+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say "As a nursing student I am not qualified to make a medical diagnosis" lol! You're not able to give medical diagnoses as a Nurse, I'm not sure why they'd ask you to make them in that assignment..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLozza View Post
    I would say "As a nursing student I am not qualified to make a medical diagnosis" lol! You're not able to give medical diagnoses as a Nurse, I'm not sure why they'd ask you to make them in that assignment..
    I understand what you mean but that doesn't help the fact that jaydensmum HAS to submit this assignment regardless of whether she can make a diagnoses or not.

Sorry, I can't help you either since I'm BMid. I hope someone will give you a good idea though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLozza View Post
    Yeah i know its a bit bizarre, esp when they've been telling us the whole course to focus on nursing diagnosis not medical ones. Anyway i think they are trying to get us to think outside the square by getting us to think of medical diagnosis's and what we would do as nurses in regards to them, ie nursing interventions. Im just a bit unsure as to what to discuss in regards to the three medical diagnoses?? Which ones do you guys think you would chose out of the case study?? Pls help i really need feedback cause im stuck and the guys that are actually studying this too are not sure of what to do!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you used the lewis's medical nursing text? I have found that incredibly helpful albeit for nursing diagnosis only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grrrrrr I am so sick of everyone telling me I should get my RN's first or I won't get a job only as an RM. It's such BS!
    I just keep remembering what the convenor for the BMid programme told me; she said you either want to be a nurse or a midwife they are totally different jobs and you will never be employed as a nurse/midwife.
    Is anyone else encountering this? I totally understand people who might like to change between nursing and midwifery during their career or arent sure which they'd really like to do doing both RN and RM's but.... argh!!!!!!
    I'm sick of hearing what everyone else thinks I should do!!!
    thoughts???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwoangels View Post
    Grrrrrr I am so sick of everyone telling me I should get my RN's first or I won't get a job only as an RM. It's such BS!
    I just keep remembering what the convenor for the BMid programme told me; she said you either want to be a nurse or a midwife they are totally different jobs and you will never be employed as a nurse/midwife.
    Is anyone else encountering this? I totally understand people who might like to change between nursing and midwifery during their career or arent sure which they'd really like to do doing both RN and RM's but.... argh!!!!!!
    I'm sick of hearing what everyone else thinks I should do!!!
    thoughts???
    YEP I guess I've learnt to block it out hehe. It took my family a while to understand....especially since I did a few years of b. nursing - but that was in order to get into mid.
    At first in the hospital we'd get this alot to. The midwives would ask "so you doing your masters?" me "no, bachelor of midwifery" them "oh". I had one midwife tell me the other day that the new grad b. mid girls coming through had such a different mindset to midwifery - and in a good way. They weren't exposed to how nursing is taught and delivered. In saying all of this, I'm so glad I've done the few years of nursing study. I have no intention of going back and completing my b. nursing, but glad I have the skills under my belt. I [ersonally feel more confident ect.

ME: coc #3 & coc #4 had baby on Thursday! It was a crazy busy day. I got to witness my first svd - mum was so awesome- but I missed the second baby being born -elective c/s I got into theatre 7mins after bub was born- bus still glad I got to be there to support mum & dad in recovery.
    I had a bit of a bleh few weeks, wondering if I was doing the right thing. I think Thursday was what I needed. I was feeling a little flat having only been to c/s births. They are amazing, but I was keen to be at my first svd.

Gotta run, we have our face2face session at uni today - I love it! Get to catch up with our clinical lecturer and chat with the other girls in our group. Makes online learning nice.
    have a great day ladies xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tzjil View Post
    YEP I guess I've learnt to block it out hehe. It took my family a while to understand....especially since I did a few years of b. nursing - but that was in order to get into mid.
    At first in the hospital we'd get this alot to. The midwives would ask "so you doing your masters?" me "no, bachelor of midwifery" them "oh". I had one midwife tell me the other day that the new grad b. mid girls coming through had such a different mindset to midwifery - and in a good way. They weren't exposed to how nursing is taught and delivered. In saying all of this, I'm so glad I've done the few years of nursing study. I have no intention of going back and completing my b. nursing, but glad I have the skills under my belt. I [ersonally feel more confident ect.

ME: coc #3 & coc #4 had baby on Thursday! It was a crazy busy day. I got to witness my first svd - mum was so awesome- but I missed the second baby being born -elective c/s I got into theatre 7mins after bub was born- bus still glad I got to be there to support mum & dad in recovery.
    I had a bit of a bleh few weeks, wondering if I was doing the right thing. I think Thursday was what I needed. I was feeling a little flat having only been to c/s births. They are amazing, but I was keen to be at my first svd.

Gotta run, we have our face2face session at uni today - I love it! Get to catch up with our clinical lecturer and chat with the other girls in our group. Makes online learning nice.
    have a great day ladies xo
    ( grr just wrote a huge reply and my internet died)

It's good to hear that the RM's are starting to see the benefits of the direct entry graduate RM's coming out of uni now; maybe its just taking the student and some of the nursing staff at GU a little longer to see it because BMid was only introduced last year.

We got to have a sneek peek at the models and aides the BMid students get to use; the baby-dolls, the resus tables and the birthing model complete with foetal skull; made me so excited!!! I cant wait; just a few months to go!!! Do you get to access those models etc on campus outside the 2 weeks intesives at the start of semester?
    So can you tell me roughly what your week looks like now including online tutorials etc and antenatal appointments with your COC women?
    Also have they mentioned yet how your second semester shifts will work? Do you get to choose which days and what shift you go on?
    Only 2 weeks of lectures left til exams ( and OSCA's EEEEEPPPP!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwoangels View Post
    Do you get to access those models etc on campus outside the 2 weeks intesives at the start of semester?

So can you tell me roughly what your week looks like now including online tutorials etc and antenatal appointments with your COC women?

Also have they mentioned yet how your second semester shifts will work? Do you get to choose which days and what shift you go on?

Only 2 weeks of lectures left til exams ( and OSCA's EEEEEPPPP!)
    HI - Oh good luck for 3exams and your osca. I love osca's much better than exams. If you relax, and do it how you would if they weren't there you'll be fine. YAY not long till your a b. mid student!!!

The baby models - we don't use them yet - I imagine we will do lots with them next semester.

My schedule - well this semester I'm only doing 1 subject (I got alot of credits from my nursing). WE have a online lecture once a fortnight for this subject. Other subjects have them but not as often. We meet with our clinical lecturer once a fortnight for our face to face session. Its great. We usually spend most of the day, hearing what everyone's been up to in the past fortnight, and have a chance to practice our clinical skills - bp, heart & lung sounds ect - which is good for our girls doing their osca soon.

COC's. How this works is after intensive you get allocated a hospital and a clinic day to go along and recruit women. I went twice and had enough women, so this isn't a long term thing. I was given thursday 1-9 clinic, so I went along, sat in on all the appointments and during/after asked the mums and dads to be if they'd like me to follow them through. Some of the girls were shy, and asked the midwife to ask for them.
    Once you have recruited your women, you go along to their appointmetns. In semster 1, you can have 3 women who only have 2antenatal appointments - all the rest have to have min5antenatal appointments. So you go along to when ever they have an appointment, build a great relationship with them. Some women will have loads of appointments, others you will only just get your min 5 required. It loads of fun. Its hard to know how your diary will look coc wise until you've recruited. I recruited my women for the year ealy, and have had 4 amazing births. And all of those women except 1 had over 6 visits each. A few were a little complicated, one women I attended 8 appointments with her and I met her at 32weeks. I recruited women early as I knew this semster weas oing to be a light workload only doing 1 subject.

Shifts. We don't find out much about this until our next intensive block. BUT from what we've been told, we will all be asked to request shifts and then they will sort it from there. Half of us will go to birth suite and half to the antenatal/postnatal ward and swap midsemester. We need to do 2 shifts a week for 13weeks. But they also have said we can do a run of say 5shifts this week and none next week ect. I am planning on doing shifts every week to make it more of a routine.

Hope this answers your questions, any more fire away.

Have a great day ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Zoe,

Great to hear what you've been up to & that you are enjoying it!

It'll be interesting to see what happens with shifts next semester as the 1st & 2nd years will both be requesting shifts but hopefully it'll work out OK.

Good luck on upcoming exams and OSCA's everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just finished my last exam for this semester. Now the wait is on to see if I passed biology. Gee I hate that subject and the exam just sucked.