+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Diploma of Nursing Onine

Hi everyone
    I have been looking into studying Nursing & Midwifery but after alot of research have made the decision that midwifery will just have to wait until my youngest is at school. I am still interested in doing my nursing before then.

Gold Coast TAFE offer diploma of nursing online. Anyone doing it & starting in March?? I could do everything online except for the practical components which i would have to go to the Gold Coast (I am in VIC) for 2 weeks in Sept this year, 2 weeks in June 2012 & 1 week in April 2013. DH is willing to take the time off work for me to go & do this & then i would have to do my placement which i can do in VIC & this can be as flexible as i want it to be as long as i do the 320hrs over the last 2 semesters.

Now that it is all possible... i cant make up my mind if i should do it or not. I guess i'm scared I'm really scared of failing. I haven't studied in since 1999 & i feel like my mind is just mush after having kids. Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lucky you, i looked at this course but it was like $10k is that right, to much for us sadly

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is roughly $14,500 but you can get VET FEE help which is like HECS

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also looked at it but the $14,500 is way too much for an 18 month Diploma. It works out cheaper to go to uni and do nursing.

Kirsty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought, like Kirsty, I would also look at doing a BN as you can do it online and similar costs but better pay when you graduate and greater scope of practice and jobs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Azhure For This Useful Post:

tired*mummy  (26-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey, don't worry about going back after you've had a bubba and still have baby brain! I did and my GPA is 6.0

Another option if you could wait a year is to try the STEPS program externally through CQU. It might give you a lot more confidence to tackle study. It was an awesome program

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I'm on the enrollment process in gold coast tafe online diploma of nursing. Yup. It's about $14,500 + 1k for materials like books and cd's. You can apply for a student loan, they also do payment plans, and VET-FEE HELP. I have a student number already, done the proficiency test, and they are just waiting for my application for the payment plan.(well that's my choice for mode of payment). But we find it hard for us to do the residential school. DD is only 6 months old and DP is a RN who works 40-50hrs a week.. So I'm now having second thoughts if I can start this march.. Good luck Hun. If we both decide to go for it then we might see each other in residential school..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

Supramum - Yes i know how you feel about the residential schools. My DS is just 5 months old & i have the my girls to think about to & my DH also work very long hours like yours. But he said he can take to 2 weeks off for the residential school & i think the 2nd week of the residential it is school holidays down here in VIC so DH said he would bring the kids up for a mini break - so i think it is do able for me i am just having a few problems with organising my own placement. Did you have to do that too or did the TAFE help you out? Are you doing it full or part time?

I have applied for part time as i think the residential schools will be easier for me to organise etc. After the first one they a 9/10 months apart so at least it gives me time to save & DH to organise time off & i also would have more time to complete my placement.
    Last edited by tired*mummy; 26-01-2011 at 10:14. Reason: Forgot to add

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im on my phone so didnt know that youre in VIC. DP told me to do it full time. And he is also helping me with the organizing of my placement. But He finds it difficult for him to take a leave that long and stay with DD. and it has been impossible for him too to apply for a leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah it is very hard! I dont mind going to the gold coast for the residential school though. Gives me an excuse to go away lol & i LOVE the Gold Coast.
    DH & I want to eventually move to QLD but he cant at the moment because of work commitments. I just wished they made the placement part a little easier to organise.