• Other

9 12.68%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gender selection

According to this study, Australians are against the idea of gender selection and one of the reason is that there could be an uneven gender ratio (too many boys or too many girls) if parents were allowed to chose.

Do you think this would really be an issue in Australia?

Poll to follow

ETA: this excludes gender selection for medical reasons such as inherited health conditions etc.
    Last edited by sunnymummy; 17-02-2011 at 13:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't do it personally.

We had our babies because we wanted to create a family, and we would have been happy with 2 boys, or 2 girls (as we have) or one of each.

I know that some people really do suffer very deeply from gender disappointment though, and while I don't really understand it, it must be a horrible thing to go through.

ETA I am (most likely) unable to have another baby, and TBH I wouldn't care whether I had another girl or a boy, I would be just happy to have a 3rd child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looking at the poll.. only a few responses...but it is exactly what I expected.

I know in some parts of the world, female children are not as valued as male and often seen as a burden, familes have to pay dowries when girls are married etc but I really don't think that happens here.

WDYT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well i totally understand in places like China , with the whole sex selection thing, not that i agree with a 1 child policy.
    But i dont agree with sex selection at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Couldn't careless, if I had all girls it wouldn't bother me, if I had all boys wouldn't bother me either.

Sure I sometimes would say "hmm wish it was a boy or wish it was a girl" (usually I'd change my mind several times a day)

I don't agree with gender selection unless it's for medical reasons then that's different, but I know many people who would have boys over girls.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (18-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    if i had it my way and could choose sex of children, i would have boys only coz i just imagine myself with boys and no girls but doesnt faze me all that much though what i have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would not have cared less. It might seem that way to some who knew us, but in all fairness I'd like to explain the way things were. I was not willing to find out the gender of my baby. However when I was carrying twins, and things went bad and I ended up losing one, things went downhill and it was stated that the other surviving twin was a boy. So I spent almost the entire pregnancy thinking I was having a boy. I didn't know what the other twin was, but have convinced myself the other was a boy. When I had a baby at 36 weeks, I was expecting a boy. Even the day before at the ultrasound she was still a boy. So it's not that I was upset about having a girl, just that I was expecting a boy then had a girl and went through a sort of a grieving process because yes I was the mother of the most beautiful girl in the world but where was my son???

So from that moment I convinced myself that the other twin that did not survive must have been my son. I have name him even though he was never born and I never found out officially what gender I was having with the non-surviving twin.

In short, it wouldn't have mattered if I had a boy or a girl, but I would have preferred not being told, but since I was and they were wrong I built myself up to believe I was having one gender then had the other.

not sure if that makes sense to anyone other than myself lol but that's how it was for me. I don't care either way, but would prefer to leave it as a surprise, which it was anyway, but a surprise that doesn't have medical professionals telling me I'm having one gender then I have another.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmingup****** View Post
    I would not have cared less. It might seem that way to some who knew us, but in all fairness I'd like to explain the way things were. I was not willing to find out the gender of my baby. However when I was carrying twins, and things went bad and I ended up losing one, things went downhill and it was stated that the other surviving twin was a boy. So I spent almost the entire pregnancy thinking I was having a boy. I didn't know what the other twin was, but have convinced myself the other was a boy. When I had a baby at 36 weeks, I was expecting a boy. Even the day before at the ultrasound she was still a boy. So it's not that I was upset about having a girl, just that I was expecting a boy then had a girl and went through a sort of a grieving process because yes I was the mother of the most beautiful girl in the world but where was my son???

So from that moment I convinced myself that the other twin that did not survive must have been my son. I have name him even though he was never born and I never found out officially what gender I was having with the non-surviving twin.

In short, it wouldn't have mattered if I had a boy or a girl, but I would have preferred not being told, but since I was and they were wrong I built myself up to believe I was having one gender then had the other.
    sus I went through the same thing! DDs angel twin was a boy (born sleeping at 18weeks) and as they shared a placenta, everyone thought DD was a boy also. infact after she was born everyone still said 'he' (i was in hospital a fair bit before she arrived)
    now I'd love another boy, as I feel DD should have a brother, as she would have if some horrible stuff hadn't happened.
    so I wouldn't use gender selection if it meant 'discarding' the 'wrong' gender,but I'm happy to naturally attempt to gender sway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *duct tapes pillows all around her self for the slamming im about to recieve*

if i could use gender selection to have a daughter, i would.

but i can't so no more babies for me. *hugs her 2 boys tightly*

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't do it . What's meant to be will be. I hoped I'd have two boys for no other reason than DS was awesome so I thought two of him would be rad. My second is a girl and wow I just adore my daughter, just as perfect as her brother. However I wouldn't want to manufacture that, they were picked for me not the other way around. I hope it's never legal here TBH.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Leisa21 For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (07-06-2011)