+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls!

It has been a while since I posted so I thought I would update you on what has happened for me.

Firstly, so nice to hear of all the GC ladies going through IVF especially that most of us are going to Monash. I had a thought, maybe we should organise a support group? One where we all meet up maybe once a month for a coffee and a chat? just a thought....

So, I finally had my EPU, sadlt to report we only go one egg. Apparently there were 4 follicles in there but only one with an egg inside. I was so gutted when i say the number on my hand in recovery. I think it was at that moment that i knew this cycle was not going to work. Needless to say when I can out of recovery to find my gorgeous hubby sitting there waiting patiently for me he already knew. He also knew that the one egg they were able to retrieve was immature. He was so sweet in telling me, but he knew it was a devastating blow and was very supportive in his manner.

So after a bit of crying we went back to Monash and spoke with the scientist who gave me some renewed hope that this egg just might make it. But I knew in my heart that it wasnt going to be.

The following morning I had a call to say that the egg didnt survive. I was completely and utterly gutted!!

So today is 3 days on from receiving this news and i still feel very depressed and a bit raw about it. What has been difficult is seeing absolutley EVERYTHING to do with babies, pregnant woman etc. I have even had a girlfriend who just keeps telling me everyday about all these poeple she knows who have either just fallen pregnant or have had a baby. AND SHE KNOWS I HAVE JUST HAD A FAILED CYCLE!! GAH!!

So apart from that my DH has been amazing. He is so gutted like me, but has done well to hide it. He feels so helpless and is ****ed off that I had to go through all those injections for nothing. But he is being very sweet and supportive.

We too have been down the road of vasectomy and vasectomy reversal, and I too had the similar problem where having a baby was not as important to him as it was to me (he has an adult daughter from a previous marriage). One day I just put my foot down after i got sick of his pussy footing around. I just told him he either did this with me or if he didnt i would go through it myself, without him using someone else's sperm.

After a period of shock ( I think he knew deep down that I would do this without him) he jumped on board 100 percent. And has been very supportive and excited about our journey.

I have another appointment with Kee tommorrow to discuss what happened this cycle and to work out our next step.

Once I know what we are to do next I will be sure to check back in and let you know where I am at.

I have deceided to do some things for myself in the process and am in the process of starting on an endometriosis diet. At the very least I need to give myself the best chance possible in order to make IVF work for me, given that I am racing against the clock so to speak.

I hope all you other ladies are doing well. And let me know what you think about the support group idea!!

xx mrstee

"when one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us"............

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mrstee I think the idea of a support group is a great idea! I love talking on BH but i also think talking in person sometimes is so much easier! I'm sorry to hear about your egg. Must be heartbreaking to go through all the lead up and have that happen. Hopefully it will be something as simple as Dr Ong changing the doses of medication for the next round. Good luck with your appointment with him tomorrow. I'm really glad your DH has been so supportive. I'ts such a hard journey to go through it's nice when they are 100% on board.

Also glad to hear you are taking time out for you! I think we really do forget to do that when we are stuggling TTC. I'm really interested to know what the endometriosos diet is, i didn't even know there was one! I would like to try it!

I just work in Bundall so happy to catch up anytime during the week at lunch if you want to have a chat or just a shoulder to cry on.

Looking forward to hearing how you go tomorrow! By the way I know what you mean about the baby stuff! My boss, who knows what a hard time i am having, just asked me to organise a baby basket for the guy here whos wife just had one last week. I know it's part of my job but seriously, she couldn't get someone else to do it this time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls!

How hot is it on the GC today...thank goodness for air con! We went for a walk early this morning and it was already hot hot hot and it wasn't even 8.30 in the morning!

Mrstee - I am so sorry about your cycle that must be really awful. Especially when you don't even have time to recover from your egg retrival before you get the news. Take care of yourself and be kind to your husband

Yes, i completely know about the babies babies everywhere. Sometimes you have to mentally prepare yourself just to go to the shops for groceries. And I am lucky enough to have my own little toddler, but still it breaks my heart sometimes. But for the most part I just try to pretend they don't exist!!

Would love to catch up sometimes, I am at home with our DD, so would probably need to bring her as well, but weekdays/afternoons would be great. But maybe the weekend would suit others better, not sure.

I have sent all my consent stuff back to Monash now, so just thinking of the things I need to do before I get started: pay our $$$, learn how to inject etc etc. Trying not to think about it endlessly, sometimes it completely freaks me out! Especially reading all the things that can go wrong when you sign all the consent stuff....but of course even natural pregnancy has stacks of risks so there is no guarentees either way...but still!

Hope everyone is well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fine for weekends too, particularly Saturdays as DH works and I'm usually bored doing housework!
    I just meant if anyone needs a catch up after an appointment (I'm usually in much need of a chat after going to docs) I'm in bundall so close by. Or even if anyone works around the area too.
    It is stinking hot again today! I'm in an aircon building so it's always freezing in here though, I'm currently wearing a cardigan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls,

Thanks for the kind words! And great that everyone is keen for a catch up! I will private messeage you with my contact details and we can go from there.

So had my follow up appointment with kee. Oh geez he is just such a sweetheart!! He was really bummed that my cycle hadnt worked and it was very clear that he is trying to work out the best way forward for me with out giving up!! My problem being that I am running out of eggs (AMH <1!!) Sooooo, he was really into the idea of doing my endometriosis diet (will go into more details about it in a sec) and actually thought it was quite a sensible idea. I am back on the DHEA for another 2 months, plus he wants me to keep doing my yogs and weekly acupuncture. Next cycle he was talking about doing a "oestrogen priming protocol" apparenlty this is a technique used in one of the US clinics that has had quite a good success rate, particularly with woman in my situtaion. Only downside, 7 extra days of neddles!! As I was on needles on the last cycle for 15 days that means another 7 on top of that!!! Gah!! 3 whole weeks! But as I say to Kee if that is the only way, that is the only way. I will just have to suck it up and get through it. The only really problem I had with going so long on this last cycle was I dont have a great deal of fat on my stomach, so I ran out of spots to inject. And towards the end my stomach was so bruised it was like jamming a knife in everytime I had to inject Ah well, I am sure it will all be worth it in the end.

So, the endo diet. I started doing some research on what causes endo. And apparently it is from an oestrogen dominance in the body. Which in turn ulitmately causes inflamation. So I have bought some books and starting trying to figure out how I can change this through food and supplements. Interestingly enough the worst thing anyone with endo can consume is coffee!!!! Which is really depressing as this is my one vice. Needless to say there are a few things we can eliminate from the diet to help with the hormone balance and reduce inflamation. Caffeine in ALL its forms (no tea, or decaff even!), alcohol (this one I have cut back on but am refusing to give up altogether ) wheat, gluten, dairy.

In conjunction with this there are some important supplements that we should be taking also; magnesium, glutamine, vit C & B, selenium (with E), zinc, probiotic and the most important fish oil. Also if we dont get enough sun we need a vit D supplement. Funnily enough Australians have a very high deficiency in vit D, and the best time to get this from the sun is in the middle of the day! Weird I know but only a bit to help the chemical reaction in your body occur which produces this.

I have a couple of books that I will let you know about (I am at work now and these are at home so will post details later) There is one that you can buy from Amazon.co.uk I think it is called "Receipies for the Endometriosis Diet".

Anyway, enough from me. How is everyone else going?

xx mrstee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MrsTee

I am so glad your appointment went well and its great that you have good options both in western and complementary medicines. And better still if you can try them both together so you can get a great sticky bubba!!

So I guess you don't do another cycle for a couple of months until the DHEA kicks in? I don't know much about it but do know it takes a few months to work right? And I know nothing about Oestrogen priming so do tell us all about it as you find out more info!

As for the endo, I have some small fibroids that that are caused by an oestrogen imbalance as well. I have read a complementary theraphies/pregnancy planning type book by Zita West that agrees with everything you have mentioned. Particularly the bad news about coffee/alcohol which is just tragic really!

I am going to *try* to cut my caffine out before we start our cycle in three weeks. I am down to one cup a day, and am going to give it up next week. I love my morning coffee, but my husband makes me a great chai latte so I am going to try to be satisfied with that instead . And alcohol will be going out of my diet again very soon as well....sigh! But all for a good cause right?

I hope everyone is having a good week...only a few more hours til the weekend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies! Just wanted to pop in and say hi! How is everyone going? Where are you up to with cycles and everything? We are going to the uro tomorrow to find out gene testing results and book in for the biopsy. Just found out it will cost $3,500 and only get back $522.22 from medicare! Ouch! Just to find out if there is anything in there! We can't really afford it for the next 2 months, but i'm so sick of waiting to find out, i just got another credit card so we can at least get it done straight away. Not the best financial plan but don't want to wait any longer. DH has nearly finished his latest project so should have money again in a couple of months so i'll just pay it back then!

I'll let you know how we go, but may be needing that catch up so I can vent!

Hope you girls are all feeling ok and staying positive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is the article i was talking about, have not done it as a new thread i thought i would just add it here..

Sometimes when a women doesn't respond well to IVF, the doctor cranks up the medication and this can result in fewer number of eggs and eggs of poorer quality. So when this happens, the doctors uses this information to confirm that the woman must be running out of eggs because she is not responding. Never is there mention that more stimulation may be causing the problem and the ovaries are not responding well to the higher dosages which may have nothing to do with their fertility.

If you have been classed as a "poor responder", "premature ovarian failure" or "poor ovarian reserve" the following may be of interest to you.

Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 2008
    122 women aged LESS than 36 years in their first cycle of IVF were identified as having low ovarian reserve based on serum AMH measurement of less than 14. (they had previous ivf cycles and did not respond well) 35 of these women were given the standard dose of 150 IU/day FSH while the remaining 87 received a higher starting dose of 200-300. RESULTS: no significant improvement in egg or embryo number or pregnancies with an upward adjustment of FSH starting dose. CONCLUSION: The upward FSH dose adjustment in anticipation of low ovarian reserve can not be advocated as it is both expensive and of no clinical value.

Note: before I receive emails from people saying higher FSH dose worked for them, pls remember the above is the scientists conclusion. But what you can take away from the study is, if you have tried higher doses (and from what my patient tell me some doctors put them on much more than 300) and it isn't working, and/or you are responding less, then based on this study, more is not necessarily better.

And as I have always said, in the case of the poor responder (I really do not like that term) and/or when IVF just isn't working, instead of jacking up the dosages, would it not make more sense to step back and start to look for and address areas that may be contributing to less then optimal cellular health (eggs and sp are cells) and hormone balance.
    This is part of an email i received from Stacey Roberts who is a Master Herbalist aka as the Baby Maker, I dont know if this will help anyone but thought it was worth a read anyway.

Neen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Neen and Aunty and everyone else

Neen, so sorry to hear about your relationship, it does certainly make me wonder about how we will come out the other side of this, particularly after you read the strain that people on these threads go through. I hope you make the right decision, it can be so difficult sometimes in life knowing what the best is, and maybe at least making sure you know where your fertility stands is a good step regardless of what ends up happening.

Aunty - good luck with the biopsy today (although it is probably already over!). I hope it was successful in finding lots of spermies....I can't believe how insanely expensive it is. Crazy. Please keep us updated on how it went, always happy to chat/catch up if you need some support.

As for me, we are about to start next week all going well. Very exciting and scary! Nurse apt to get my drugs is early next week and then I should be jabbing by the weekend....

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls!

Neen so sorry to hear you are feeling that way. i know how you feel with the anxiety and panic attacks. I suffered from them for years until a couple of years ago. I too worry about how all the hormones will affect me and if they will cause me to get panic attacks again. But the way I see it, it's only for a couple of weeks each cycle (and hopefully you only need one!). If the panic attacks come, just have a supply of xanax or valium available. Not the ideal thing to take if pregnant, but my sister took them when she needed to through her pregnancies and all 3 turned out just fine! As for your relationship, I think every relationship goes through ups and downs. Many don't survive the IVF but many more do survive and end up stronger. I guess just try and take a step back from your relationship and try to see if it's worth saving and if you really think it would survive the journey. My DH and I had serious financial trouble a couple of years ago, i didn't think we could survive the strain it put on us. but the end result, we became so much stronger than we ever were and it was the thing that made us finally make the decision to get married! Who would have thought! So a hard road is not always the worst one we could be on, sometimes it's the best one. I agree with Kitty though, go and get yourself checked out even if its just to give you some peace of mind. test are so good these days, they can even tell you just how much time you have to get pregnant.

Kitty I'm so excited for you that you start next week! Must be a releif to finally be on your way! i hope all goes well and the jabs aren't too painful. Lots of girls get their hubbies to do it for them and find that easier.

We didn't actually get the biopsy yesterday, just the results back fromgene testing, and the results..................................... He is fine!!!! All chromosomes are as they should be, hormone levels are normal! That means that now Dr thinks he will have a much better chance of finding something in there!! I'm so relieved, this is our first bit of good news. No guarantees of course but just a little better chance than we thought we had.
    So we are booked in for the biopsy on 3 May. We will know by that afternoon if they found anything. Going to be one 'sitting on the edge of my seat' day but at least we will know! Finally!