+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    With DD, no. Not at one GP's appointment or one hospital appointment was I made aware of informed about any sort of available pain relief. In fact nothing was ever said or heard about what sort of birth I wanted Thanks a lot, Logan Hospital (idiots). I ended up having no pain relief and had a VB. I had Pethidine AFTER she was born just like I had an epidural AFTER she was born in preparation for my placenta to be surgically removed.

With DS, yes. I was fully informed (several times by several different people) about the drugs I'd be having before, during and after my elective CS. I felt educated and confident during the entire pregnancy and birth
    Your story just helped confirm the reason I DON"T want to go to that hospital. Did you go to a different hopital for your DS or just get better drs/midwives?? Sorry to get off topic just interested to know. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean86 View Post
    Your story just helped confirm the reason I DON"T want to go to that hospital. Did you go to a different hopital for your DS or just get better drs/midwives?? Sorry to get off topic just interested to know. Thanks
    Oh hell yes I went to a different hospital ...I will never, ever go back to the Logan for anything to do with maternal care. I don't have one positive thing to say about it.

I went to a private hospital to have DS. My OB was a total sweetheart and I looked forward to seeing him for my appointments, the midwives and doctors were just amazing, the hospital was beautiful......the whole experience there was just blissful. Obviously going private was more expensive that chancing it at the 2 local public hospitals near me, but it was money well spent as it ensured both DS and I were safe during and after the birth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

jellybean86  (02-01-2011)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No not really, the most research i done was read "What to expect when expecting"

I knew that it could cause a few problems, but I didn't think it was a huge deal. It was only afterwards that I realised the damage it can do to both mother and baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With DD1 I had a good discussion with the widwifes due to the fact I cant have any Opiates (no morpine or pethadine) so the decicion was made that less intervention was the best was. Luckily I love labour and birth easily so needed no pain relief. DD2 I had a shocking OB who was a control freak and wanted as much intervention as possible. I refussed. other than the drip to get labour started nothing else was needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to the hospital classes where there was quite a bit about drugs for pain relief. They were very clear that the woman has to ask for it (rather than it being offered) and that was what happened on the day. But didn't really talk about side effects for mother or child.

I had an epi and I believe it was due to the fact that I went to the hospital too early. I had + strep B and was told I needed to go as soon as possible to get the antibiotics drip in. It turned out that my waters had not broken ... it was my first labour so how was I to know?? but since I was already there the clock started ticking, they suggested ARM, lead to poor positioning of DS, lead to uncontrolled pushing, lead to bulging cervix that wasn't dilated enough which lead to me asking for the epi.
    I will say that I needed the epi and I am glad that it was available to me but I was disappointed because I think it could have been avoided.

Next time, i will be staying home as long as possible.

I found it difficult that there was a considerable time delay between me asking for and getting the epi. To make things worse, it was not put in properly (it only worked on one side) and so after an hour he took it out and re-did it. That upset me too.

In terms of being given information when it was all happening, I was beside myself with pain and would have agreed to anything. The doc said that one of the side effects could be parlysis and I remember thinking that I would be happy never to walk again if he would just hurry up and give me the drugs!!

So to answer your question - I think I should have been more informed about the whole process, not just the effects of the drugs.

Sorry for the essay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Was told the risks at one of my final exams, during the early stages of labour and had prior researched them myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I knew because I researched the information myself. My GP just glossed over the information really. Antenatal class didn't go into enough detail. By the time I had done my own research I knew I was aiming to go drug-free (so both baby and I wouldn't feel groggy).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes I was by my OB, midwives. I have always been well informed with all my 5 births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes i knew the risks, i read books and was very well informed. So when the time came where it was suggested after 24hours of hard labour that i have some pain medication, i chose to go straight for an epidural over all the others. I was also made aware of all the possible side affects of the epidural by the anesthetist, everything from the possible epidural headache, low blood pressure, the shakes, paralysis, permanent pain in the epidural site.
    So yes i made a well informed decision when i chose to take pain medication during my labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd read a little bit on the risks and decided I didn't want any drugs during labour. After not sleeping for about 3 days due to back pain during pre-labour, a fractured coxyc bone, anal fissures, hours and hours of pushing I just wanted it to stop. I had pethidine because the anaethatist was busy and that didn't do anything at all so eventually I had an epidural.

My DS was born with poor sucking reflex (terrible actually) but I'd take that any day compared to the pain. If I have another posterior labour I will be asking for drugs from the get-go. I'm more afraid of the pain than a 'cascade of intervention' TBH I never, ever, ever want to experience that again, especially the pushing from 7 am to midday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast