+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtsmama View Post
    She's so tiny and cute do you know how much she weighed around then? Thanks for sharing
    She would have been less than 3kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second daughter was considered iugr. My ob kept a really close eye on her and I had extra ultrasounds and monitoring in the last few weeks. She was born at 40+2 after going in to spontaneous labour and weighed 2.6kg which is only 100g above the weight where most babies go to special care automatically. She wasn't very responsive at birth but she was breathing, just quiet. She wasn't interested in breastfeeding for the first day and wouldn't even take expressed milk from a syringe or cup. I put it down to her tiny mouth having trouble latching on but on the second day she managed to work it out and she's fed fine ever since.
    She's now 3.5 weeks old and normal. She came home with me after 3 days in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chuppa chup View Post
    I'm not sure if DD was classified as an IUGR baby or not. The paed and my Ob never mentioned it but a MW did.

I went into labour spontaneously at exactly 37wks. DD weighed 2.460kg (HC 34cm, length 48cm). So average head and length but she was skinny. She was a fantastic feeder right from the start. We had a normal length hospital stay. When we left hospital (4 night stay) she only weighed 10g less than her birth weight. The only thing that was done was the MW's checked her blood sugar every 3hrs for the first 12hrs or so to make sure it wasn't dropping too low. It didn't

Like I said I don't know if DD was IUGR but a scan I had at 34wks showed she was on the 50th percentile for size. For the next 3wks of the pregnancy I didn't really feel like I was getting much bigger - my Ob didn't think so either. I was getting heaps of movements from DD and that's all my Ob was really concerned with. I spoke with my Ob about this after DD was born and she said that even if we'd know definitively that DD had stopped growing she would have still left her in as long as she was still moving heaps so her lungs had a chance to develop properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by myhusbandswife View Post
    My DD was the same. I went into labour at 38.6. She was born weighing 2.4kg and they took her to SCN for a bit to monitor her. I had a MW make sure she was feeding properly everytime we BF and she was weighed daily.

No one ever mention IUGR but I was measuring to dates up untill about 35 week.

Im now almost 34 weeks and Ill be having a scan on friday to check the growth and wellbeing of this bub because they are worried he will be smaller than DD
    I feel as if I may have been in this category with my last baby too, although no mention of IUGR was made until I was 37 weeks when a doctor picked up that I was measuring 4weeks behind. Being my third baby and I had two natural safe deliveries prior I was always whisked in and out and never measured carefully, just told your small so you'll ahve a small baby. My babies have got progressively smaller, the first being 3.1 the next 3.0 and my third 2.8.
    I had scan at 37weeks which showed she was very small, I had low fluid also.
    Was told no need for concern though.
    I went into spotaneous labour at 39weeks and she was born 6lb3oz which is small for almost fourty weeks but I thought it was pretty normal. BUT her placenta was literally half the size of a normal placenta, when my waters broke during transition, the midwives didn't believe me because there was almost no fluid, just a small amount of mucous. She also came out looking overdue, wrinkled, no vernix and pretty dry.
    I am convinced that she was struggling in those last few weeks. I feel thoroughly grateful that she a very healthy almost one year old, who breastfeed like a trooper for 7months and is walking now at 11months. She is still very small for her age, healthy but small.
    Knowing what I know now, makes me very anxious for my current pregnancy and I will be talking to my GP about my last pregnancy as I want to be monitored closely, things went ok last time but what if it is worse this time.
    Does IUGR tend to get worse with each baby??

Kurtsmama- I hope your bub can stay safe inside for as long as possible My DD born at 2.8kgs was in 00000's for at least a month. She was very short 46cms long, so everything swam on her lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was Scarlett at about a week and half old
    And my small belly in labour at 39 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of mine were born small, long, but skinny. Dd & ds2 had trouble maintaining their temperatures for the 1st day, but were fine after that. Ds2 is 6 weeks & he fits into 0000 jumpsuits for the length & 00000 for around his waist. Apart from their temperatures for the 1st day, my babies have been healthy, they've always fed well & have stacked on the weight & looking at dd now you wouldn't believe how small she was at birth.
    Ds1 was the only one who needed to go to the special care nursery, but he's got issues un related to his low birth weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Scarlett is sooo cute thanks for all the replys. When were your bubs born becca? I just hope and hope she has put on weight at the next ultrasound. I had a 32 weeker last pregnancy he was so sick it scares me that this one could be unwell at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also the cord flow and fluid seems to be ok ATM has anyone it be ok then things go dramaticly in the other direction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    LIL ex men-BUT her placenta was literally half the size of a normal placenta, when my waters broke during transition, the midwives didn't believe me because there was almost no fluid, just a small amount of mucous. She also came out looking overdue, wrinkled, no vernix and pretty dry.

This was my DD. Everyone thought she was overdue because of how wrinkled she was and how dry her skin was. I also had almost no fluid when they broke my waters, Id expected a big gush but i didnt get anything!

Was quite the shock when DD2s waters broke and went every where!

DD1 was in 0000, which were massive on her, only because i didnt have any 00000 clothes and even the 0000 i had to send my mum out for more because id only gotten a couple. She stayed in 0000 for a few months then packed the weight on and became a full chubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of mine were IUGR. DS was induced at 37 weeks he weighed 2.4 kgs. Health problems:

He could not maintain his body temp
    Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
    Poor sucking reflex
    Jaundice

Much to mine and my OBs amazment the pead discharged us on day 6 (we went private) but ds was not feeding well and was as orange as an ompa loompa so his recovery was slow but not life threatening and in the end I took him to emergency department of our local public hospital who treated the above problems properly.

DD was born at 36 weeks again weighing 2.4kgs

She had all the above problems although her sucking reflex was more developed and she took straight to the boob. She was born via C/S and the pead who looked after us was thorough and managed things much better than the one who looked after our son. Despite the fact that DD had lost 10% of her body weight we were discharged on day 6 as the pead was satisfied that she was feeding well, her jaundice had almost dissapeared and she was overall nice and healthy. We had to take her into the hospy every 2nd day to be weighed as he wanted her weighed on the same set of scales which was fine with us and we also had to wake her for 3 hourly feeds. I was breastfeeding but due to her being small and weak I would finish each feed by expressing what she did not take and then topping her up with the expressed milk in a bottle which was easier for her to drink. Worked well, although exhausting but within a week she was back at her birthweight and is now a very healthly 15kg 3 year old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovelymum can I ask if the fluid dropped low or of their was any problems with cord flow? What made them decide it was time to take them out at 37 and 36 weeks? And do you know when or if they stopped growing before they were born? Or were they just not putting on enough weight/growth?