+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Playgroups

Hiya, I'm about to take over a playgroup, I've worked in child care and after school care, but I haven't been to a playgroup in 19 years so I need some help.
    1. How much do you pay for playgroup?
    2. How much would you like to pay for playgroup?
    3. What do you or child like about playgroup?
    4. What annoys or worries you about playgroup?
    I appreciate any responses and please feel free to be honest, I want to make sure I can provide the best program I can for my community.
    Thank-you!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

mrsvandal  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1. I pay $3 per week for playgroup.
    2. I am happy with $3
    3. I loved the mixed free play , free activities (play dough, coloured rice, drawing etc) and organized crafts. Also book and singing time.
    4. I didn't enjoy the dynamics of the first playgroup I attended. I changed to another which was much better. New mums were welcomed and everyone introduced themselves at the beginning of each term.

I think it is important that activities cater for all age groups. And parents are encouraged to be active in their childrens play.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

mrsvandal  (29-03-2012),mumsies  (12-02-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1. How much do you pay for playgroup? $80 if paying before the end of feb, $100 after. Per family, our PG runs 3 days a week.
    2. How much would you like to pay for playgroup? I'm happy with the above.
    3. What do you or child like about playgroup? Socialization, art&craft, outdoor play.
    4. What annoys or worries you about playgroup? Nothing really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

mumsies  (12-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We go to playgroup twice a week and it costs nothing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to puddlejumper For This Useful Post:

mumsies  (12-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, super helpful!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My playgroup is $3 a week

3 parents a week take turns providing something for morning tea for all the kids (about 30) plus the organisers provide sandwiches and fruit so i thing the $3 is so worth it

They have a fully fenced in area outside which is where the kids mainly play as well as a big hall for extreme weather (like the heat wave)

My DD loves that she gets to roam free and play with all these "new" toys and they also have an activity each week of craft (last week was decorating cookies)

I dont have any concerns about my playgroup because while the parents are chatting, they are all still watching the kids and will pull up a naughty or mean child on their bad behaviour.

I used to take DD to a different play group and the kids were allowed to roam inside and outside as they liked which i didnt like cause i was constantly following DD back and forth because there were some really nasty boys who seemed to target the little girls.

The kids are also required to help pack up the toys so even my DD who is under 2 knows to help without being told now

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1plus2 For This Useful Post:

mumsies  (12-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just taken over running my playgroup, & we're charging $15/term (we run with school terms), plus $5 more for each extra child over 12 months (so I pay $20 for my 3.5yo, 2yo & 6 month old).

I think it's best to keep playgroups as cheap as possible - in my experience the biggest expense is the cost of hiring the hall/room you use. If you get one free, that's a massive benefit to members.

I like a lot of free play stuff - playdough and/or colouring that kids can do themselves, and 1 structured craft for older kids or that younger ones can do with help. The person previously running my group used to get out painting AND playdough AND drawing AND craft AND every single toy we had.... it was way too much.

We used to do storytime at the end, but I found only a few would sit and listen - most wanted to run around and talk. When we do singing at the end I find it more successful - the kids are more willing to join in and we do stuff like dingle dangle scarecrow or running around the room for Bananas In Pyjamas that they love because they're noisy & fun

A lot can depend on the age of your participants. This year we have a big group of 6 - 12 month olds have joined, and less older toddlers, so we wont be doing so much craft, and will have more baby stuff out.

Good luck - make sure you get all the Mums to participate too - I think it's important that all members take ownership & that way they will get more out of it for themselves and their child.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4fullstop For This Useful Post:

mumsies  (12-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was thinking of charging about $3. We are a church playgroup so all the facilities are available without cost, and we already have heaps of toys and stuff (although I am going to raid them and get rid of all the broken and grotty stuff).
    We are really fortunate to have a secured playground outside and magnificent facilities.
    What I'm hearing a lot is though it's more about the culture of the group, and I completely agree. The last thing I want is a clicky, *****y bunch of mothers and careers who let there kids run amok. So how does your playgroup stop this from happening? How do the coordinators create this? Or did just happen naturally because of the people you have in your group?
    I'd love to know. Thanks for all the replies so far too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1. How much do you pay for playgroup? Nothing. It runs through our church and they have plenty of toys and activities and don't need to hire a space to play in as they have it on the church grounds. All safe and secure.

2. How much would you like to pay for playgroup? Not more than $2.50. Otherwise it will make it hard for the lower incomes and single parents if too much is being charged. You will end up excluding the ones who need it the most. They're doing it tough enough as it is already.

3. What do you or child like about playgroup? Nothing in particular. Just likes to walk/run around and look at the other kids playing.

4. What annoys or worries you about playgroup? Big kids trampling on the little ones as there is no age division. It's age 0 upto 6 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsies View Post
    (although I am going to raid them and get rid of all the broken and grotty stuff).
    Great idea We did that with ours too - I think it had been a dumping ground for people's junk. Better to have less toys but reasonable quality than heaps of stuff that's grotty & broken.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsies View Post
    What I'm hearing a lot is though it's more about the culture of the group, and I completely agree. The last thing I want is a clicky, *****y bunch of mothers and careers who let there kids run amok. So how does your playgroup stop this from happening? How do the coordinators create this? Or did just happen naturally because of the people you have in your group?
    Unfortunately I think it's up to the members. The coordinator has a bit of influence - how you behave & include everyone can affect it, but if you get a little b*tchy clique join, sometimes that's just how they will always be. Keen to see if anyone has ideas how to create/keep a good culture. Ours seems to have attracted a good group so far this year, so I want to make sure we stay that way!