+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was defiantly doing the fake cough at 5 months! She would always follow with a smile or if I said are you alright she would do it more such a good age!!
    At 16 months she still does it but she now runs to get my spew bucket and coughs into that!! She has been watching mummy too much

Even if it is a real cough if he doesn't have temps or seems sick I wouldn't worry about it, it's not like he can have cough medicine... Although I did read that coughing can be an early sign of asthma... Don't know if that's true though!

Guest Guest
    I know which cough you mean and I did take ds to the dr for it. Dr said his throat might be ticklish, or he discovered he can do it and likes the sound and action so its a new thing he's experimenting with.
    Was it for attention, no. My ds does it for attention now at 19 months but definately not at 5 months.
    I would go to the dr if its persistent, more than say 5-10 times a day, especially at night when they're trying to get to sleep. You'd be the best judge and if you think it's serious you'd know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya, unless he has other symptoms don't bother taking him to the docs, cause he will look at you like a crazy first time mum! Babies do this. My DS did it too, I don't think it's about attention but discover their vocal cords, they like the sensation on the back of their throats. Don't worry, you just have a clever bubs who has discovered another part of their body. Encourage and enjoy these funny discoveries. My bubs is now 7 months he did this for about 2 months, now he crawls around making sounds like a motor boat. Haha they are funny lil things!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

BuzzBuzz  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was doing the fake cough at 5 months, so it's definitely possible. They're not doing it to manipulate, just experimenting with sounds and seeing your reaction.

If DD was coughing in a way that I wasn't sure if it was fake or not, I would assume it not serious enough to see a doc anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks everyone. He was still doing it today.
    I've decided that if he is still doing it tomorrow, then i'm just gonna take him to the doc anyway! lol - first time mum paranoia.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently a fake cough a developmental milestone (according to my CHN). My son def started doing it at about 5mo.
    But there are coughs and there are coughs- so use your common sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kaeja View Post
    thanks everyone. He was still doing it today.
    I've decided that if he is still doing it tomorrow, then i'm just gonna take him to the doc anyway! lol - first time mum paranoia.....
    Kaeja - I just found this... My almost 6month old DS is doing this too & has done since about the 5month mark. He has no temp, no other signs of illness & is sleeping fine...so I put it down to experimentation. I just decided to start looking for real answers as I was starting to get a but worried & was wondering if I should take him to the doc or was being a paranoid first time mum too

Did you end up going to the docs? If so, what did they say?