Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for your comments so far!

We haven't forgotten about this topic but it is a very complicated issue and it will take a while to sort out what is needed and what we can do.

FunKy~Mummy - you mentioned a letter you'd like to send. What is in the letter and could it be turned into a petition of sorts?

I was thinking about the teachers in regular schools ... they do get training on how to look after kids with special needs but they can hardly be considered experts. Plus all the training in the world won't help when they don't have the time to devote to individual kids anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah my child is not able to attend special school but not coping in main****** school either. If I was able to do it, I would be homeschooling her but unfortunately that isn't possible in our situation because on top of all her struggles, she was also born into a single parent family on a very, very low income, which makes it impossible not to have a job to bring in enough to keep our heads above water. So she continues to suffer. Year 2 now, and she will probably suffer all through school. Sure she has a teacher aide, but the teacher aide isn't able to give her much help at all when she zones out and takes nothing in. It's so hard for these kids! They learn in a completely different way!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

BH-editor  (07-02-2011)

FunKy~Mummy is offline If ya filled me with water I would leak. Vampires I tell you they are vampires
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So sorry everyone!!! I have been MIA We have just had Dans AQ Teacher go to his main****** school to see how things are set up for him. she said never in her life has she had to step in. It was so chaotic, there was no table or chair for him (there was originally im furious at that) he just had a cushion in the corner on the floor, he left the room and no one checked on him, the teachers aide came in and said "you will have to teach me the ropes" Dan asked where the ropes were. The AQ teacher said that was enough, both teachers questioned his ASD diagnosis (i am a bad mum with bad parenting skills with Dan but Tahli has been put up a grade as she is coming on so well but that is the schools doing apparently) they alos constantly talked about Daniel in front of him and I was disgusted with that
    I do have a web site that I am in the middle of doing up. Called a voiceforkids.org and I guess there is a genuine needs for teachers to learn how to teach children with disabilities in a main ****** setting. I didn't just walk into my job with no training and start caring for people with disabilities and mental illness!!!
    I think Teachers are being let down and therefore children are being let down and falling through the cracks!!!!
    I will get the letter finished As we come across more issues I have been adding more things to the letter and I would like it to be signed by as many people as possible so it can be given to both state leaders and the Prime Minister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooperVagiDuper View Post
    in our case no. we came from northern nsw before we moved and there wasnt a single special needs trained teacher in the entire shire! there were teachers that had worked with SN kids but nothing official....just go with the flow type of experience. there was no funding to for the teachers to get training. they had to pay for it themselves which they couldnt do or have time for.
    That's terrible! I have to admit my comment was based on very extensive research ... ie. I asked ONE teacher and he said he had received some training. So I shouldn't have really spoken for all teachers all over Australia.

Anyway, this teacher said his training was in the form of seminars etc on professional development days (student-free days) but this didn't really matter because he has no time in class to devote individual attention to every child, let alone those with special needs who need extra and even more tailored attention. Is a very tough situation.

It seems teachers are having to do more and more these days ... too much paperwork etc and not enough time to actually teach and look after the kids!

Still, there needs to be a standard course for main****** teachers that all must go to (we can work on the issue of them not having enough time later). At the moment it just seems very disjointed and up to the individual school - ie one school might think it is important for teachers to learn this and another might not.

ETA: oh and I can't believe that some schools make teachers pay for this themselves ... this shouldn't happen either!! Sheesh.
    Last edited by BH-editor; 07-02-2011 at 12:04. Reason: eta and bad spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12