+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't remember being told ANYTHING at all about pain relief.
    I did all my own research. Funny thing though was that I didn't research pain-relief free birth.
    However I stayed home till I was 8cm dilated after 3 full days of full on contraction. Kept waiting for the 3 minute gap between contractions which was never going to happen!!!
    I was so exhausted after 3 days I got barely stand. I hadn't eaten and anything ud drank was vomited from the pain.
    I had to have pain relief to give my body a break and because I had a gut feeling something wod go wrong and I didn't want a ga. Boy was I right.
    Pain relief isn't just about getting rid of the pain. After my epi I was emotionally able to deal with the birth that I was about to face.
    I urge everyone to be fully informed of all options. So they are prepared for any situation that may arise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I researched the heck out of all my options. And I decided to aim for a drug and intervention-free birth. I didn't like the risks and effects that could have occurred for me and my baby. But, I didn't go into it just hoping I would be able to cope, I did a calmbirth course and did bucket loads of research on ways to cope with the pain. I had an amazing birth and I credit that to calmbirth training, having an amazing birth partner as well as having a very high pain threshold. I did end up having to go to theatre to have my tear repaired and so I had to chose between a general and a spinal block. I was very glad that I was informed before hand - although the anaesthetist informed me at the time, I just wanted them to get it over with so I could get back to my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't know anything about the effects of Synto. :-/

I knew gas was reasonably safe, that pethadine was not 'as-safe', and that an epidural could make a natural delivery (without suction/forceps/episiotomy) difficult

Thanks
    Reviews
    I knew that gas was pretty safe, pethadine was not as safe but they could reverse the effects and epidural was the next step up I knew nothing about synto or the cascade of intervention with my ds with dd I was very informed and she was a speedy relaxed surprise freebirth. I do think hospitals NEED to step up and make sure patients are more informed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think so. I went to the antenatal classes, asked lots of questions of midwives and spoke to the aneasthetist and they gave me some info to read over. I think they handled it very well.
    I had an epi for a few reasons and for me it worked out very well. I didnt get any of the negative side effects some people might, nor did DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Spin Off: Did you know the dangers of drugs in labor

I was informed. We spoke about it a lot in antenatal classes, the midwives made sure we understood the risks and explained options like tens machines, heat, massage etc and gave us info on calmbirth teachers in our area.

I ended up having an epi after over 24hrs of labour including 12hrs of full on back to back contractions and being only 3cm! I hadn't slept in days and was exhausted. The epi let me relax and rest a little which got things moving. They talked through the risks again with DH and I (mostly DH as I was otherwise occupied!) before doing the epi.

I was hoping not to have an epi and decided no peth, i didn't like the idea of it. The middie really encouraged me to move around and try to avoid drugs so I was well supported. I did use gas on and off during that intense 12hr period, I think it was on pretty low and the focus it gave me on breathing is what helped the most.

Things didn't go as well as I'd hoped, it had nothing to do with not being informed. In fact, I think the whole experience could have been quite traumatic if I hadn't been well informed about pain relief and instrumental delivery.

I had a gall stone attack 12 hours after she was born and believe me I was begging for all the drugs they could pump into me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who say they didnt know anything - did you go to the antenatal classes? It was discussed in detail for us there. I did a lot of reading as well. I opted to have an epi and was given an info booklet and the anaesthetist talked to me about it too. I guess our hospital just handled it really well but Im suprised others werent informed nearly as well!

ETA: Ive also come across a lot of internet mis-information, where people pull information off American websites and freak out, but it isnt actually the same drugs and techniques that are used here. So its worth actually checking with your hospital which drugs they do use
    Last edited by soccer mum; 30-11-2012 at 16:28.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    This is a very valid and important question but I think there is an equally big or if not bigger question - were you given information about the possible risks of interventions, especially pharmaceutical induction?

I attended the ante-natal classes when preg with DS and we had a class about pharmaceutical pain relief (as well as one about 'natural' pain relief) but there was no discussion about intervention and risks which is really bizarre given the high level of interventions of first time mothers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was educated on the down side of drugs during labor. The dr went though all the options and what the down fall was of each one and the risks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I accepted a pethidine shot to birth the placenta (after a drug free birth including forceps) cus all the ob said was 'it will be quicker with a light sting in your leg'. Was not informed of any other risks or that it wouldn't take THAT long to come on its own given the time I had already been in labour anyways ...

All pros/cons should be put on the table in my opinion ... Not that it woul Change everyone's mind, but because it's a professionals job to do so