Where are all the Stay at Home Dads? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fair enough. BIL is moving to Hoppers Crossing for that reason. Depends where you work too if it is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Swimming!
    I'm only mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    totally agree i went to a few mothers group meetings with my daughter and they were happy at first but then they didnt like it.

Id love for a dads group but there just isnt enough sahd and the dads that work seem to have attitude that your lower than them.

The sahd is a growing area and they need to give it a little more attention now

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Delahey SAHD wants to start a play group

Hi Dad's Im 29 and I have 2 boys aged 2 and 4. I took on the SAHD role just before our youngest son was born. We moved to Melbourne's North West last year from Qld and we don't know anyone!

I put the boys into daycare one day a week just for them to interact with other children but unfortunately that's where it has stayed. I haven't found I've been able to meet any of the other parents rushing home from work so my kid's haven't made any friends they can see outside of daycare.

My partner is a prep teacher and I teach drum kit after hours when she returns from work to take over the kids...it is a great arrangement but we lack any social network with other parents of young kids. Anyone please feel free to contact me if you'd like to get the kids together in a park for a play or unofficial play group. I've found my interactions with people in my field of music have always had a negative reaction when I've told them I'm a SAHD. Come on dad's break the mold and get in touch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bellalika

Just saw your post about a Dad's playgroup at your centre. What centre is that?

Thanks sj

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Grant

My name is Sarah-Jane - I'm a filmmaker based in Melbourne. I'm developing a documentary about stay at home Dads and would love to speak to you about your experiences. Can I get in touch with you via email? My contact is sj@nancyvaudeville.tv

I'm actually an ex QLDer now in Melbourne too. I have a 7 month old girl - She might not be up to playing with your boys just yet

thanks and hope to hear from you. cheers sj

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ___
    Last edited by bellalika; 01-06-2011 at 17:36.

BH-bigbadbrad is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    BubHubby - Proud in Pink
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sarah Jane,

The Bub Hub helps lots of people source parents for relevant research please post your request in the Research Help section

Regards
    BBB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there guys and girlies

What an interesting subject we've got ourselves onto....and a very relevant one also.

Now I reckon I've got the best of both worlds here. Yeah, I know, we've heard that before, but I really do think I've hit the balance between 'man time' and touchy feely girl time. Here it is.

I'm a shift worker. I do four days on then four days off. Yes, that's 50/50 work, not at work. At work I get to talk with my workmates about absolutely everything and anything we need to talk about in regard to raising our kids, relationships, wives, sport, weather, sport, cars, sport OK, you get it...whatever.
    Yes, we're a pretty liberated group around here. And of course, I also get 'man time' at the same time. Sometimes we even enjoy a cleansing ale after the shift is finished.

Now, on my days off, one day a week I take my 10 month old DD to swimming where I hang out in the baby pool and talk about breast feeding with the mums and their kids, even though I don't have breasts, I know what breasts are and what they can be used for. We also talk about settling, sleeping, teething, toys, good cafes where kids are welcome, playtime, car seats, booster seats, nappies, sex (when,how...), clothes for kids, baby wipes, babysitters, birth experiences, ... need I go on?

Look, the point is, if you're struggling to find 'man time' groups because they are thin on the ground, just involve yourselves in whatever group is going. I have and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm a little stunned by how quickly I was accepted and the scary things these woman talk about while I'm there, but that's cool. I have a strong stomach.

Now, I must go cos I need to get the baby bag organised for tomorrow mornings play date at the kid friendly play cafe. Coffee and cake.....Mmmmmmmmm cake.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
    SA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul64 For This Useful Post:

Roofless  (07-06-2012)

BH-bigbadbrad is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    BubHubby - Proud in Pink
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with Paul,

Working from home means I get to do swim lessons, school pick ups and even tuckshop. So I am often feeling a little Oestrogen whipped but once you break the ice it is all good! Support is support no matter what gender you get it from.

I am investigating ways to get more men involved in the forum and more resources for Dads generally. In the meantime I found Playgroup was very accepting of me and Dads in general.

Also have to say that SAHDs are likely to become more prevelant, by no means the majority, but I personally feel that many SAHD are a litte shy about coming forward because many people (who are generally insecure and clueless) might belittle them.

I say bringing up your kids is the MOST important job in the world. Be Proud!

All the best
    BBB