User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Christianity & IVF - do the two go hand-in-hand?

I am a Christian and I need some advice from other Christian women out there. I have discussed a few things with my discipleship leader re falling pregnant etc, but I haven't been able to ask her about IVF and whether it is acceptable or not.

I believe that if a person has absolute utmost faith in God, then He would bless them with a child. He knows the desires of our hearts, and is the author and creator of all things - therefore he is the creator of a new life on earth - that is, the life of a new baby to grow within me.

A part of me wants to believe that Christianity isn't showing disrespect or lack of faith; but another part of me says that if I were really willing to wait and let all things happen in Gods time, then He would bless me with a child naturally.

Do you Christian ladies believe that to go through with IVF is to have a lack of faith? Or do you think that it is helping the physical body 'catch up' with the spiritual?
    DS - May 07 - c'sect
    DD - Dec 08 - VBAC at Home
    Surprise due mid September

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think using IVF is indicative of a lack of faith. I believe God allows advancements such as IVF to occur specifically to help people overcome fertility challenges. Your child will be a Christian, and how can wanting to bring another Christian into the world be bad in God's eyes?
    That's the way I view it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm not sure that being able to conceive a child without assistance has anything to do with the amount of faith one has....

Pink Lady, you have me pondering!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think God has different plans for everyone. Only you would know if it is the right thing for you or not. Just pray..and God will let you know. If you really think it feels right, go for it.
    Bellarella 21

Thanks
    Reviews
    I firmly believe God gave us doctors and technology for a reason. I have no problem with the concept of IVF. The problem is with unused embryos (either destroyed or used for research). I have heard about where they only take the eggs they are going to implant in one hit so there are none to freeze. All the best with your dreams and efforts for a baby.
    Us: Me + DH
    DD1 (6), DD2 (3)
    DS1 (4), DS2 (1)

Thanks
    Reviews
    God helps those who help themselves. Good luck!
    Me & Him
    Nicholas Ian 5/5/06 Alana Rose 30/8/07
    Rory Jake 17/6/09

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends on how you look at. Maybe God led someone to discover IVF just so that it could help people in your situation. I was brought up to believe God helps those that helps themselves.

It's like the old story of the man in a boat, lost in the ocean. He prays for God to rescue him. Soon a rescue plane comes but the person waves them off and says 'It's okay God will save me.' Then comes a boat and a helicopter but they all get the same response. Soon the person is crying out to God, 'Why don't you save me?' God says, 'Didn't you see the plane, boat and helicopter I sent?'

Anyway, it's abit off topic but I hope you get the idea. Like someone else has mentioned the main quandry that christians usually have is with the use of embryos. There are ways around that though such as only fertilising the eggs that you will definitely use etc.

Hope that helps Good luck with the journey ahead.
    Lisa (23)
    DP (30)
    Davey (03/06)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah, i dont think IVF is bad or anything for a christian, (as long as they use there own eggs and sperm) and God does know the desires of our hearts and he knows the plans that is best for us, ill pray for you if you like? i know God will give you the answers that you need, and He does have the perfect timing too. hope all goes well, may God bless you abundently!

Jeremiah 29:11 For i know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

just thought id put those in for you, i really pray that you will be able to conceive naturally soon. may God bless you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not christian, but I figure... if god is responsible for everything, then he is responsible for IVF and you should go for it.

It reminds me of a joke/story.

A man is hanging from a cliff. He slipped, and now he is just hanging by his finger tips. Below him, waves crash against enormous sharp rocks. He begins to pray to God to save him. So strong is his faith in God's help, that when a man approaches and offers his hand to help him up, he says 'no, God will save me, I have faith.' The rescuer goes away. The man continues to pray. A few minutes later a boat appears below him. They call up with a microphone - 'let go! we have a net and we will catch you!' The man calls back 'I have faith in God, he will save me!'. The boat leaves and the man, fingers slipping more every second, keeps praying for his Lord to rescue him. A helicopter approaches, and drops a rope. The pilot calls for him to grab on. Again, he refuses. The helicopter leaves, and the mans fingers finally give out and he falls to his death below.
    When he gets to heaven, he approaches God and asks "Lord, I had faith in you. Why didnt you reach out and save me?"
    The Lord looks at him and says....

..."I sent you a guy, a boat and a helicopter, what else do you want??"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Religion teaches us and tells us all sorts of things...they are guides...faith lies in the heart...its your relationship with God and if you feel at peace about IVF, then follow your heart!!
    Five beautiful children all born at home in water and supportive loving husband to help me raise them