+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butimacheerleader View Post
    Welcome back Tash.

I start prac next week, so looking forward to it. Our results are released also. Very excited to finally be in third year. I am doing a 3 week placement in Townsville next year which I am super stoked about becuase we want to move back up there when I am finished Uni.

Hope all is well with everyone.
    Hi!!! Townsville huh - must be the place to be. I'm also moving there in Jan 2013 once course is done! You will have to fill me in on yr tville knowledge! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tashaplus2 View Post
    They started the four yr degree when I started in 2010 so I'm the first year of it. It's four years squashed into 3 yrs plus compulsory full time summer school every yr. It puts our degree online with UK in terms of clinical hrs and paper numbers once we graduate
    WOW! You are as busy as GU. We go for something like 46 weeks a year and do a lot of prac. (144 ? hours in 2nd semester of 1st year (was a while ago LOL), then 288 hours a semester after that) + extra days going to woman-centred meetings or antenatal classes or health clinics as required by the particular course subject we are doing. In the first semester of 1st year we go to the ANC to recruit follow-through women. Even now, when I'm done with placement they are on-going (am following 7 of my 10 for next year -3rd yr- atm). I've also been told that NZ midi is really good and you get to go with home-birth midwives. Is that right? I would love to do that but there doesn't seem to be the same opportunities here as yet to do that mainly because there's not a lot of them. With new reforms that should change
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 01-12-2011 at 09:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Hi all haven't posted for a while but I just received an offer for Midwifery and GU anyone else?
    AWESOME! Congratulations.

Which hospital did you put as your preference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    WOW! You are as busy as GU. We go for something like 46 weeks a year and do a lot of prac. (144 ? hours in 2nd semester of 1st year (was a while ago LOL), then 288 hours a semester after that) + extra days going to woman-centred meetings or antenatal classes or health clinics as required by the particular course subject we are doing. In the first semester of 1st year we go to the ANC to recruit follow-through women. Even now, when I'm done with placement they are on-going (am following 7 of my 10 for next year -3rd yr- atm). I've also been told that NZ midi is really good and you get to go with home-birth midwives. Is that right? I would love to do that but there doesn't seem to be the same opportunities here as yet to do that mainly because there's not a lot of them. With new reforms that should change
    Sounds similar. We have to do 2400 clinical hours and 2400 Uni lecture hours. Draining but rewarding all the same. Yes we work alot with independent midwives so get to do homebirths often. It's nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all haven't posted for a while but I just received an offer for Midwifery and GU anyone else?

Congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the congratulations Ladies - and congrats to all who have been successful

I'm a little worried at the moment though since becoming pregnant it changes things a little and I really need to ask some questions but can't get on to anyone at Griffith!!!

I chose Redlands for my hospital but I'm on the northside and with bub on the way I want to make things easier for myself so I was going to ask about being able to select a closer hospital.... I'm worried it won't be as good though being at a different hospital to my fellow students?

Also I don't really know if I will fit in the first semester anyway! My due date is June 29th... does anyone know what the dates are for semster 1?

I've just jumped online and I'm finding the timetable quite confusing to make sense of as well - oh dear lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Thanks for the congratulations Ladies - and congrats to all who have been successful

I'm a little worried at the moment though since becoming pregnant it changes things a little and I really need to ask some questions but can't get on to anyone at Griffith!!!

I chose Redlands for my hospital but I'm on the northside and with bub on the way I want to make things easier for myself so I was going to ask about being able to select a closer hospital.... I'm worried it won't be as good though being at a different hospital to my fellow students?

Also I don't really know if I will fit in the first semester anyway! My due date is June 29th... does anyone know what the dates are for semster 1?

I've just jumped online and I'm finding the timetable quite confusing to make sense of as well - oh dear lol
    Have you thought about part-time for 1st year? There is a GU student at Redcliffe hospital so that might suit you better particularly with CoC's. She says it's really good there.

RE: the timetable - we don't allocate as such to labs tutes etc because these are all covered in the 2 weeks intensive at the beginning of the semester for everyone. All you really need to do is enroll in each course. You only need to go to the ANC in first semester to recruit your CoC women (3 for 1st semester) so if you can get those done early you should be finished well before your EDD. & the exam should be in early June but best to check this for certain as you've been trying to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose Redlands for my hospital but I'm on the northside and with bub on the way I want to make things easier for myself so I was going to ask about being able to select a closer hospital...
    I am pretty sure it would be a no from GU as they already have agreements in place with their teaching hospitals. It is a lot more complicated than just saying " oh i want to go to xyz hospital". The uni has to have agreements, clinical support in place, etc. Also the north side hospitals tend to be affiliated with ACU/UQ/QUT. That's why they make people put in their hospital preferences when applying, to warn people those hospitals are it!

But you can always ask! I just know that even if a woman approached us who was going to a different hospital than our teaching ones, we weren't allowed to have them as a COC.

Has anyone thought about Grad year? Is it that common in QLD for midwives? It seems to be big in other states. I keep hearing people go on about the lack of jobs for DEM's...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerfae View Post
    I am pretty sure it would be a no from GU as they already have agreements in place with their teaching hospitals. It is a lot more complicated than just saying " oh i want to go to xyz hospital". The uni has to have agreements, clinical support in place, etc. Also the north side hospitals tend to be affiliated with ACU/UQ/QUT. That's why they make people put in their hospital preferences when applying, to warn people those hospitals are it!

But you can always ask! I just know that even if a woman approached us who was going to a different hospital than our teaching ones, we weren't allowed to have them as a COC.

Has anyone thought about Grad year? Is it that common in QLD for midwives? It seems to be big in other states. I keep hearing people go on about the lack of jobs for DEM's...
    Hey Kirsty,

yes, that is the norm & especially with CoC as we cannot follow them if they are birthing outside of our allocated hospital. But there is a student doing placement at Redcliffe hosp & GU may be able to negotiate an agreement for another student. It would be worthwhile OneLove asking Mary about it to see if it is a possibility for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those people who have already received an offer to study BMID at GU for next year did you all already have a prior degree?
    I'm getting so nervous about my internal transfer i'm sitting on a rank of 92 and just wish they'd hurry up and approve it.