Where are all the Stay at Home Dads? | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic...oestrogen whipped. Man, I'm looking forward to tuckshop time too.

I'm sure you're enjoying hanging out with the oestrogen equipped people as much as I do. Some time ago after our playgroup had been running for a while, all the girls, all seven of them left me to wrangle the kids while they all left and went to order their coffee and carrot cake. I was sitting on the floor with seven wriggling bags of potatoes all hell bent in going a different direction. Now I found that a huge, monumental leap of faith on their part...and a great honour that they considered me worthy of ensuring the safety of their precious little ruggies. A few minutes later the mums came back and they had ordered coffee and cake for me too. How good was that?

I only work 2 day shifts out of eight, so I hope that classifies me as a SAHD...more or less. OK, what about a Part SAHD? ...PSAHD...Yeah, that will work.

They may talk more about feelings, relationships and pendulous breasts a little more than I care for, but that's what the majority like there. We also talk about the latest footy results, gapping their plugs and snaking the toilet too. Don't forget, the girls enjoy footy almost as much as we do. They just don't quite live and breathe it the way we do.

So would I go out actively seeking a men only group? No I wouldn't. I would actively seek out a group that fulfils my needs at the time, and right now we get a few dads along when they aren't working and I get to have a great natter with them and we enjoy it. But for the majority of the time, its a few baby girls, a few baby boys, the mums and me. It makes me feel like a big Silverback taking care of my family group.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
    SA
    Last edited by Paul64; 01-06-2011 at 14:39. Reason: spelling...as usual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

I work for Playgroup Australia, and so the BubHub administrator brought this conversation to my attention. I thought you might all be interested in some Playgroup information for Dads.

Firstly, there are lots of Playgroups out there that welcome both Mums and Dads. It's quite common for people to try a number of different Playgroups until they find the right mix of people, dates, times and venues that suit them. To find an existing Playgroup in your local area (exclusively Dads or otherwise), phone your state or territory Playgroup Association on free call 1800 171 882. Some states also have an online search facility where you can find Playgroups by postcode - visit http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au and click on your home state to start.

The next option if you can't find a Playgroup that you like is to start your own! Again, your state or territory Playgroup Association can help out with everything you need to know to get started, and you might also be eligible to access funding as a Supported Playgroup. You'll find a great step-by-step guide to starting a Playgroup here http://www.joinaplaygroup.com.au/StartaPlaygroup.aspx

We always say that Playgroups are for the parents as much as the kids - a place to meet new people at a similar stage in their lives and build those important support connections, particularly when you're new to the area. If you think Playgroups could be doing more for stay at home Dads, we'd love to hear from you. Have your say in our Facebook poll at http://www.facebook.com/playgroupaustralia, or email us at info@playgroupaustralia.com.au.

Go Dads!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to add that a few people here seem to think I haven't tried different things to socialize my son. I am not just seeking Men only groups although that is preferred.
    I've gone to many different groups and centre's based in the Western suburbs of Melbourne. Even tried meeting a couple of people from the forums who were no shows.
    I have however managed to get My son into a playgroup which is only 1x45min session per week. I guess that's better than nothing.
    The only groups I have been able to find within 30 minutes of here aside from the one we are attending are for non english speaking, special needs or young Mums...
    ALL of the others have either said that they are booked out or they have said Males were not welcome! At least the later were honest.

I don't know what area you other Blokes are from or what ages your children are but we dont have tuck-shops down here unless your at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it does sound like you have a genuine problem here Roofy. Now this has worked for me in the past, it works for some but may not work for all.

Try sticking your nose into your local community centre and asking just what is available. You may be surprised with the answer you receive. If they don't have anything suitable...yet...put your name down and make yourself the contact for a new group that you can form for parents of little ones of the age you're involved with. If a group doesn't exist, start your own. Ask the centre if they can maintain a list of interested parents for you and make yourself the point of first contact for other interested likeminded parents. It may involved a few phone calls early on but it could just work out too.

Hey, it's just an idea. Give it a go. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers and kindest regards
    Paul
    SA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul64 For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Just wanted to know where this centre is. Mine are a bit young for playgroup yet, but I'm doing my research early so I know what I'm doing. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellalika View Post
    Roofless, move to Eastern Melbourne. There is a full Dad's Only Playgroup at our centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub