+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Normal iron levels in pregnancy?

OK, i had a midwife appointment today and the midwife was surprised at how high my iron levels are. I've always known that my iron levels are good and i've never had any problems. Anyway, my level is 143. I didnt think to ask what normal is so here i am, asking my BH medical professionals

Thanks
    Reviews
    normal level for women is 115 to 150 or 160. men its something like 130 to 170.

my levels have always been good. when i first found out i was pregnant (9 weeks) my level was 145 and when i was about 6 months it had dropped to 113. my GP started me on iron tablets cause she said it will drop more after the baby is born (due to blood loss) and i was already feeling quite tired (side effect of low iron levels). but none of the midwives i have seen have been worried about the level, saying its ok for pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine is usually about 130 at the start of a pregnancy and 115 at the end of it.

eta the lower the level the more efficiently your body will absorb iron, and women will absorb iron and calcium much more efficiently in pregnancy anyway. Ie so in theory if your level is 150, you won't absorb as much iron from your diet as if your leve was 100.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was 136 at the start and went down to 111. They told me 110 is the cutoff point and below that is considered low iron. So I got put on flurodix..but im thinking maybe i should take something else as its giving me the worst indigestion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the opposite problem - mine is always really low. I went for a blood test when I was about 16 and my level was less than 20! I have to make sure I eat heaps of iron rich food and take liquid iron, or have iron shots - bleh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies. Just thought I would say, The first few posts numbers look like haemoglobin (which in turn gives and idea of iron levels. The last post (Hopefullyamumma) number looks like actual iron level. A haemoglobin of 20 would be fatal. I went down to 102 and have been taking flurodix. It does make my already bad heartburn worse at times but is by far the most gentle way to take an iron supplement, plus it tastes 100 times better than the chemist brand iron liquid (was like drinking nails).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Ob said that it should be between 15 and 200. Mine started at 17, and last test was 9.

She told me off cos i forget to take my multivitamin all the time, and just told me to start taking them again. I was taking spatone sachets as well, but ran out... Should I be doing something else!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was kinda reading everyone elses numbers and felt a little embarassed about just how low my count gets... I don't know the normal range, just that most doctors I see look very concerned when they read my results!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My iron levels as of today were 6 (yes SIX), down from 9 and before pregnancy my average was 102.

Im just on a simple iron tablet to help. Im not stressed about it because I know these levels do fluctuate for all women, especially pregnant ones like may of us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Normal iron levels in pregnancy?

Last pregnancy my levels got down to 2. I needed an iron transfusion.

When my levels were 7 the hospital said they were normal

Not sure what they are this time but I'm going to get them checked when I see my GP next.

Your levels sound good. If your worried just add some more iron enriched foods.