no, no-one had any respiratory conditions to be concerned about.

I sucked fairly heavily on the inhaler for several minutes so likely got a significant dose. My baby was born blue, but pinked up quickly upon oxygen being applied.

----------

When I later inquired about the pain relief medication I was given and any possible effect it could've had on bub, I was told that it was unlikely to effect bub at all, but if anything would've merely interrupted breathing in the short term.

Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that perhaps bub being born blue was due to the pain relief medication. There are no obvious long-term symptoms, though she does have a minor behavioural issue - finger sucking and hair twirling/pulling - and someone suggested a traumatic birth could've contributed to it.

--------

My apologies, but I have since forgotten the name of the active involved.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 10-04-2012 at 01:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethedine during labour. DS was so drugged out when he was born. He couldn't feed properly so they had to feed him formula via a tube down his throat! It was aweful! So I'm NOT having pethedine this time! Gas only for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elective C section, had a spinal block, no side effects for either of us, she was born healthy and was doing everything she should have been doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epidural while in transition, had no idea I was so close though. DD2 was born about 40 minutes later with no side effects, she had apgars of 9 and fed like a pro. She was so alert, she was awake and happy for hours after birth.

With DD1 I don't know if she was effected by the epidural as she was taken to NICU straight away for an unrelated medical condition. The epidural only worked on half my body, I could still feel dull pain on my left side. I have no lasting effects from either of them though.