+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Global Developmental Delay

Has your child been diagnosed with GDD? I thought we could start a thread to have a chat about therapies, progress, frustrations and joy with our LO's journeys, regardless of the reason for their GDD.

My son is 11 mths and has just been diagnosed. We knew this was a likely outcome given the syndrome he has, but it is kind of upsetting to hear it out loud all the same. We are so so proud of him and everything he does. At the moment we are working on crawling (he is SO keen!).

How is everyone else going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a mummy of special needs child, but my beautiful little cousin has been diagnosed with global developmental delays.

She is starting school this week in a main****** class, and she is so excited!

As a family we have been working on helping her open her pack lunch herself and she pretty much has it! so proud of her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aaliyah'smummy, thanks for your reply! You are doing an amazing thing helping with your cousin. I hope she really loves starting school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there
    My son is 5 years old and has gdd as well as a few other things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm Rachel and my DS is 3 in May and has GDD. He was diagnosed at 18 months. We are currently working on:
    *language (very limited vocab, maybe 40 words, and vary rarely are they used in the right context.),
    *social skills (doesn't know how to interact with others appropriately and we have some behavior issues),
    *play skills (usually only plays with trains/cars and then always in the same way, no imaginative play),
    and
    *independence skills (so dressing and undressing etc).
    So quite a few things on the go here I guess. We currently access speech therapy (we're on a 9 month break ATM due to our ST going on maternity leave and no replacement) and have done so for the last 12 months, Early Intervention Play-group, and are soon to undergo an OT assessment for sensory issues.

It'll be nice to talk to others in the same boat so to speak. Seeing what therapies are working and how others deal with the issues that arise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both DS1 and DS2 have it
    DS1 is mainly speech and language but he has some mild delays in
    Cognitive development, Social and emotional development as well as Sensory Issues

DS2 has delays in Motor skills (Gross and Fine) ,Speech and language development,
    Cognitive development, Social and emotional development, Daily activities

DS1 is just about to start kinder and in the last 6mths as had a major growth in his development and is doing really well (his almost 5)
    His been doing early intervention for a year and has made great progress

DS2 is 3 1/2yrs his been seen by Physio, OT and speech since he was a newborn
    and they have helped heaps its been a slow process but its gotten there
    and has been doing EI for the last year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummyof9kids .. wow you must be busy with a lot of other kidlets! Is your son going to any other therapies? How are you both (all) managing?

Damamma shame there is no replacement ST for you. Are you in a small town? We are in a country town but its quite large and there are a few options for therapies. at the moment pending an "official" diagnosis our therapies will be organised through disability services. My DS is doing OT and seeing a physio for the first time to help with movement delays. He is likely to be speech delayed too so hopefully we can start some ST soon.

hi 3BB! I didn't realise both your big boys had GDD. They were both a little bit prem weren't they? You are an amazing mummy! Is DS1 looking forward to starting kinder? Does EI encompass a lot of different therapies or is it one integrated program?

Meanwhile my DS is pushing himself around the floor... backwards. Sure, it's not where he wants to go but he's delighted to be moving all the same
    Thanks for your replies ladies .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeap DS1 was 35wks and DS2 32wks
    yeap he can wait he hasn't liked being on holidays

ATM DS1 mainly see's the ST and when needed he see's the OT/Physio
    as well as the educational advisor (she does the developmental assessments)
    and DS2 as been seeing the physio as well as ST when DS1 had his sessions

they did see them all separately but they changed how they do things
    so the ST is our main contact person which we see the most (weekly to fortnightly)
    and the others come into our sessions or we see them when needed (once a month)
    we also did weekly group sessions with with them and other kids the same age
    during terms 1,2 and 3

DS2 Old place (discharged at 2yrs) we saw all 3 together most of the time
    as well as did group sessions with 5 other families for 6wks once/twice a year
    (that was through the hospital he was in)

the early you get in and get help the better

Yay for going backwards
    and the physio will help
    DS2 wasn't doing anything at 8mths (rolling/sitting crawling ect)
    we did a intensive program with the physio/OT and
    within a month and 1/2 he was crawling

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in a country town, but like you said its a big country town (technically its a city, but I swear the attitudes of people and the store opening hours and limited access to products and facilities are that of a small rural community. Drives me crazy at times ).
    I have looked at alternatives for ST, but to go to the only other ST in town we would have to go on the wait list. And the wait list is as long as the maternity leave absence and because we are already in the early intervention program we are classed as low priority!! So basically we just have to wait it out!!
    Speech therapy is the only thing we do separate to our early intervention play-group, our other therapies etc are all incorporated into the EI play-group.
    I have an appointment with the pediatrician at the end of the month to discuss where we are 'going' and where we go from here. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there was something else going on (ie aspbergers etc), but I'll see what the pead. says I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son receives speech theripiy which is his main delay can say up to 40 words but doesnt use them much.We have now started teaching him more makaton signing and he has his own communication device .so his theripity at the moment consists on signing device and tactile theripy .we all cope very well i am also teaching hubby and other children signing i done a course to learn and teach it .He is going into preprimary this year which he will be doing 3 days main ****** and 2 days ed suport.