+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Water Birth at Calvary

Has anyone had a water birth at Calvary?

I am on the waiting list...still...for the birthing centre, but have booked into Calvary in the event I don't get in. They have one tub, and the midwife said that they are not insured for water births. She said while they will not make you get out if you choose to birth in the tub, they will make you sign a consent or waiver or something relieving them of any liability. They also said they have little experience in water birth. DH is concerned about going ahead with a water birth after hearing these things. I'm worried I'm not going to get into the birth centre, but I don't want to give up my water birth if I end up at Calvary...so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with a water birth there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I have just started my first cycle of IVF and have been investigating hospitals in anticipation. I'm definitely leaning towards Calvary but, like you, would like the option of a water birth preferably.

I'm curious as to whether you ended up birthing at Calvary and, if so, did you go ahead with the water birth?

Congratulations :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did end up birthing at Calvary.....they only let me labour in the water. When it came time to birth, they made me get out. I had a great labour and birth, but I will say that having to get out after labouring in the water was absolutely excruciating. That said, I still had a drug free birth, so it obviously wasn't *that* bad. They said they are not insured for a water birth and would not allow me to deliver in the tub (never offered any consent forms or other option)...it may change though as I gave birth in April. They told me they would pull the plug and drain the water if I refused to get out....which was kind of harsh, but I guess they were just doing their job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed at Calvary in late January this year and during our classes they told us they weren't insured for water births and they'd make you get out of the bath so it hasn't changed,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

I'm glad to find out that they at least let women labour in the water. Not so great to hear that you had to get out

I just love water, I'm a complete water baby and I have my heart set on Calvary... if I could have both I'd be a happy lady.

Were you both happy with Calvary?

Thanks for the responses; much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minus going in thinking I could have a water birth because I was told I could, I had a great experience. I feel like I had a perfect birth even though it didn't go completely to plan. I ended up getting out when it was time to push and leaning over a fit ball and giving birth on all 4's. I also spent a lot of time in the shower and preferred it to the tub for pain relief...which I wasn't expecting.
    They pretty much left me to do my own thing. The only other negative was that I went public and my husband was not allowed to stay, so I only ended up staying one night. But all in all, yes, I had a good experience and am completely happy with the way things turned out

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went private at Calvary and loved it. Can't advise on using the birth suite because I had an elective Caesarian but everything was fantastic. All the midwives are amazing and really supportive. Great help with breast feeding and general support. I was in for 5 nights and hubby stayed the whole time. Oh and I don't think I missed out on bonding with my son as a result of the Caesar. They wrapped him up and put him next to me as soon as he'd been weighed etc then did skin to skin and first feed in recovery.