+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your elective c-section - Couple of Q's

Do you regret it?
    Is it what you always wanted?
    Did people try and put you off?
    Was your OB all for c section?

My OB is definately in favour of it but puts no pressure on me. I'm leaning more towards it as it is how I've always seen myself give birth.
    I'm not deciding 100% until time gets closer but like I said I'm leaning towards it.
    Why are people so negative about it? I don't see any negatives FOR ME with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you regret it? Absolutely not, it was a great experience & ill do it again

Is it what you always wanted? Nope

Did people try and put you off? Yes, but its my body, my baby, my experience & my choice. If they dont like c sections, then when THEY have a baby, they can do what they want. I wont try and stop them..

Was your OB all for c section? She was all for what I wanted. She never tried to push me either way.

I dont understand why people cant just stay out of other peoples birth choices. I would never tell someone how to birth THEIR baby, and i expect the same courtesy back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to missjess86 For This Useful Post:

MummyLip  (17-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didnt have elective c-section ended up with c-section after 24hrs of labour but....

Even when I was in my room getting ready for my c-section my Mum was still against it (she was annoyed we only called everyone to tell them we were in labour and so she wasnt really informed on why I was having c-section) but I didnt care I just wanted what was best for my baby and I

My OB did prefer c-section (he already said my baby was going to be big) but didnt pressure me into it

For me the c-section was really good, I had no issue with bonding with DS, no issue with feeding. I had set things I wanted like DS was not to be bathed untill I was there, no family to see the baby untill I had feed him etc.

Plus my scar is sooo tiny and as I dont have a vaginal birth to compare it to, I recovered fast and had not bladder issue like a few of my friends that had vaginal!

It was one of the best experience of my life - I got to hold our beautiful DS. I would like to do a VBAC next time but if I needed a c-section I wouldnt care!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a c/section and it was called an "elective" but it wasn't really iykwim. My twins were Twin A breech and Twin B head down. No ob would vag deliver twins like that - too risky and upwards of 30% chance of death of a baby. BUT I did find I had to - explain if you will. Like it wasn't good enough until I had explained the reason.

I am having an elective this time. I had a horrible traumatic VB with my first, when people hear about it then again its like my reasons are "valid". I have a strong feeling that if I just said "cause I feel like it" people would think I was being silly.

I didn't particularly like it - I'll be honest. But I liked my VB far less....so - unless there is another way to have a baby I guess I'll be having another one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I technically had an elective c-sect with DS. I was booked in but went into labour that day anyway. DS was in distress and so they pushed it forward by 4 hours but it was still considered elective. I don't regret it.

We are TTC #2. I have decided I want to try and go for a VBAC. I want to "experience" birth. I also think it will be heaps easier having a natural birth when I already have a toddler.

You need to decide what is best for you. No matter what choice you make, if it is one you are happy with then it is the right choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicajane86 View Post
    Do you regret it? Absolutely not, it was a great experience & ill do it again

Is it what you always wanted? Nope

Did people try and put you off? Yes, but its my body, my baby, my experience & my choice. If they dont like c sections, then when THEY have a baby, they can do what they want. I wont try and stop them..

Was your OB all for c section? She was all for what I wanted. She never tried to push me either way.

I dont understand why people cant just stay out of other peoples birth choices. I would never tell someone how to birth THEIR baby, and i expect the same courtesy back.
    I agree with this entire post.

I was probably coaxed into the c-section by my OB (large baby given as the reason) but I was happy to have one. For me the method of birth was never important. All I wanted at the end was a happy and healthy baby and me and that is what I got.

I had virtually no pain and was back to normal activities within a week.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

missjess86  (17-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a high risk pregnancy all along so I was prepared for the c/s. I don't regret it because it probably saved our lives.

In saying that I still grieve missing out on the natural birth experience and feel defensive of my 'choice' even though it was the right one for us.

My ob recommended the c/s option as the safest option but said it was my choice at the end of the day.

The recovery was extremely painful in the first week. Df's help and support was my saving grace. In my opinion I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't need it. However, it's a blessing if you do !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I regret my elective, I changed obs right at the end coz my obs husband was very sick at the time, I felt so pressured into it and as soon as the doc said " you should have a repeat c" my husband started saying it, my mum who has never had a vag birth started saying and I just felt like I had no one in my court and then aweful doc was going away 3 days after I was due and no body had told me who I was supposed to see after that, so I booked it in hubby took holidays so I felt like I had to have bop on that day, I spent the whole night before the section crying wishing someone would give me the ok not to have it..... That's my story there was nothing wrong with the section itself the whole thing was just an awful shamozzle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi,

Do you regret it?

No, not at all. My baby turned breech at 28 weeks and she didnt turn back. Ob booked me in for a c/section at about 32 weeks with view that we could cancel it if bub turned.

Is it what you always wanted?

No. To be honest I was petrified of having major abdominal surgery, particularly when I had a 2 y/o to look after as well. I had DD1 naturally and felt amazing afterwards immediately afterwards and I required no pain relief whatsoever(although it hurt like hell and I wasnt looking forward to going though labour again).

Did people try and put you off?

No. In fact in my real life I didnt have one person try and put me off. A few people said "oh try and avoid it, the recovery is awful" but no one really tried to talk me out of it. I have a few friends that have had c/sections, both emergency and planned and they all said that thier planned c/section was much better recovery wise than their emergency one.

Was your OB all for c section?

Definately because bub was breech and a bit bigger than my first baby.

My OB is definately in favour of it but puts no pressure on me. I'm leaning more towards it as it is how I've always seen myself give birth.
    I'm not deciding 100% until time gets closer but like I said I'm leaning towards it.

Why are people so negative about it? I don't see any negatives FOR ME with it?

One thing I thought would be weird was waking up on the day of my planned c/section knowing "hmm, I'm going to have a baby today" however that didnt happen as my waters broke early. I rang my Ob and she was away for the night, so another Ob told me to come into the hospital and they pretty much prepped me for surgery straight away. I found the whole experience to be really positive and uplifting. The theatre staff were fantastic and all introduced themselves when we got into theatre. The Ob talked me through what he was doing. DD was held up for DH and I to look at and then taken away for a minute to be suctioned as she had swallowed some poo . I had a midwife come into theater with me so bub was able to stay with me in recovery and she started feeding almost immediately. She is now 11 weeks old and she feeds like a little champion. I had no issues with my milk coming in and no issues with bonding. The recovery was a lot harder than the recovery from my vaginal birth. I did find it painful getting out of bed and getting around, but the pain was managed by panadol and voltaren. I took it really really easy for at least 4 weeks (I was lucky that my DH could take time off work and my Mum and MIL did loads of stuff around the house for us). After that I felt perfectly fine and was back doing everything as normal.

If I were to have another baby (which I am 99% sure I wont) I'd like to think that I'd try a VBAC, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure that I wouldnt opt for another c/section.

One other thing, I havent had anyone be negative towards me when I say that I had a c/section, but I do find myself saying "I had a c/section because bubs was breech". Maybe I feel the need to justify it. Not sure why that is .

Good luck with your decision. You make the one that is right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you regret it? Nope, not at all. I have just had my second - that's how little I regretted my first!

Is it what you always wanted? I think so, I never really thought about it too much before I fell pregnant with my DD, but once I fount out I was pregnant i looked into it more, and by week 14 I had already asked my OB.

Did people try and put you off? A few people did (but these were mainly people on the net, IRL it's not quite so much of a big deal), but as a PP mentioned it's my body and my babies, and I will birth them however I want.

Was your OB all for c section? Yeh, I explained to her that I had done my research and knew all the pros and cons, and would still like to go ahead and have an elective c/s.
    Last edited by second time mumma; 17-01-2011 at 23:13.