+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I just wanted to jump in here with a question if that's okay? I've applied to CDU for external nursing for next year, and at the time was told that they could organise placement in my own state (Vic). Just wondering if anyone here is studying through them or if during your clinical placements you have come across other CDU students at all? I'm trying to find out as much as I can, I really don't want to be in the position of organising my own placements. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Thanks mytwoangels - great, good to know I don't have to worry about it for now!

Are you transfering from Nursing? I'm soooo nervous and just hoping I've picked the right Uni to do Mid at it sounds great anyway!

If you don't mind me asking, which scholarship did you receive? I was having a look on the GU site and couldn't really see one that I would qualify for

I could really do with the extra support financially that's for sure!!!!
    Yeah I am transferring from nursing although i have been doing midwifery subjects already with special permission just havent started the practical side.
    The GU course is brilliant, there are ppl who travel from townsville, toowoomba, rockhampton and lismore to do it because of its flexibility. You know all about the intensives and how the lectures work?
    The scholarship I am getting is the equity scholarship, i think the name of it has changed though; it is $1100 per semester for 4 years. If you are near the GU Logan campus feel free to come in and ask student services which ones you can apply for.
    feel free to add me to fb if you like ( Melanie Rule) pic of my two kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anybody know if you can get scholarships if you arnt an Australian resident? lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Have just joined

Hi
    I hope i am doing this right as i am new to the site & it looks great. I am currently a first yr nursing student @ GU gold coast campus. I applied for a xfer to midwifery from 2012 & found out this week that i was accepted. Are u at GU Logan campus?
    Are you enjoying it so far, am not sure if i am doing the right thing because of job opportunities at the end of study- midwifery vs nursing. Can u fill me in (if u have time) on wat yr first yr has been like & how an average week is spent.
    Thanks so much for any info u can give me
    mum to 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Horseluva,

If you click on Brunfelsia Dreaming (above) & choose 'view forum posts'...you'll find I've answered questions about the GU program. You might also like to do it for TZJIL as she moved from nursing to Bmid too.

Congratulations on getting a place in mid
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 27-09-2011 at 05:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing
    ACU Aquinas
    Start 2011, graduate 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    Georgia
    ACU St Patricks Melbourne
    Start 2011, Graduate 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Any Mid students done Prac at a private hospital?
    With our course, we normally do ALL our prac at the same hospital over 2 years (2nd and 3rd year), however the hospital i am at is cutting down the Uni's it is dealing with, so Uni has to find me somewhere else, and it looks like i will probably be placed at a private hospital. I am just wondering if anyone else has experience as a Midwifery student in the private sector (PM me if you feel more comfortable) and is willing to share their experiences.

I hate not knowing where i will be next year! but another experience will be good too.

The Co-ordinator says that some of our students who have been previously in private hospitals have loved it and have had less competition getting their births etc.- not thoroughly convinced, but would like to hear from real students and their experiences.
    Anyway, any info that could be passed on would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RHJ; 04-10-2011 at 17:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
    Any Mid students done Prac at a private hospital?
    With our course, we normally do ALL our prac at the same hospital over 2 years (2nd and 3rd year), however the hospital i am at is cutting down the Uni's it is dealing with, so Uni has to find me somewhere else, and it looks like i will probably be placed at a private hospital. I am just wondering if anyone else has experience as a Midwifery student in the private sector (PM me if you feel more comfortable) and is willing to share their experiences.

I hate not knowing where i will be next year! but another experience will be good too.

The Co-ordinator says that some of our students who have been previously in private hospitals have loved it and have had less competition getting their births etc.- not thoroughly convinced, but would like to hear from real students and their experiences.
    Anyway, any info that could be passed on would be greatly appreciated.
    Well that sucks! You'd think the hospital you're at would've allowed you to finish as a 3rd year but just not accept any new students. In answer to your question though; I've not been to a private hosp but I reckon I'd be a little concerned that I'd be competing with Dr's for 'normal' births (too may C/S in private up here from what I've heard ). If you do go to a private hosp, I'd love to know what you think of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Well that sucks! You'd think the hospital you're at would've allowed you to finish as a 3rd year but just not accept any new students. In answer to your question though; I've not been to a private hosp but I reckon I'd be a little concerned that I'd be competing with Dr's for 'normal' births (too may C/S in private up here from what I've heard ). If you do go to a private hosp, I'd love to know what you think of it.
    Yeah it does suck! As there were only a small number of us there, i think they thought it would be easy to find us new places.
    Our co-ordinator seems to think the girls have done better in private than us public girls- because there are less student midwives. She says the DRs have been really willing to let the girls do the births too.
    I guess i am lucky too in that ALL my births so far have been NVB's. I am yet to even see a c/s, forceps, ventouse or even an epidural- and i am currently at a tertiary hospital! So it is just luck of the draw i think.
    If i end up private, will certainly let you girls know how i find it.