+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELLP syndrome and eclampsia. The csection that saved my life.

So this is the story of Kobe's csection birth. I have wrote about it on BH but now i have the report of what happened to combined with my memory i can fill the cracks of what i've if'd about.

*WARNING REALLY LONG*

Wednesday September 22nd, I went to my normal appt on (at 33 weeks and 2 days) and i began showing signs of pre-exclamsia. My FH was measuring at 28.5cm, i had been getting headaches everyday and was seeing stars, my ankles were starting to swell and so was my face, i had traces of protein in my urine, my BP was increasing. My Midwife said it was best to make an appt with the ob for the following week just to make sure it didnt evolve. And made me an u/s appt to check on blood and oxygen supply, and size because of FH.

Thursday September 30th, OBs had a conference so i had to see a midwife for the checkup, swelling and BP had increased, protein was 1+ traces, headaches had become very very painful and i was seeing stars more but the midwife said i was ok, made an appt for a CTG the following we and sent me home.

Thursday October 7th, CTG appt was at 1pm. About 1/4 past i got set upto the machine. After 2hrs of complete steadyness and high BP readings the nurse (?? IDK if she was a nurse or midwife) decided we should do a protein check, results were 4++++ protein. She tells me im being admitted. I weighed 96kg.

The nurse called the Midwifery Dept and they start to organise me a bed while the nurse inserts the canulla, then continues the CTG monitoring.

5pm Mid dept calls to say the bed is ready. I get upstairs and they take HEAPS of blood and check BP, and had booked an u/s for friday at 2pm.

Friday October 8th, U/S shows that blood and oxygen flow is ok but not as much as it should be and DS's is growing. Bloods are done to check the enzymes in my liver. Over weekend BP continue to rise, enzymes continue to increase and on sunday afternoon we discussed being induced and csection etc.

Monday October 11th, on rounds the decided i'll have another u/s at noon before my CTG at 1pm and have more bloods done for my liver. U/S shows that blood and oxygen supply is decreasing and DS is same size as 33 week scan and person that did the scan on the friday stuffed up. During afternoon rounds OBs (i had 2 OBs at this time) said that we should make sure everything is organised because Kobe would be earthside by wednesday night.

8pm Monday night DF went to leave but i asked him to stay until he was asked to leave. At 9.45pm i start to have pains in my whole stomach area and i pressed the nurse button, 10 minutes later a nurse came in and asked what i wanted, and at 10pm brang me back some panadol, she saw DF but didnt say anything so he stayed.

At 10.15pm the pain was getting to be unbareable so i pressed the nurse button and then a few minutes later again and then DF went out and got a nurse because i was screaming in pain.

The nurse came in and checked by BP (195/165), got another nurse to get the OB on duty and used the doppler to check on DS's heartbeat for in the meantime.

OB comes in and tells me that 1 of 2 things are happening, either 1 im in labour or 2 my liver and kidneys are failing. She did a cervical check and put me onto the CTG machine and both showed that i was not in any stage of labour and it was my liver and kidneys. At this stage i called my mum and asked if she could bring up more batteries as ours in our camera were dying and i wanted them to take heaps of photos. I began to loose eyesight

At 11 im taken to Birth Suite while theatre was being cleaned since there was just a csection done and they were sterolising etc. My mum comes up and asks if its ok that she stay until she knows we both are fine. At 11.25pm DF and my mum are presented with the risks (of my HELLP syndrome and eclampsia) while im being prep'd with my epi etc. DF gets his scrubs and gets changed and our son was born at 11.49pm at 36weeks gestation weighing in at a little 2.2kg(4lb 13.5oz) and a HC of 32.cm.

Our Son with his daddy at 20 minutes old

Our boy

*I have no memory from here until the saturday morning.*

At 3am Tuesday morning i began not responding and CT and MRI showed my brain had/was swelled/ing, i was transfered to ICU. CT and MRI showed my liver was not functioning and neither was my kidneys. Over night I swelled even more and my thighs were 110cm in diameter (normally 66cm, still large but they were almost double) and my arms were 53cm in diameter (26cm normally, they had doubled) and i couldnt close my hands because of how swolen my fingers were. Because of everything I became a case for 4 OBs to handle and a cardiologist, 4 lovely OBs and 1 total @r$ehole cardiologist.

I spent the next 4.5 days in ICU with some time being awake but incoherent, I continued to say I was excited about potatoes, I yelled at my dad not to come near me and wouldnt let DF or my mum touch me, the nurses helped me BF DS but during his feeds i would loose eyesight and would ask where he was although he was right infront of me.

*I remeber again from here.*

On saturday morning at 3am I woke up and from then I began to recover and on sunday morning I was transfered back to birth suite. Monday morning i was tranfered back to midwifery and was given a 3hr pass to leave and return later that day(I was at huge risk of developing agoraphobia) and Tuesday the 19th I was discharged but spent the day in special care with Kobe. He stayed in special care and was discharged on the 25th.

He is now 15.5 weeks old and is double his birthweight.

DS now

Last edited by Orris Apjoko; 27-02-2013 at 10:43.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Orris Apjoko For This Useful Post:

MyFourCubs  (29-01-2011)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know we are chating on facebook right now, but i wanted to repply here as well massive hugs to you, you poor thing to have to go through all of that, Im glad your lil man is doing well and that you managed to make it though all of it

HUGS xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Amy, i feel quite lucky to have my little man! I feel terriable for my parents and df because of how i rejected them but they understand it wasnt me being malitous. Thanks for the hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Wow what a scary time glad you are both ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What an amazing story. I wish all your family lots of luck and health. Best Wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow!! I don't know what else to say

Your little man is soooo gorgeous though. I love the pic of him and Daddy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thank my lucky stars everyday oopsiedaisy! Thankyou cute one. As much as i wish it was me im glad df got that bonding time, my mum took about 50 of those photos!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Congrats to you Orris - on your baby boy.

My sister had HELLP and had her little girl taken away until day 5 she found it hard to believe she had a baby. It was a hard time for all people who loved her and wanted to support her. (she only had pics of her little girl) while both she and her little girl had to have blood transfusions they are both doing very well 10 years down the track.

She also had to have an emergency c-section and ended up having a second c-section with her second child as she was so worried about repeating the first issues - mind you this was after 6 miscarriages after the birth of her daughter.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    pegasus was you sister presented with risks of having more? I have a 40-60% chance of it happening with worse results (brain damage or death). Did her liver and kidneys repair?

My liver is has the damage that a 45yo alcoholic that has been drinking for 25yrs would have. And my kidneys are still processing 3+++ of protein, i go back for a review in 11mths to see if they are repairing and review my chances.

We've been told that at the stage if i had another child then it would be born at 30weeks by csection but at this point we arent considering another one if it means our sons life could be altered from me having brain damage.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again

Just had a big chat to my sister.

I read her your story - and she says it sounds very familiar (including that she has missing memories).

I'm not sure if I said - but her daughter is now 10, and her son is now 5. She said her levels did return to normal during the year following the birth of her daughter, but she made sure she avoided alcohol and pain medications at the time and took milk thistle (supplement for liver recovery), to aid the process. She was 30 at the time.

As I said - she had 6miscarriages between her two children and wondered if any of this was related.

They'd also told her that her risk was far greater to get HELLP with her son - and were going to deliver him 2weeks early via c-section - he was presenting posteriorly so it was looking likely regardless.

She had her normal OB appointment booked for the Monday and started having headaches, vomitting etc on the Sunday night. Went into hospital and her daughter was delivered on Monday night, Her - taken directly to ICU in the hospital she was in, and her daughter directly to the ICU of the childrens hospital here in Perth. She was born at 35 +3 at 2.2kg.

Happy to say that my neice is now a healthy beautiful girl who is highly intelligent and doing fantastically well. (My sister is the same).

Any other questions - fire away - my sister is happy to chat about this (now - was very scary at the time)/

I hope your health returns as is should,