+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cervical stitch restrictions and progress

Im 21 weeks pregnant with a cervical stitch in place at 19 weeks. the only restriction placed on me was no sex - due to this and my many previous m/c and no heavy lifting. I want to know if anyone else who is in a similar situation and what restrictions were placed on you and how is everything going.

Also is swimming allowed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there,
    I had a stitch with DD, and was told not to go swimming or for baths, as water may become "stuck" near the stitch and cause infection.
    Like you, sex and heavy lifting were also restrictions I was given, and if possible not be on my feet for long periods of time. I was also advised not to travel too far from a hospital, as in the case I went into prem labour I would need the stitch removed or drugs to stop labour.

I had my stitch placed at 14 weeks, and by 24 weeks my cervix had funnelled so that it was open above the stitch but closed below. I had the stitch removed at 37 weeks and DD stuck in there until 41 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow - that is certainly encouraging to read your story Naebie. Im still very uneasy about this pregnany. each day I wonder what today will be bring. Im now at the point of worry each time the baby kicks very low towards the cervix..But as I read many previous posts thread this is nothing to worry about. So I haven't brought this to my doc attention.

Im due to have my 20 week scan next Monday and hope that my cervix hasn't shorten or funnelled more than it has already. If it has I have been told that I could up in hospital on strict bed rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After my 24 week scan where my cervix had funelled to the stitch, I was told to "take it easy" and bedrest was mentioned as a possibility, but by taking it a bit easier I managed to avoid it. I was prepared to have moderate to strict bed rest at home for the sake of staying out of hospital... So rest up as best you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks Naebie I will...just trying to keep my mind busy is driving me insane... How much tv can you watch ,..LOL that itself is enough to send you right to bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ha definitely! Let's just say that much of my post count on here is from when I was resting with my stitch in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a stitch with DD and had it done at 14weeks as my cervix is short prior to pregnancy and caused pre term labour with DS at 22w.

I wasn't allowed near pools or baths for the same reason naebie mentioned I was also on bed rest from the day the stitch was put in until 34weeks. Wasn't allowed to lift anything at all and wasn't allowed to do any house work, was also told no cooking but I choose to ignore that.

At 28w the part of my cervix above the stitch shortened dramatically and it lOoked like DD was arriving at 31 weeks but the stitch kept everything closed and was removed at 36.5 weeks and I was induced at 37+1 at my request.

I have to have a stitch done for every pregnancy otherwise I won't make it past 20-24 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I can see my posts increase too

i was told no cooking but really besides being on your feet, why the need to avoid it? i dont trust my hubby as it is in the kitchen and knowing him it would be take out each night if he had his own way...

were you both closely monitored at all?

I have been seeing my obyn every two weeks since 14 weeks and was told it would be up to 22 weeks - this was before my stitch was done. I would presume now montioring will continue up until the stitch is removed???

can you opt to have the labour induced at the same time as the stirch removal?
    i would love to have my parents meet our son prior to their o/s trip a couple weeks later. 36.5 weeks is when i am told he would remove it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had fortnightly visits throughout my pregnancy, from memory, and a few extra internal scans in there too so as to measure my cervix, and check the stitch was holding.

I have heard about being induced when the stitch is removed, but I wasn't offered that option- I may ask about it next time though, as I'll also need a stitch with future pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shantelle, Im very interested in your thread!
    My next pregnancy, which I hope wont be to far away, I have to have a stitch due to IC and I noticed you are in Melb, any chance you dont mind sharing who your Ob is? I have an Ob and am going for a visit in 2 weeks to discuss everything, but Im not sure how many he has done or how good he is etc, so would love a little more info. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Also was yours put in at 19wks as they only discovered your changes then or is that when your Ob suggested? I think my Ob said about 12weeks. Sorry just curious.

Oh and if you are interested there is an American IC forum which has heaps of good info on stitches etc, just google it, someone here suggested it to me and I have found it useful.

Sorry to hijack your thread!