+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Danann11 View Post
    Hi all
    I've just joined this site, and was sooo pleased to see how many mum's are studying. I'm looking into studying B.mid part time at ACU. I have a 14 mth and a 2 1/2 yr old, my only concern is the timetabling. They have just started family daycare 2 days a week. Will this be enough for me to complete part time? Would so love to get a mum's perspective on this.
    Cheers
    Hi Danann,

In regards to Childcare - not only must you contemplate balancing the study load, but also the commitment of COC (follow throughs). I would imagine, unless you have a mum/relative/friend who can look after kids, they would need to be in fulltime care???? I would say (not that I am speaking from experience) that the women that you do COC with, they can schedule antenatal appointments whenever suits them. And needless to say they won't have their bub on the days your kids are in care.......???

Just food for thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    I've just joined this site, and was sooo pleased to see how many mum's are studying. I'm looking into studying B.mid part time at ACU. I have a 14 mth and a 2 1/2 yr old, my only concern is the timetabling. They have just started family daycare 2 days a week. Will this be enough for me to complete part time? Would so love to get a mum's perspective on this.
    Cheers
    Lol. I just replied in the other thread without having seen this. Okay just ignore that. I hope there are people here to answer you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    Cheers
    Welcome Danann11- I recently joined for the same reason.
    I'm not sure of how it's done with ACU, but most uni's you can pick and choose your subjects based on what times they are on- so you could manange to cram part time into only one or two days a week. I know a few mums that are doing full time (majority with 3-4 young kids at home every day and also have another 1 or 2 at school) but the uni's upload all course content, including lectures, online so there are only a few number of days a year they are required to be on campus. They all do great with their minimal attendance. They get into a study groove that works for them and stick to it- yes it means sacrifices but it's only for the duration for the degree and then they get their lives back. The one that refused to see she had to make sacrifices on her demands- uni, work and 7 young kids plus a very active social life- is the only one that ended up dropping out.
    So make a study schedule, stick to it no matter what, and you will do fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by studentmidwifeipswich View Post
    I don't know where your from but this definitely does not occur in queensland! I wish hahaha[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    That pay scale may actually be right, based on an 80 hour f/n. It equates to $21p/h- which is what AIN's make.

I'm not a nursing student yet (fingers crossed I get accepted to GU!), I have no cert's, but with my job in palliative care I am on $27p/h 6am-6pm, $29p/h 6pm-6am and on weekends it's $35 an hour. I would never give that up to do AIN, because my job description is exactly that of a nurse now, where as in a hospital AIN's are not allowed to do what I do.
    So while there are AIN positions out there to apply for, keep your eyes open and you may find something that gives better pay and more responsibilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you are hired as an undergrate student in nursing (USIN) that is the correct pay. I work as an AIN in aged care and I a get a lot of hands on nursing. Its lovely rewarding work. Ill be sad to move on when I complete my degree. Friends who work as AINs in the hospital system dont do a lot, stocking shelves, specialling etc... BUT they get paid more then what I do in the priavte sector.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Purple Monkey
    I'm applying to do Bmid part time at ACU next year. One of my concerns was the clinical placement with my two little ones. I contacted them, and they confirmed that as I'm doing it part time, there will be no clinical for the first year. If I was to study full time, the clinical would begin in Semester 2 of the first year.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Purple Monkey
    I'm applying to do Bmid part time at ACU next year. One of my concerns was the clinical placement with my two little ones. I contacted them, and they confirmed that as I'm doing it part time, there will be no clinical for the first year. If I was to study full time, the clinical would begin in Semester 2 of the first year.
    Cheers
    Thanks Danann. I spoke to the course convenor and I think I have an idea how I can do my first year over 2 years, in order to get my theory done in 2012 and then my prac and COCs the next year? Then after that, my littlies won't be sooo little and I can get on with fulltime study.

I suppose it all hinges on whether or not I get an offer?!?! Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks monkey face for the input, I appreciate it and feeling a bit better just after reading these two replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Some of the GU students got in on their PCA & STAT test. Do you have an OP score? Yes, Kerry has left and Lyn does the administration for the BMid program. You might be able to speak to Dr Mary Sidebotham who is the acting program convenor at the moment about it?

From my understanding, students are supposed to come to the intensives as that is where we get the initial labs/tutorials that set us up for placement which occurs straight after the intensives (not too sure on the automatic fail for not going though).

The idea of putting external nursing as a preference is a good one too as a year of nursing has got some students into the program.

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement I don't have an OP score as I didn't do high school in Australia. I'm actually American but grew up all over the place overseas ( my parents were missionaries). I completed year 12 by correspondence through an accredited satellite school in the U.S. This means I do have a high school equivalent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepees View Post
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement I don't have an OP score as I didn't do high school in Australia. I'm actually American but grew up all over the place overseas ( my parents were missionaries). I completed year 12 by correspondence through an accredited satellite school in the U.S. This means I do have a high school equivalent.
    A high school equivalent is a rank score. I only went to grade 10 but have done a lot of things since (different certificate, diploma and an education degree so have a high rank - they all add up). So your rank for that combined with your PCA and STAT test could add up to get you an offer

If not, you could do some nursing subjects that are cross credited such as anatomy & physiology, the cultural subject or any others that you find will count for BMid and at least you won't have to do them again. But now I'm being negative ~ you will have every chance of completing for a place once you get the PCA & STAT done!