Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    any one particular company who might be represented in lots of rural towns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What businesses/facilities are ALWAYS (pretty much) in a small country town:

I'm guessing:

General store (supermarket)
    Pub
    Club (bowls club/golf club/RSL)
    Community Hall
    Information Centre
    Post Office
    Hairdresser
    Chemist
    Public toilets
    Service station
    School

anything else?

For those of you who live in a small town ... which of these things do you think could accommodate a parents room?

What facilities are there for parents in small town? Do you get child health nurse visits etc?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our servo is the general store/ post office/lunchbar/liquor store.
    the mchn does house visits from the next town over

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In kalgoorlie they have the womens health centre and it used to cost about $10 for a years membership and you could go use their change facilities and sit in their library/ breast feeding area in air conditioning during the day. It was great if you wanted to spend all day in town as some ppl drive in from towns hundreds of kms away to do their shopping or for appointments, it made it less stressful.
    I like some of the new bf and baby change places but they are always indoors and in a toilet style setting and I feel uncomfortable to bf in a place like that. Windows would be nice and the bf area separate to the change area. Like the rest rooms at the train station in perth where you pay a fee and there is chairs to sit and feed and a view over the city.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 03-02-2011 at 14:50.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    In kalgoorlie they have the womens health centre and it used to cost about $10 for a years membership and you could go use their change facilities and sit in their library/ breast feeding area in air conditioning during the day. It was great if you wanted to spend all day in town as some ppl drive in from towns hundreds of kms away to do their shopping or for appointments, it made it less stressful.
    Hi Lulu2,

That is interesting! A membership fee ... what about visitors to kalgoorlie? Were they able to use it free of charge or maybe make a donation?

So do you know who ran the room? Cleaned it? Was it the state government?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bheditor View Post
    Hi Lulu2,

That is interesting! A membership fee ... what about visitors to kalgoorlie? Were they able to use it free of charge or maybe make a donation?

So do you know who ran the room? Cleaned it? Was it the state government?
    The facility was run by the WHS and I think it is govt funded. You didn't have to be a member to use the change rooms but you can borrow books for free if you are a member and it was just a few details on a form and $10 and your instantly a member. They also have female gps who do papsmears and womens health for a gold coin donation and it is all bulk billed and classes for women and kids and a newsletter. So I guess a visitor could donate a coin (they have a box in the foyer) or use it for free.

Most of the larger towns where everyone does their big shops have child health centres and that would be good if they could have days open for feeding mums with beverages and a play area for the toddlers while the mums bf. Sort of a meet up and somewhere you know you can go on your shopping day for a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The facility was run by the WHS and I think it is govt funded. You didn't have to be a member to use the change rooms but you can borrow books for free if you are a member and it was just a few details on a form and $10 and your instantly a member. They also have female gps who do papsmears and womens health for a gold coin donation and it is all bulk billed and classes for women and kids and a newsletter. So I guess a visitor could donate a coin (they have a box in the foyer) or use it for free.

Most of the larger towns where everyone does their big shops have child health centres and that would be good if they could have days open for feeding mums with beverages and a play area for the toddlers while the mums bf. Sort of a meet up and somewhere you know you can go on your shopping day for a break.
    Thanks for the info.

That sounds like an excellent scheme. Excuse my ignorance but how big is Kalgoorlie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bheditor View Post
    Thanks for the info.

That sounds like an excellent scheme. Excuse my ignorance but how big is Kalgoorlie?
    It has a population of about 34k and is 600kms from perth and has several towns around it that use it as their main place of shopping and those towns are from 50-450kms away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It has a population of about 34k and is 600kms from perth and has several towns around it that use it as their main place of shopping and those towns are from 50-450kms away.
    So it is rather big then ... even though it is quite isolated. Like a hub for all the other towns around it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    What about encouraging coles or woolworths to have feed and change facilities? Coles has their baby club and also parent parking so they might ne open to suggestion.
    Or amcal?
    Our Mchn office has a room that is sometimes open for feed/change but only locals would know about it.
    I'd like to know that each town of a decent size had at least one clean, private space for changing and feeding. Big enough for a double Pram, chair for mum, change table and (might be stretching it!) Microwave and sink for bottle feeding mums. Windows and fresh air would also be pretty great!

Yeah, you are right. It seems like these facilities could only exist if they were sponsored by a corporation like Coles or Woolies. I wonder if many towns have there though. Would it be more likely to be an IGA?

Or the government ... like state health department or something.

Then it would need to be cleaned as well...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast