+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son didn't suffer as much as some of these poor little ones! He was just REALLY drowsy & sluggish for about 48 hours after the birth. He wouldn't feed from me or bottles so we just gave him milk in a syringe for a few days.

I had gas, x2 pethidine injections & an epidural

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an epidural despite desperately wanting a drug free birth, it ended up necessary, couldn't continue without it.

Hayden had no issues at all, he was perfect and breastfed immediately.

I was pretty good at the time, did get the MAJOR shakes from it, but otherwise ok. However, 4 months later, my back, which had been very strong and I'd never had any issues with, slipped a disk with no warning and no vigorous movement - I was simply putting my 4 month old baby down into his cot when it went. I do blame the epidural for it, and my back is still not the same.

despite that, I could not possibly have continued without the epidural, so it doesn't make me regret having it. I do however regret being induced, which is I'm sure what led to me needing it in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My problems started because I was heamoraging (sp?) quite badly hence blood pressure drop so I was given drugs to stop the bleeding and raise my blood pressure whic then made me sick then vomit Which I couldn't do so more drugs for that. I had to keep having drugs for the next few days to keep blood loss down an a few other health problems which made me feel flat and sick alt of the time, vomit plenty too.
    My boys though didn't or don't seem to have been affected in anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine had a few breathing issues, nothing serious, can't remember exactly but the midwife said most likely coz I had peth so close to her birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epi after 3.5 hrs of second stage (nothing at all else prior) DD was born 45 mins later with no issues for either of us.
    DS, I had an epi during transition also nothing else prior and no issues for either of us.
    Both were awake for 3+ hrs post birth and bf like champs from birth (like 20 mins post birth).
    Both born without any other intervention.

I said no to peth with both because I was scared of the babes being born opiate affected. Both were born very quickly post pain relief, so o was glad I declined the peth.

mizzmoo is offline ...in love with princess Sienna...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. DD came out with and APGAR score of 3 and took 15 minutes to get her to 9. I had an emergency c-sec under GA so she was feeling the effects of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Did the medical staff acknowledge that the side effects were from the drugs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Did the medical staff acknowledge that the side effects were from the drugs?
    Yep, i knew the risks before I went under & that it was possible for J to come out blue.

We aren't sure if he was blue from me being open so long or GA getting to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epi with both my boys, was topped up right before giving birth (DH had to put his hand on my belly and tell me when to push for DS2!) and yet both boys came out perfectly fine with a score of 9 straight away. I felt fine, very chirpy lol.

MamaKoala is offline Happy Mummy of 2 Big Boys and a Baby Girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the shakes from the epi and DS1 was very sleepy. His apgar was fine but he was really drowsy and had trouble feeding for the first 12 hours after birth. DS2 and DD were drug free and they were much better feeders right after birth.
    Other side effects not directly related to the epi was the pain from the catheter after it was removed, I couldnt' pee properly for about a week. I did have a dull ache in my back for a day.