+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WEHE..That is all part and parcel of working in groups...in this group or previous group work have you run through all of the stages of group work? We had a res school day which was dedicated solely on this issue. Don't be alarmed, or Working in groups is very challenging and confusing for first years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jade24 View Post
    PM away

I honestly don't mind at all, lord knows I asked a million questions last year! haha
    Thanks, PM sent

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=OneNowOneLater;5739135]could also have something to do with the cell membrane being made of phospholipids and osmosis of water across that membrane

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I delivered my 1st , 2nd and 3rd babies this week! OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE midwifery- every aspect of it!

(ok maybe i don't like the nursing research subject i have to do at the moment, but i love the rest!)

Quote Originally Posted by jade24 View Post
    PM away

I honestly don't mind at all, lord knows I asked a million questions last year! haha

Feels good to return the favour doesn't it! I love helping out the newbies after i got such great advice from someone already doing my course the year before!
    Last edited by RHJ; 17-04-2011 at 15:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm struggling at the moment - I feel pretty disillusioned. I hate the way pregnancy is "treated" in hospital. I hate the policies that are imposed on women. I hate the unnecessary interventions I see every day. I hate how midwives talk about women in the staff room. I hate the medical model of care - what am I doing this for? Why do 55% of women get c-sections in the labour ward? why don't some women research their birth options and stand up for themselves to get the birth they want? Why do some women sucumb to the patient role and just go along with it, multiple VE's, opiates, epidurals, laying flat on their back for hours, episiotomies, syntocinon because they're not dilating 'fast enough' for their liking.

I just feel like the whole hospital system is a conveyor belt, it's a business and not focused on women centred care, all it cares about it making money. BLAH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hun, i totally feel for you, the "med wife" seems to be the new thing doesnt it? It sucks, but just remember that is why we are training. We need to make a change in the industry, and stand up for women, become their advocates, and change one birth at a time.

Hugs to you, hang in there. Im at Flinders too if you ever want to catch up for a chat?

W x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLozza View Post
    I'm struggling at the moment - I feel pretty disillusioned. I hate the way pregnancy is "treated" in hospital. I hate the policies that are imposed on women. I hate the unnecessary interventions I see every day. I hate how midwives talk about women in the staff room. I hate the medical model of care - what am I doing this for? Why do 55% of women get c-sections in the labour ward? why don't some women research their birth options and stand up for themselves to get the birth they want? Why do some women sucumb to the patient role and just go along with it, multiple VE's, opiates, epidurals, laying flat on their back for hours, episiotomies, syntocinon because they're not dilating 'fast enough' for their liking.

I just feel like the whole hospital system is a conveyor belt, it's a business and not focused on women centred care, all it cares about it making money. BLAH!
    I hear you And i swear they're teaching us to think exactly the same way through methods like making us look at our CoC ladies as just numbers to get ticked off. Everything's about numbers and ******lining.

After every shift i come home and have *something* i need to debrief about because i can't get over the way women are talked about, talked to, pressured into things etc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

narahel  (25-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally understand that POV. I am in a tertiary hospital, so am sure i will see heaps of interventions. Have already in the antenatal, and reading the post natal notes. 2 "IUGR" babies that were both well almost 3kg at 37 weeks after induction of labours, only seen two woman who wasn't on continuous monitoring, so all of them have been on the bed.
    I did get to see one very strong woman though who basically told the OB's where to go when they wanted to induce her early , shame it is only one though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah it's totally being putting me off, I have such a passion but I know I wont get the opportunity to care for women in a hospital setting the way I want to. I would be ashamed to work in a hospital as a midwife the way they are run at the moment.

I am so glad I love my nursing job, I can see myself staying there and never using my midwifery skills which is really sad, makes me wonder why I am even doing it now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsLozza For This Useful Post:

narahel  (25-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning girls,

OH sorry to those feeling a little dishartened by it all.
    I must admit I'm thinking I'm very lucky to be a Griffith. Our course is all about the women. Numbers and ticked off things can be negotiated, but not how much time we get to know our women ect. Also because these radical new way of thinking students are coming through our 3hospitals the midwives and OB's are getting used to us asking the questions that make our mums think about other options ect so they are on the most part, discussing all options and ones that as future midwives we want to see.
    Now I'm not sure that anyone will understand a word I'm saying, but I hope you get what I mean.

I'm loving GU's course and loving being a student midwife. My second mum is having bub next week - a planned c/s. I don't particually 'like' that she's have a c/s but I'm there for her 100% to support her and I love that I can be involved.

Im working my last day at work today! yay so now I can really put my all into study. I'm excited, but now have no appointments on the days I work for weeks, at least I can use my old work days as a study day.

At the moment we are just doing our coc's and start 2 hospital shifts a week in semester 2. How are all the other first years going???

SANDRA - Its so nice to see you round the hospital xo You don't know how nice it is to bump into someone you know, someone who's been a first year and someone who will sit and chat and just listen. Thankyou!!!

gotta run xo Zoe