+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cervical Stitch .... anyone??

Hi,
    I recently had a 23wker due to my cervix opening painless and spontaneously and have been told that next pregnancy I will need a stitch. Has any one here had one? And if so did you make it past 30weeks?
    I am curious to how affective they are, and google has limited info on this topic. I am going to discuss it further with my OB but thought you guys may have some real life experiences to share.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Malu,

I had a 24 weeker DD, Layna. Although she would have been a 23 weeker but i was in hospital for a week with my legs in the air

I now have a 17 month old DS
    I needed to get a stitch in with DS to keep him in.
    I got it in at 13 weeks, it was valantines day of all days
    I bled a little bit at first but then it was fine althouh i could feel it there which was odd. And towards the end of my pregnancy I had to go on a weeks bedrest. Also, even though I had my stitch in all the ultrasounds I had showed that my cervix was still dialated on in the inside. I went 2 days off of my due date
    I started getting a few niggles and then I went down to the hosiptal and they took out my stitch while I was sucking down the gas Then my little monkey was born.

I remember what I was like before I got it in, so many questions and they were not answering them all or I would forgot to ask them when I went in. Feel free to ask me any questions you have

I just read your signature and realised how recently you lost your precious DS.
    I am so sorry for your loss *hugs*
    Last edited by Rileysmuma; 17-01-2011 at 07:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am interested in hearing about those who have had a stitch/cerclage. I had 25 weeker twins and will most likely have to have a stitch if I ever want to have another baby.

Malu I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my dd3 at 28 weeks due to incompetent cervix (from letz treatment for CIN 3) when I feel with my ds4 I saw my OB at 12 weeks to ask about a cerclage...he (in all in his infinite wisdom ) decided it wasn't necessary.
    At 23+5 week I had to go in for an emergency stitch, I also had my steroid shots...I managed to to get just over a week more and gave birth to my son at 25 weeks.
    I really feel I would have got a lot closer to full term if the stitch was done at 13-14 weeks....there is a high success rate for them
    I chatted on a incompetent cervix forum (google IC forum) and there where many ladies on there with very inspiration stories...many of them got to full term with a stitch and some bedrest.

Malu I am so sorry for you loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for that info, a little helps.

Rileysmuma, its terrific to see that you made it to term, but I thought they took the stitch out at 37wks? And what did they say when you where dilating still, or where they not worried as the stitch was in. Sorry for all the questions!

7rugrats thanks for the forum info it is very helpful

If anyone else has any stories/info that would be great. I know for me getting a stitich is a while away given im not prego but I dont want what happened to Thomas to happen again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there, Sorry for your loss
    I had a cerclage placed at 14 weeks after a previous mid trimester loss.

At my 12 week NT Scan they did an internal U/S to measure the cervix length, and decided that because it was shorter than 2.5cm that I would definitely need a stitch. The procedure only took about 20 minutes under a GA, but I had to stay overnight due to the anaesthetic. I basically lived a normal life, though no heavy lifting, no baths/ swimming and no sex.

Like other posters, at a 24 week internal ultrasound, my cervix was funnelled to the stitch, so essentially it was the only thing holding her in. The ultrasound tech sent me up to the hospital and they discussed whether I needed to be admitted, but that stitch was holding tight. I was instructed to take it a little easier just to make sure that the stitch would hold.

I had the stitch removed at 38 weeks, and dilated 3 cm immediately, but held DD in for another 3 weeks, going into labour at nearly 41 weeks.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions

7. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

Malu  (19-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Malu-

When I got the stitch in they told me they would take it out at 37 weeks but becuase my cervix had funneld they decided to wait until I started having early contractions. It didnt really bother me that much the only problem with doing it that way is if you cant get to the hospital so some reason or another your cervix may tear, but as DS was my only child at home I didnt have a reason why i wouldnt be able to get there. Next time Ill be getting it out at 37 weeks.

I have heard that if you get the stitch in earlier you have a greater chance of going full term or close to it. They tried to put in an emargency stitch with my DD but it didnt work in time.

You can ask as many questions as you like hun I dont mind.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rileysmuma For This Useful Post:

Malu  (19-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for this thread!

I had a 22weeker 3 years ago, so was determined to get a stitch this time around..since it's happening in under 2 weeks, I'm kinda like .

It is so good to see the other stories of the preventative stitch working. I now have a lot of hope.

Good luck to the other ladies going through this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi missmoody
    I had to come on and reply and let you now we will be stitch buddies lol. I'm getting mine in on the 15th this is my second stitch not including the failed attempt with dd.

If you get nervous or have any questions feel free to message me

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Bubhub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rileysmuma For This Useful Post:

missmoody  (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

If you want to do some research the forums that a PP suggested is great for advice and to read what other women have gone through. IC Forums is the website. There are also some great groups on Facebook.

I had 2 second trimester losses and had a stitch put in for my current pregnancy at 14 weeks, like a PP said, the earlier the better.

I am now 28 weeks, however my stitch has "migrated" down the cervix and has essentially come undone. It is really offering no support at all, and we are just waiting to see what happens.

I didn't realise how common failure of the TVC can be (Trans vaginal cerclage) until i had it happen to me and i looked into how often it does actually fail. I then found out about the TAC ( Trans abdominal cerclage) and this seems to have a better success rate. It is worth doing some research into.

If i were to have more children i would go down the route of the TAC.

Good luck, the procedure isn't bad, slightly uncomfortable, and i went home within 4 hours of the placement. I took it easy for a week afterwards. I had no real side effects, there was some cramping/uncomfortable feeling for a week or so, then it settled. I do get increased discharge with it in, but that is normal.

Kirsty