+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden&Ryan&Joel View Post
    I delivered my 1st , 2nd and 3rd babies this week! OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE midwifery- every aspect of it!

(ok maybe i don't like the nursing research subject i have to do at the moment, but i love the rest!)

Feels good to return the favour doesn't it! I love helping out the newbies after i got such great advice from someone already doing my course the year before!

I am Very Jealous! I am not doing Mid till I have finished Nrsing o I have a while yet before I get to do this!!

Quote Originally Posted by wehe View Post
    Oh hun, i totally feel for you, the "med wife" seems to be the new thing doesnt it? It sucks, but just remember that is why we are training. We need to make a change in the industry, and stand up for women, become their advocates, and change one birth at a time.

Hugs to you, hang in there. Im at Flinders too if you ever want to catch up for a chat?

W x

It does seem like this lately doesnt it.. I think this will be the parrt that disheartens me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls,

Was at my second coc mums birth last night. It was such an amazing feeling. Another c/s, but it went perfect and was just what mum wanted. She had a healthy baby girl just after 9pm. She was booked for c/s next Friday, but went into labour yesterday. Was kinda cool getting the call when I wasn't expecting it - and I think because she was booked for c/s I 'forgot' I still might get a call iykwim.
    Off to visit them soon.

Hope your all having a great weekend. I'm so happy - I've got my last assignment due on Friday then thats me done for the semester other than my coc's. So glad I got credits and had a nice slow start to the year.

:-) Zoe p.s happy easter everyone xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wehe View Post
    Oh hun, i totally feel for you, the "med wife" seems to be the new thing doesnt it? It sucks, but just remember that is why we are training. We need to make a change in the industry, and stand up for women, become their advocates, and change one birth at a time.
    W x
    "ditto" this!
    SANDRA - Its so nice to see you round the hospital xo You don't know how nice it is to bump into someone you know, someone who's been a first year and someone who will sit and chat and just listen. Thankyou!!!
    Zoe - Awww, no probs! So glad you're loving Mid and that you are going well. It's awesome that you are just about done with the assessment items for this semester

Hope everyone is enjoying a bit of a break for Easter.

Stay well, take care
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 24-04-2011 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Im bak!!

Hi everyone,

I havent been on here for a while, thought i'd pop in and say hi.

Well im in 3rd year now and am so surprised at the work content, its actually mind blowing. Im currently doing the Maternal and Child Health unit and finding it a bit challenging. Ive done the first essay about a month ago, which really took it out of me. It was a 3000 word essay on the condition Preeclampsia and looking at nursing interventions towards the woman. Now im working on my next essay which is also a 3000 word essay and involves a 3yr old indigenous boy living in a remote area with multiple problems. It discusses that he has infected scabies, headlice, worms and possible intestinal obstruction according to his symptoms. We have to come up with three medical diagnoses and what nursing interventions we would put into place for both him and the family. It also discusses that he has been vomiting and we have to demonstrate ways that we would rehydrate him and education towards family. Also what services would be offered after discharge, taking into consideration cultural safety. Im actually struggling with the services part. Being from a regional area with multiple services available im finding it difficult in what services would be on offer for remote areas and indigenous people. Any ideas would be fantastic??
    Im doing my next clinical teaching block in Sydney for a week in July and then 4 weeks of practical. My last one was over a year ago and actually looking forward in doing more prac.

Well i hope you are all doing well with your studies and have had a great easter long weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wink Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, found it by accident when looking at ACU midwifery, must be a good omen though I think.

I had deferred my Bach of Midwifery this year but think now well hope, that I can attempt the degree. It's something I have wanted to do for a few years but hadn't been in the position, so this is it. I've been able to undefer and pick up 2 individual units in semester 2 not sure which ones yet.

I haven't done any study since finishing yr 12 in '83 and at the moment - terrified !!

Confidence levels aren't the best, but having read this forum for a couple hours, I think there are some amazing mums with young children achieving their dreams and I'm hoping to join the journey and make some friends along the way.

R

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi countrygirl67. Well done on getting an offer. It's all very exciting when you first start. I'm currently doing Mid parttime at ACU Brisbane and honestly it's alot to take in. Brush up on your biology. Next semester I think part-timers do biological science 2 and inquiry in health care or at least thats what im enrolled in. Currently I'm 4 weeks of sitting my exams for biol119 and hlsc111 and crapping myself. Lol

I think as long as your organized you will be fine. My problem is working full-time and having 5 kids doesn't leave enough time to do all the study you need to do just to keep up.

Best of luck and again congrats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Smile Needs your help, pls!!!

Hi everyone,

Just got a quick question to ask of you all. Ive been banging my head trying to work out this essay question.

Heres the question..........

Dave Agnew, aged three years, lives in a Indigenous community on the edge of a large town with his mother Doris aged 18, his father Ron aged 19, and four aunties and their families, a total of thirteen people. Their house has three bedrooms and three dogs. Bradley was breast fed until he was 10 months old and was at that stage, meeting all his milestones. However, he has been bought to the health clinic by an Auntie and Doris, because he's "really small and has the runs". This is his first visit to this clinic since he moved with his parents to the community five months ago. On examination, Bradley has infected Scabies, his abdomen is distended and tender to palpate, the area around his anus is red from scratching, he has signs of recent vomiting on his tee shirt, and is mildly dehydrated. His auntie says that he has vomited "some spaghetti" and asks if it could be worms. Bradley and Doris have obvious nits in their hair. His weight, height and the more obvious psychomotor skills all suggest that Bradley falls below the 10 th centile for his age group. His observations are: Temperature 37.4 degrees; Pulse 90, Respirations 32, Blood pressure 113/70.

They are asking for three medical diagnoses based on this case study. I was thinking Scabies, Worms and Intestinal Obstruction (secondary to the roundworms), what do you guys think?? Some ppl on the uni discussion board are saying malnutrition is one of the medical diagnosis. I would of thought the malnutrition is from the worms. It also appears that he has both pinworms and roundworms. Since the pinworms causes itchiness of the anus and sit lower down the tract whereas roundworms sits higher and causes vomiting etc. What do you guys think?? Im just after a bit of clarification, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi all, sorry to barge in but i finished my nursing degree last year and am looking for a good home for my text books. i am keeping all the hard cover ones but giving away the rest - all were bought new from uni books and have no marks, notes etc - if anybody wants them let me know, happy to separate if you dont want them all - PM me - oh, im in adelaide btw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydensmum View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just got a quick question to ask of you all. Ive been banging my head trying to work out this essay question.

Heres the question..........

Dave Agnew, aged three years, lives in a Indigenous community on the edge of a large town with his mother Doris aged 18, his father Ron aged 19, and four aunties and their families, a total of thirteen people. Their house has three bedrooms and three dogs. Bradley was breast fed until he was 10 months old and was at that stage, meeting all his milestones. However, he has been bought to the health clinic by an Auntie and Doris, because he's "really small and has the runs". This is his first visit to this clinic since he moved with his parents to the community five months ago. On examination, Bradley has infected Scabies, his abdomen is distended and tender to palpate, the area around his anus is red from scratching, he has signs of recent vomiting on his tee shirt, and is mildly dehydrated. His auntie says that he has vomited "some spaghetti" and asks if it could be worms. Bradley and Doris have obvious nits in their hair. His weight, height and the more obvious psychomotor skills all suggest that Bradley falls below the 10 th centile for his age group. His observations are: Temperature 37.4 degrees; Pulse 90, Respirations 32, Blood pressure 113/70.

They are asking for three medical diagnoses based on this case study. I was thinking Scabies, Worms and Intestinal Obstruction (secondary to the roundworms), what do you guys think?? Some ppl on the uni discussion board are saying malnutrition is one of the medical diagnosis. I would of thought the malnutrition is from the worms. It also appears that he has both pinworms and roundworms. Since the pinworms causes itchiness of the anus and sit lower down the tract whereas roundworms sits higher and causes vomiting etc. What do you guys think?? Im just after a bit of clarification, your input would be greatly appreciated!
    Are you after a medical or nursing diagnosis. In my opinion if it were a nursing diagnosis it would be Malnutrition as a result of worms(be it pin or round). Sorry I could be completely off the track here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls&1boy View Post
    Are you after a medical or nursing diagnosis. In my opinion if it were a nursing diagnosis it would be Malnutrition as a result of worms(be it pin or round). Sorry I could be completely off the track here.
    They are after a medical diagnosis, with nursing interventions based on the medical diagnosis's.