+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Blacktown Birth Centre

Hi,

I'm in my 5th week and have an appointment to see doctor next week, but I'm keen to get myself booked in at Blacktown Hospital Birth Centre. I tried to call yesterday but once transferred no one answered phone >:
    Does anyone know if I need a referral, or have to go through the antenatal clinic to book in? Does anyone know if it's hard to get a place at the birth centre?

Thanks in advance.

Update: I managed to get through to someone at the Birth Centre at Blacktown. They put my name down even through I'm 'out of area' and I was told I'll get a letter with an appointment date. I still feel like they could bump me from the list though because it's not my closest hospital. Anyone know about this?

In case others are interested, the midwife i spoke with said that through the public system there is also what's called 'case-load delivery' where you get the same midwife for antenatal, birth and post natal care. She said you don't wait at the antenatal clinic like eeryone else; they work in a team of four and if you usual midwife is unavailable you'd see another in the team. She said they have this system available at Blacktown and Nepean (and I suppose other places). I'm closer to Nepean so I'd look into it there. She said that they use any room available in the hospital for the birth, and it could be a birth centre room (if available at that particular hospital).

Has anyone gone this route?
    Last edited by Seraphina82; 13-01-2011 at 09:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi seraphina,
    Hows your pregnancy progressing?
    Just wondering if you needed a referral to go blacktown birth centre and what the costs are like?
    Do they do tours of the birth centre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jellybeans,
    Congrats on your pregnancy! My preg is going very well, thank you I actually cancelled my booking at Blacktown Birth Centre because one of the midwives there suggested when i made the booking that I consider the caseload midwifery service either at Blacktown or Nepean (which is closer for me). So I booked in for caseload at Nepean and so far it's been great. With the Blacktown Birth Centre, I realised after reading about other ppl's experiences that even though the philosophy of the birth centre is great you have no guarantee of getting the midwife you know and the midwives who work on the delivery ward also work in the birth centre so that philosophy you may expect to go with a birth centre may not always carry over with the staff. If the few birth centre rooms are full when you go in you just end up in the delivery delivery ward. That is what I have read on various forums.

So I'm on Caseload at Nepean. It's a good women centred option because you get your own midwife (or one of her team if she's at another birth, which hasn't happened to me yet) for everything: antenatal, labour, birth and post natal. They use any available room in the hospital when you go in at labour so could get own room, birth centre room etc. I heard there's a birth centre at nepean that goes unused but I do wonder if the caseload MWs might use it...

I think blacktown has a caseload service too. For whatever service you choose at public you just need a gp or other doc's referral, then just ring up to make the appointment asap (books out quick for caseload). You can do tours. In terms of cost, your care should be entirely free whatever public option you choose. They ask for your Medicare card. This is probably way too much info but pls feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything about my experience so far

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans & ChocChips View Post
    Hi seraphina,
    Hows your pregnancy progressing?
    Just wondering if you needed a referral to go blacktown birth centre and what the costs are like?
    Do they do tours of the birth centre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to let you know blacktowns birth centre is just two slightly bigger rooms in the normal delivery suit with the same staff looking after you. Nepean does have a great seperate birth centre but it has never been used due to inadequate funding. In south Sydney you can have a home birth via the public system but here in western Sydney we don't even have I proper birth centre to practice natural birth in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I am very keen to check out caseload midwifery. Can I just call Blacktown hospital to get the details? I'm due 30 October 2012 and have never given birth in Aus before, so I have no clue what to do!

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cuddlz View Post
    Hi there

I am very keen to check out caseload midwifery. Can I just call Blacktown hospital to get the details? I'm due 30 October 2012 and have never given birth in Aus before, so I have no clue what to do!

Thanks so much!

Hi, congrats on your pregnancy! Usually you just get a referral from your GP and call the hospital and ask to be put through to antenatal bookings. Sometimes the'll let you book in as long as you will have the referral by theyour first antenatal to take in with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cuddlez As mentioned in seraphina's post, u generally get a referral from your GP and book in with the Antenatal clinic. Their phone number is 98818352.All the bestJBCC
    Last edited by Jellybeans & ChocChips; 26-02-2012 at 07:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think this is a brilliant option, not because the midwives are bad but because they still have to operate under the guidelines of the 'system' and ultimately OBs get the ultimate say-- veer off Friedman's Curve, for instance, and you are going to be pushed into a section.

Homebirth with a truly independent midwife is a much gentler option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input ladies.

I have booked in with the Antenatal clinic and so far so good. Everything has run smoothly. She said I only need to come in at 14 weeks, but I have to go get blood tests done with my GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HG98 View Post
    I don't think this is a brilliant option, not because the midwives are bad but because they still have to operate under the guidelines of the 'system' and ultimately OBs get the ultimate say-- veer off Friedman's Curve, for instance, and you are going to be pushed into a section.

Homebirth with a truly independent midwife is a much gentler option.
    I know ladies who had caseload midwives bend the rules but yes, the Obs rule the show. I think a home birth would be the best thing. I want one next time because all I wanted to do in my labour was complete it at home! Turned out my baby was undetected breech, which is also a good argument for being checked by more than one person during your pregnancy but that's a whole other story....
    Last edited by Seraphina82; 27-02-2012 at 22:46.