+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i had two babies at Geelong. they are good as long as you do as your are told which is why i didn't like it there . seriously though, they are very pro-natural birth and the MGP midwives are awesome bar one cow (I'm not sure if she still works there) who made life so hard for me because of my choices that I went home birth 28 weeks into my 3rd pregnancy.

anyhoo, if you are happy for a main****** experience, geelong is pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    but defintily ask for MGP middies as soon as you can because they get booked out. MGP= Midwifery Group Practice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
    but defintily ask for MGP middies as soon as you can because they get booked out. MGP= Midwifery Group Practice
    I can agree with this... I did MGP. Saying that though, I also had the beginning of pre-eclampsia and at the end of the pregnancy had to start going to the hospital to see the OB's for my appointments as I was considered high risk. I think they OB's there are fantastic as well! I've hardly ever heard of a bad experience at Geelong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - I had my DD at Werribee and I loved it!!! To the point I'm sad that we have since moved away from the area and can't go back...lol

I found the midwives during and after labour to be so supportive!

I'm pregnant again now and have found myself reading lots of negative things about Dandenong - that I'm now looking at paying a ridiculous amount of money to go private. I then have to remind myself that I read so many bad things about Werribee.

Everyones experience is so different - maybe you could ring the hospital and ask for a tour and see how you feel after that??

Good luck and Congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so very much for your responses, your suggestions and your experiences! I appreciate it all very much..

I think at the end of the day, I have myself convinced that Werribee is a bad option for me and that it is a bad and horrible hospital, with this attitude I fear that instead of being able to relax I will be constantly worried something will go wrong.

I called up Geelong Hospital and the lady I spoke to was lovely, she said it is extremely common for women from Werribee to Birth in Geelong and I shouldn't have any problems being accepted. She took down all my details and said I will be sent out some information on my first appointment and all that.

I know if I have any issues with driving to appointments, between my Mum (who lives in Geelong) and DH they will help me get there and back. Also, when it comes to being in labour I think once the first signs start we will head to my Mums house so we're nice and close to the hospital.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an issue I think I'm going to have this week! I had my first baby 2.5yrs ago in Geelong, when we lived in the area and had a great experience! My birthing midwives were fantastic, very supportive and unobtrusive and I loved it.

We have since moved to Werribee and I thought I'd be birthing at the Mercy but my doctor told me today that they're not taking anymore maternity patients due to space restrictions and haven't for some weeks and that I'd be referred to Sunshine! I've heard quite a lot about Sunshine and I'd rather not be going there just a couple of times before birthing as I'm seeing my own doctor for most appointments.

I'm tossing up just seeing if I can have this baby at Geelong... having already had one there and if they're open to Werribee women going there, I think that might be the best option for me, even if it is 40m away. I do have to be careful as my second stage lasted just 15m with my first child but the midwives all told me to make sure I come in at the extreme beginning of labour with my next baby so I think it might be doable.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my little boy at Sunshine in Feb 2010 and found it fine. Though i did get into the program that you have the same midwife for all appointments, birth and aftercare, or if they are not on then you see their collegue, who you get to meet. I also had a very quick birth and left to come home 3 hours after i had him. That was my choice as i had done the same with DD and wanted to be in my own bed. i did like the fact that if i did have to stay over, it is public and 80% of the time you get your own room and if you do have to share then it is only one other in the room.

If you are planning on staying in for a few days, then i have no idea how they are, but i had heard some not so good stories , none of which i found to be true.

Oh and i would have another child there if i am preggers and in this area still.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you go?

I am living in Werribee and not keen to go to Werribee Mercy.

Did you get in to Geelong?

I have been researching the various hospitals in my area and werribee has an exceptionally high cesarean rate, which bothers me a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NessaBotBot View Post
    I am living in Werribee and not keen to go to Werribee Mercy.

Did you get in to Geelong?

I have been researching the various hospitals in my area and werribee has an exceptionally high cesarean rate, which bothers me a little.
    I always understood that Werribee was excellent....but good luck getting through to them.....I tried for 3 weeks to contact them with no luck, ended up going private....I am pretty happy with that now...as such a busy place can't be all that great!

Kaktuz is offline Slowly losing the plot.............
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first at geelong and absolutely hated every minute of it. It still rubs me the wrong way nearly 7 years later. I had my second one is bacchus marsh and absolutely loved it, the midwifes were absolutely amazing here. Im having my 3rd in Dec and hoping for another equally positive experience.