+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IUI - lesbian couple wanting to start a family

Hey all, looking for some help here about IUI. My partner and I are planning on trying to start a family through IUI sometime at the end of this year / beginning of next year. As we are a lesbian couple we asked a few of our male friends to be potential donors and sadly none of them felt ready for fatherhood! So we are going to go with anonymous sperm. Now we both know that if we used a known donor that we would have to go to a counseling session with him and then have a 6 month cooling off period. But does anyone know if as a lesbian couple if we still have to do counseling before we can start IUI? It feels a little ridiculous if we do but hey that is another story! We live in Bayswater, Perth, WA and would appreciate any help Thanks for any responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Unless you informally get a 'present' from an acquaintance, all donors must be Known ID in Australia which means your child can access their information at the age of 18. My donor sperm comes from the US. It is mandatory that you have counselling, but that is just a session with a psyc and no big deal. It has nothing to do with your sexual orientation, but how you will cope with the process.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Catherine. When I say anonymous I mean an unknown donor who yes the child at 18 can find out who they are. Although after talking a bit with my partner today we are thinking about getting some sperm from Switzerland as that is where I am from and would love to keep that blood line going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I selected an o/s donor and then found that the clinic I use wouldn't deal with the company. Check with your clinic first before you make a purchase from Switzerland in case they are a bit tricky about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool, thanks for the heads up on that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    quick question, so is there still a cooling off period of 6 months after going to counselling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just wondering how you went with iui? We're you successful and which clinic did you use and what was the prices please? My partner and I are in the same situation and would love some help. Thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Catherine said it is compulsory to have counselling and concept fertility approx 12 to 18 month waiting list. From when I last looked it was about $250 a straw of sperm plus iui costs.

I also enquired about overseas sperm and I was told because of the donor registry and laws in WA, they will not ship in to WA but would to some of the eastern states clinics and my clinic also confirmed that. Its due to a donor only being able to provide for 5 families only.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by angelmama74; 31-03-2013 at 09:39.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It really depends on the clinic you go through.

We had counselling but no waiting period as we chose a donor off their list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Me and my girlfriend are going through it all too. Great to hear of another lesbian couple doing it as well !! We picked our donor from overseas too I had my first iui on the 25th march this year . We still have 1 week and 4 days till we find out if I'm preggars! And yes it's compulsory to have the six month cooling down period which sucks but surprisingly goes fast!