+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing an OBGYN - NSP or Mater

Hello,

I am trying to choose between an OB but finding it difficult especially since there are so many great recommendations in the forums. I am planning for either North Shore Private or Mater. I am looking to have a natural birth drug free (wherever possible) so need the OB to support this as much as possible.

I have heard great things about Dr Gil Burton, Dr Stephen Tan and Dr Steven Morris. I called Dr Burton's office and they can take me but he will be away on leave for 3 weeks during my pregnancy returning 10 days before my due date. His office explained that if he is unavailable then the local network of doctors will back him up - including Dr Baber, Dr Gallimore etc. I am not sure if this is a good idea as it appears to be one of the most important periods of pregnancy and worried if I do deliver early.

Dr Steven Morris has two experienced midwives who are available throughout which seems to be a bonus. Is that standard for all OBs?

I am big on asking loads of questions and need a OB that will be supportive and open to discussion.

Any recommendations on the 3 or any other names? Appreciate if you could send PM if less than positive experiences.

Thank you :-)
    Last edited by firstlight11; 30-01-2011 at 13:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll be watching this thread closely, as I am also looking for an OB at NSP.

Just out of curiosity, when will Dr Burton be away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My OB is Stephen Morris and he is great! He delivered my first bub so I came back to him again, back then he had one midwife and she was lovely, I do not think that all OBs have them working with them as he does. Regarding hospitals, also thinking between NSP and Mater I was at NSP and it was great apart a bit too noisy during a day, however I noticed that at Mater you stay 3 days only with the normal delivery and at NSP they expect you to move out on day 5, so I am going to NSP again this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I to am currently seeing dr stephen morris....so far i am happy with his services and like gotmilk, i too am booked in at NSP...I look forward to the experience there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stephen Morris was my first choice but he is going to be on annual leave exactly between 2 weeks prior to EDD and 2 weeks after EDD

His office recommended I go with Dr Sophie Lynch - does anyone know anything about her? And feedback?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Firstlight11 - I highly recommend Dr Stephen Tan - he is very supportive and relaxed and seems to always be available to see me at short notice. Dr Tan was always very patient and never once belittle me despite having lots of "silly" questions like dyeing my hair in pregnancy. The team at Mater Hospital was also very good. I have also heard good things about Dr Morris and Dr Burton as well as North Shore Private - book in early though, I found both drs and hospitals were really hard to book into. Good luck for your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by firstlight11 View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to choose between an OB but finding it difficult especially since there are so many great recommendations in the forums. I am planning for either North Shore Private or Mater. I am looking to have a natural birth drug free (wherever possible) so need the OB to support this as much as possible.

I have heard great things about Dr Gil Burton, Dr Stephen Tan and Dr Steven Morris. I called Dr Burton's office and they can take me but he will be away on leave for 3 weeks during my pregnancy returning 10 days before my due date. His office explained that if he is unavailable then the local network of doctors will back him up - including Dr Baber, Dr Gallimore etc. I am not sure if this is a good idea as it appears to be one of the most important periods of pregnancy and worried if I do deliver early.

Dr Steven Morris has two experienced midwives who are available throughout which seems to be a bonus. Is that standard for all OBs?

I am big on asking loads of questions and need a OB that will be supportive and open to discussion.

Any recommendations on the 3 or any other names? Appreciate if you could send PM if less than positive experiences.

Thank you :-)
    Hello,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

My baby was born at NSP in 2010. My ob was Dr Baber.

If we were to have another we would possibly try to book in with another ob first as we would be looking for a different type of experience, but book him if the others were u/a. That is purely our view and experience of course, others may have vastly different experiences. We had tried to book in with Gil Burton from the outset but he was going to be away when our baby was due so we chose not to book through him. The availability of 2 midwives throughout offered by Dr Morris would be excellent, our only point of contact was a rather difficult/unpleasant receptionist who negatively impacted on our experience. That said, I am sure that once you are booked in with your hospital that you could call and discuss things with the midwives there if need be? All of our paperwork listed pretty much all of the ob staff as possible alternatives should Dr Baber be away/UA on the day of delivery. I have heard so many positive reports about Dr Stephen Tan and also Felicity Gallimore. Friends rave about Vijay Roach but I have heard that his books are closed to new patients? Not sure whether that info remains current though!

We met Dr Michael Van Der Griend whilst at NSP and he seemed lovely and very approachable but I don't know anybody who has had him as their ob.

I have read the web information on Dr Janet Vaughan which sounds good to me but haven't known anyone who has had her as their ob and would be curious to hear of other people's experiences.

Good Luck with your decision making!

Good Luck with your decision making!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen Dr Steven Tan and I can highly recommend him! Very knowledgeble and a real gentleman!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dr Janet Vaughan - Obstetrics Plus

I went to Dr Janet Vaughan at Obstetrics Plus for my dating and NT scan. Afraid I was a bit disappointed. Its my first pregnancy so I was hoping for a bit more consultation and orientation with everything but the dating scan was performed very matter of fact, and there was no other questioning about my health, what I might need to know etc. This is fine if this is the norm, but after reading the website I was led to believe it could be a more supportive experience.

Nonetheless I also had the NT scan there as I wanted to make sure I had a good Dr assessing this. We were unfortunately 10mins late to the scan as there was heavy rain in the morning and we couldn't get on connecting buses as they were full and we couldnt find any taxis free. Eventually we got a bus and I rang ahead to let them know I'd be 10mins late. We went in pretty much as soon as we arrived and the sonographer was quiet but nice and after the ultrasound said it looked good to her but the doctor would look at everything and give us the final results. So we waited and then the practice manager tried to suggest sending out the results by post. I was pretty upset by this as we also chose this doctor as we were told results were given on the day - during the appointment. I think it had a bit to do with our being late (other appointments following) but it seemed cheeky to expect us to wait for such important results. In the end Dr Vaughan came out and gave us the results in the reception area. She was friendly but it was quick, and afterwards I realised I had questions that I'd rather have had a bigger window to ask within. At the end of the day we paid $300 so it felt out of proportion with our expectations. We only had 2 pics on the results and they also charge an extra $20 to get the ultrasound photos on usb (I asked if they could be emailed but they said no).

My overall impression is that this place is good if you have alot of money to spend - and get the Dr as your OB for your whole pregnancy. My sister had a better experience at Royal North Shore Private so I think I will go with them for the 18-20wk scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this thread for any other experiences/recommendations?