+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Werribee Mercy/Sunshine Hospital/Geelong Hospital

Hi lovely ladies!!

I am a very happy girl as today we got our BFP! But.. now straight to business!!

I'm very confused as to where to go! We live in Hoppers Crossing but I've heard awful things about Werribee Mercy from friends... I have heard less than good things about Sunshine through Google... and I've heard great things about geelong but obviously it's a good 40 mins away (but my Mum does live about 3mins from Geelong hospital)

So I would love to hear your experiences!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed at Geelong Hospital and all I can say is that the staff were outstanding.
    It wasn't an easy labour and we had a few complications, but the lovely ladies made it a wonderful experience nonetheless.
    I can't sing their praises enough!
    The only downside was afterward- just one old, snooty nurse- but I've been told you get one everywhere!
    Congratulations and Good luck!!!

Don't let people scare you either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply!

In your experience, do you think living 40 minutes away from the hospital would be a really bad thing? Or is 40 mins not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have heard horrific stories from both werribee and sunshine.
    I grew up in geelong so everyone I knew who have had babies has them at geelong.
    They all loved it!!!
    I had my first at the womens which at the time was over an hour away from where we lived. It didn't affect us. We just made sure we accommodated the time fir travel. If ur mum is in geelong that is great! Although u may not be zoned for it. But when they ask for ur address give them ur mums!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a Hoppers girl too and I birthed at St V's private in Fitzroy, which was about 40 mins away (although the friday morning peak traffic we dealt with when I was in labour was 1hr 15mins!!!) I'd say Geelong is definitely doable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats by the way!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much guys, I never realised that this part of pregnancy would even happen. I guess I just figured you'd go to the hospital nearest and that was that! haha.

So should I tell them I live in Hoppers but will be in Geelong for my last trimester, or just tell them from the get-go that I live in Geelong??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't lie about your address, cause it might mean you miss appointments/etc, eventhough it is your mum's house (what if she goes away for a week?).

I'd personally deliver as close to home as possible. I couldn't think of anything worse than travelling 40 minutes each way to a weekly appointment when I'm full term - I struggled to drive much at all then. And I had gestational diabetes on insulin so I had to go into the hospital for twice weekly monitoring as well as once a week appointments with my Ob in the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was SO glad I lived less than 10 minutes from the hospital I delivered in.

Every hospital is going to have good & bad stories told about it. I'd go practical any day ... and with the public system restrictions you usually do have to deliver at the closest hospital to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xKrysx View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

In your experience, do you think living 40 minutes away from the hospital would be a really bad thing? Or is 40 mins not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things?
    I think, unless you had one of those freakishly short births, that you'd be fine being that far away.
    They always said to me that if at any stage early on I wanted to come in, that I was more than welcome too. That didn't happen for me though I ended up induced and staying the night before being induced again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby at Geelong as well and also had a great experience! The midwives are very knowledgable and are happy to do anything you ask!

Good luck with your decision!