+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c/s under GA and my daughter came out very sleepy and was taken to NICU overnight with oxygen as she wasnt breathing very well. they said it was from the GA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still have back ache more than a year after the epi and had lost sensation in my bladder for quite some time after though it has come back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an epi, I was vomiting the whole time it was in and DD had a temp which went away quickly after birth. Worst of all I got a migraine from the epi.. It was horrible. And lasted 2 weeks.
    I thought I was going to die.
    Lucky DP was wonderful and helped me latch DD on for feeds as I couldn't and without him doing that I would have lost my milk. We fed for 19 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had Peth with DD1 and all it did for me was make me feel so drugged up and out of it, especially after the birth.
    I dont remember anything from the birth til the next day (so about 12 hours), and IMO I was not capable of looking after a newborn baby in that state, I had no idea how to change her nappy, I remember me just taking a nappy off and putting a new one on, not cleaning the moconium off her bum and me absolutely FREAKING out because she was spitting up mucous and I thought she was dying or something. I had the worst headache too!
    DD1 was also out of it when she was born, she didn't cry when she came out and I was hysterically asking the midwives if she was OK coz she wasn't crying. She was so sleepy for the first 24 hours and hardly fed at all.

sheep is offline You can't change the past, but you can change the way you view it.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had morphine (approx 10 hours before birth), gas and then ended with an epidural/spinal block combo (they were prepping for a c-sec) with my DS1. It's hard to say exactly if he was affected solely by the drugs or not, because of many pregnancy and labour complications. He was born at 30 weeks after PPROM (waters broke at 28wks), he was born with an infection that he caught from me, he was in foetal distress and I believe he was left too long. He was born with an Apgar of 2 (at 1min) and 4 (at 5min), it took a team of neonatal Drs and nurses 10 minutes to resuscitate him (born not breathing and his heart stopped beating too) and 15mins to get him stable enough to get him to the NICU. Not trying to stick up for the drugs or anything, just pointing out that in some situations there are so many contributing factors to consider.

With DS2 I had the gas and an epidural (self medicating - but it didn't work properly) and he was born with Apgars of 6 (at 1min) and 6 (at 5min). He was also premature, born at 34 weeks (after just over 8 weeks of being on drugs to stop labour progressing) and needed to be ventilated at birth.

The only side affects I had was vomiting, that was after the morphine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because I come from the states where epidurals and pain meds are the norm and natural births are "crazy", I know a handful of people that have had problems.

My Mother has been in pain since the day she was given the epidural with me. The dr.s told her it triggered Fybromyalgia and she has suffered ever since. As for whether it had an effect on me, I think she mentioned something about having a problem getting me to breastfeed, but they had also induced her 3 weeks early just because the dr. was going out of town.

Two of my friends had the epidural only work on one half of their bodies. From my birth class the midwife said 1 in 10 women experience this.

My sister suffered a head ache for days, and my niece ended up being vacuumed out because she couldn't feel enough to push. She wasn't breathing when she was born, and was bruised badly for a few days. Though ultimately, she was fine.

I'm so glad to be giving birth in Australia where I can say I want a natural birth and not have people tell me that I am crazy. There are some other stories from friends but not worth telling as they will only scare people who do choose to use medication...and some of them I don't know if they are exaggerating or telling the truth anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No - nothing. I had a spinal and then a C/S. Only drugs afterwards were Paracetamol and Tramadol. No reaction to the spinal or those drugs, and baby was fine with a good Apgar too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My third child was the only one who seemed to suffer any kind of ill effects from meds. I had a pethidine shot and my labour really sped up after that. I know they don't like giving peth within a couple of hours of birth because it can affect the baby adversely but she wasn't expected to come out so fast. She did though and was cold when she came out. She didn't scream when she was born, just gave a couple of squawks but her breathing was ok. She had to spend a lot of time under the heater for the next 24 hours or so but otherwise was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I had DD6 they gave me a puffer, but first asked if I had asthma or any other respiratory problems. They also asked her father, because some escapes into the air and just being close to it could cause problems.

I used it quite heavily for about ten minutes, then DD6 was born blue. She quickly pinked up when oxygen was applied. I later rang up to ask about the medication I had been given. To which I was told - no bub wouldn't have gotten enough to cause any problem, and even if she did all it would've done was made it difficult for her to breathe.

I think there was a good chance it was the medication the resulted in her being born blue. But thankfully there were no lasting effects (that I'm aware of) except perhaps triptolillamania (hair pulling).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethidine about 5-6 hrs before bub was born, no side effects apart from feeling so tired and sleepy. I remember being thirsty and desperately wanting a drink but not having the energy to swallow. Didn't seem to affect bub, he was born alert, given an Apgar of 10 and on the boob feeding within about 20mins. He did spike a temp the following evening due to (according to the paed) being a big baby and a bit dehydrated. Don't know if the peth was to blame for that though.