+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you regret it? Absolutely not. My three caesars were great (first one was emergency, subequent two were elective)... and my recovery was better and quicker with each one. I had my last caesar just over three weeks ago and you'd never know.

Is it what you always wanted? Yes... but because I was a public patient, I wasn't allowed to have an elective caesar with my first baby. I was very excited when I found out that I'd have to have an emergency caesar (though I had to endure 15 hours of induced labour first to get it).

Did people try to put you off? Absolutely... the doctors treated me like I was an idiot when I told them I would like to have an elective caesar with my first baby and they seemed to just assume that I wouldn't have the capabilites to make my own informed decisions. I consider myself very well informed about caesareans... and in all honesty, my caesars were actually much, much better than even I expected.

Was your ob all for c section? No, not for my first baby.. see above. But for my second and third caesars, the doctors were very accepting of having an elective caesar. Nobody tried to sway me to have a VBAC.

Overall, I loved my caesars. My experiences were very positive and I would easily do it all over again if I had to. The only thing I would recommend is that anyone considering having an elective caesar should make sure they make an informed decision before going into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you regret it? Nope, not at all.Bubs was transverse and then footling breech and my waters broke and she still didn't move. Obs said she was too risky to VB and I believe him

Is it what you always wanted? No I was happy to try a VB but not for breech. Holding my baby safely in my arms is what I had always wanted and I didn't care how she got there

Did people try and put you off? No everyone excepted it probably because of her unusual presenttion

Was your OB all for c section? Yes he said it was too risky to vb a breech baby especially with one foot up and one down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow girls thank you so much for your positive replies. It's just how I've always seen myself giving birth but who knows when it gets closer I may change my mind but I doubt it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had emergency c-section with DD4. My team were amazing, helpful & made the whole experience so exciting for us, like it was a party. We were about to meet our baby for the 1st time & they wanted us to be happy & not nervous. Amazing.

DD2 I decided on Elective as I wanted control over the situation. Even though I had a wonderful experience first time around, I had never set out to have a c-section. I was meant to go all natural, hypno birthing was going to see me right. But sometimes things don't go according to plan.
    I ended up going into labour the day of my Elective but it was abit risky to let it progress so I stuck with my 9am appointment:-)

Both recoveries were amazingly fast, no painkillers were required after the procedure. I bonded well with both my gorgeous girls & I've never, not for a second, felt that I missed out on anything.
    My babies are very healthy, very happy, very active & very cheeky

Chose what is right for you, your body & your baby.

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you regret it? Nope. My cs was elective due to the baby being breech. I am happy I have a wonderful son.

Is it what you always wanted? LOL! Definitely not! I deliberately skipped over the cs chapters in the pregnancy books because "I'm not having a cs!" LOL! I had to frantically raid the library for some books on cs in my last weeks!

Did people try to put you off? YES! I tried talking out my fears of a cs with other mothers, only to have these "you-have-a-right-to-choose" and "it-is your-body" pro-vaginal birthers jump down my throat. It took a while to shed my "embarassment" at having a cs.

Was your OB all for a cs? DS was born 3 days before my OB retired. He had seen it all. He just said to me, "In my experience, babies are breech for a reason. It is better to have a caesarean." And I shut up - he is the expert. He has been delivering babies from before when I was born.

The only "problem" I ever had with my cs was that a sterile theatre room wasn't the happy-loving-warm-calm-cheerful-huggy place that you see in the birthing documentaries. It was a bit of a shock when I was wheeled in there. But 2 years later I got to try my VBAC in a happy-loving-warm-calm-cheerful-huggy place. 59 hours of labour, 3 trips to the hospital, hours of helplessness and in the end I gave birth via vacuum in a theatre anyway! Haemorrhage, episiotomy, tearing and it took me twice as long to recover from the birth as a cs. Now which one do you think I prefer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an elective c-section due to my son being breech, I really wanted a VB, but more than that I wanted a safe delivery of my baby. Which I got with the c-section.

Do you regret it?
    Not at all, it was actually rather enjoyable. Following the op, it turned out I would've most likely have had to have an em. c-section if baby was up the right way anyway. So I'm glad I got to have the prepared, calm, enjoyable elective c-section over the anxious, emergency c-section.

Is it what you always wanted?
    Nope. Definitely not, abdominal surgery is a scary prospect... but so are VB complications.

Did people try and put you off?
    Yes, I got the 'too posh to push' and other negativity, but hospital insisted on a c-section and they know better than the opinionated few around me.

Was your OB all for c section?
    Yes, because baby was breech.

I'm having an elective c-section with this baby whether she is breech or not.

Due to a few factors, I have a high chance of ending up having an em. c-section and would prefer to have an elective over an em., since deciding that, I've found out I have SPD, so the list in favour is stacking up quickly, which is fine as I'm happy to have another c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh how I love the people who look at you with distaste as if you were 'too posh to push' or that you've failed as a woman by having a c/s.

Women can be so mean to other women!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose to have a C-section for my son.
    I pay over 3000 dollars a year for my private health insurance. One of the reason is to have choices (hosptials, doctors, elective surgeries, etc)
    Any ob who does not repect a patient's choice will not have my business. That's that simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you regret it?
    No! although i do feel a little bit like i have missed out on an experience (that of v/b). I think that is a dumb reason to do it if you are otherwise against it though.

Is it what you always wanted?
    Yes. i was so terrified by the thought of a v/b that i thought for a long time that i didnt want kids!

Did people try and put you off?
    Only my mum. i was lucky, but then i didnt tell many people. I still havent! My mum was only against it as she thought her v/b were the most amazing wonderful experiences ever and she didnt want me to miss out. She has 5 kids, the last two were naturally delivered twins! I think she has probably changed her mind now though, after seeing how wonderful and stress free my birthing experience was

Was your OB all for c section?
    No, he was all for whatever i wanted which is why i picked him

You mentioned that you might change your mind later on in pregnancy - i think this would be very easy to do! i was always very set on a c/s but as the birth got closer, hormones played havoc with my brain and made me think that a v/b wouldnt be that bad!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I regret mine and I am trying hard, years later to get over the fact that I was forced into having an elective c-section. I was 41 at the time and my baby was IVF. It was also at a private hospital and I guess they were just trying to protect themselves from anything possibly happening to me or my baby. I was fit and healthy at the time, but was told that my placenta was possibly laying too low and that my baby was big and could dislocate its shoulder coming out naturally. All this turned out to be rubbish. My placenta was fine and my baby was tiny - I could have done it naturally! I was scared and nervous about VB as alot of expectant mothers are and just blindly followed my Obs advice and I certainly didn't want to harm my baby in anyway. I recovered really well from the C-section but emotionally its been really hard on me and I have had no one to speak to about it. I feel that something was taken away from me as irrational as that sounds, even though I have a beautiful little girl who I love so much. I am now in my 40's and will never experience VB and I hope that anyone else who reads this and is going to have a baby trusts their own instincts, isn't pressured into doing something they don't want to do and finds the support they need. Best of luck.

Sarah