+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If anyone is looking to buy Fundamentals of Nursing pack I am selling it on ebay, brand new in packaging!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fundament...item3cbd0dd2b3

Powering through my Biology pre-req for UQ Nursing/Mid dual, how I wish I had done it in highschool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get in, I have a GPA of 6 from 1 year at UQ (Arts/Educ) and an OP of 6. Does anyone know if the dual does many early offers?

Thanks
    Reviews

Wink Applied to study BMid @ GU - 2012

Hi all,

Have been reading pages and pages of this forum (and others) and have noticed earlier graduating classes talking about offer rounds in December?

If I applied to study in 2012, is there an early offer round in December as well as the January round?

I'm keen as a jelly bean to know if I get offered a place.....January is just too long away

Also, how many places (intake) are there to study BMid @ GU?? What is my chance of getting Redlands hospital for clincal placement??

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Monkey View Post
    Hi all,

Have been reading pages and pages of this forum (and others) and have noticed earlier graduating classes talking about offer rounds in December?

If I applied to study in 2012, is there an early offer round in December as well as the January round?

I'm keen as a jelly bean to know if I get offered a place.....January is just too long away

Also, how many places (intake) are there to study BMid @ GU?? What is my chance of getting Redlands hospital for clincal placement??

Thanks!
    Hi,
    I'm a 2nd year BMid student at GU & i got an early round December offer because I have a teaching degree and a rank of 99. So I guess it depends on what your rank/OP is. Last year I think the intake was about 80 - some are not from Brisbane though. Your chances of getting Redlands hospital should be pretty good although they don't take as many students as the other hosps.

for you that you get an offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Thanks for such a quick reponse. I too have a BEd (Primary). I lady at student services said that having that should help with my application....can only hope?!

My fingers are definately crossed!

BTW - what made you make the move from teaching to midwifery? Just out of interest (no need to respond if that is too personal). Would you think doing a couple of days supply teaching a fortnight is do-able with fulltime study during 1st year?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got an offer from CDU for external nursing 2012. Eeep! What have I got myself into? Happy but scared. Does anyone have any experience with CDU?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Monkey View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for such a quick reponse. I too have a BEd (Primary). I lady at student services said that having that should help with my application....can only hope?!

My fingers are definately crossed!

BTW - what made you make the move from teaching to midwifery? Just out of interest (no need to respond if that is too personal). Would you think doing a couple of days supply teaching a fortnight is do-able with fulltime study during 1st year?

Cheers
    Hi,

You could probably fit in 1 or 2 days supply teaching but it will end up hectic. Some of the girls have managed to work part-time for a while. I think it's likely you'll get an early round Dec offer

I have a BEd (primary) too. I miss it sometimes and still have a bit of a passion for children's books and a keen interest in special ed. However, I was never happy with supply and felt I was capable of much more; I wanted my own classroom where I could take ownership & plan & teach to my full capabilities. I looked at doing post grad in education (spec ed & ESL) but Ed Qld told me at the time that there was still not a big need for those specialties so I looked at what else I might like to do. Nursing is 2 years post grad but I could never see myself as a nurse with sick people and then came across GU's 'new' BMid program; thought it was for me; applied and got my offer - Love it! They say everything for a reason

How about you....what's your story?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by summerly View Post
    I just got an offer from CDU for external nursing 2012. Eeep! What have I got myself into? Happy but scared. Does anyone have any experience with CDU?
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Purple Monkey, I just thought I'd pop in and say I've also applied for GU 2012 nice to know there's someone else here in the same boat. I'm also another qualified teacher too so it's good to hear that maybe we'll get a slightly early offer!

Have you looked in to doing your first aide training and the other pre-requisites?

Actually, when and where did others do there training?

AFM - I just got a due end of June 2012 so I'm wondering now if I can at least get first semester in and then take leave????

Thanks
    Reviews

Default find you an inspiration - thankyou

thankyou for answering my post a couple of weeks ago-the information on the other posts about midwifery were great. I am still feeling very confused about changing from nursing to midwifery(even though that was always my first goal), my nursing tutors & lecturers are all so negative about me changing, they say it will be hard to get a job with doing direct entry mid & that you will always find a job as a nurse ahhhhhhh. What is it with them all being so negative about midwifes . What sort of response do you find you get with your lecturers etc about job opportunities on graduation? Are you enjoying the placements at the hospital? I will be based at the Gold Coast hospital as it is 10 mins from home. Thankyou in advance for your feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Hi,

You could probably fit in 1 or 2 days supply teaching but it will end up hectic. Some of the girls have managed to work part-time for a while. I think it's likely you'll get an early round Dec offer

I have a BEd (primary) too. I miss it sometimes and still have a bit of a passion for children's books and a keen interest in special ed. However, I was never happy with supply and felt I was capable of much more; I wanted my own classroom where I could take ownership & plan & teach to my full capabilities. I looked at doing post grad in education (spec ed & ESL) but Ed Qld told me at the time that there was still not a big need for those specialties so I looked at what else I might like to do. Nursing is 2 years post grad but I could never see myself as a nurse with sick people and then came across GU's 'new' BMid program; thought it was for me; applied and got my offer - Love it! They say everything for a reason

How about you....what's your story?
    This is my first attempt at replying with a quote - not sure if this will work how I think....anyways......

I will be leaving a teaching position to take on study. Making the switch is raising lots of questions, such as why I'd leave the comfortable hours/holidays that come with teaching (especially having kids) to work shifts. Why I'd leave a degree I've already got to get my head around another and accumulate another HECS debt?! I also wonder about job opportunities as a midwife and think, am I going to be working casually as a midi, when I've got stabiltiy as a teacher......IYKWIM....

Sorry to unload all of those insecurities

I was hoping supply a couple of a days a fornight was possible. I too hate supply teaching, but it is flexible and has very little commitments, such as planning, meetings, report cards etc. Plus its great money. A friend of mine sent me through a payscale for Nurses and Midwives and I see that Undergraduate Student Nurses and Midwives get an income of a Nurse Grade 2 ( $1750p/f). Is this for the duration of the semesters? Do you know much about this?

Anways, lots to ponder before January or Decemeber