+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    Del - the problem here as I see it is not whether or not people take pain relief .... that's an individual decision based on lots of things.

The issue is - are we as birthing women being given the information about the risks of the pain relief offered BEFORE we have to choose? If you are giving birth and are offered pain releif - is it an informed decision that you are making on whether to take drugs and what kind to have?

If you know the risks, and need the pain relief anyway - thats no problems. That's what these drugs are available for.

My issue is where pain relief is offered without actually informing the patient (before labour starts) about the risks associated with each type. It should be done as part of the hospital admission/booking at the very least.
    Well then I wholeheartedly agree with you KM. I DO think women should be informed before they birth. That's why I attempt to highlight the risks of c/s. I think a lot of first time mums see it as the 'easy' option when it most certainly isn't. What they do with that info and if they still chose a c/s knowing the risks, well then that's none of my business and I feel it's a win.

So yes, ITA with you. My issue lies with judging women who use meds as being sooks who don't care about the effect on the baby (although that word hasn't been used that can be the vibe)
    Last edited by delirium; 02-01-2011 at 12:34. Reason: typo

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't attend antenatal classes and wasn't really told anything during labour, apart from when I did ask for pain relief and was refused as I was 9cm dilated.
    I did my reading beforehand and I'm so glad I had a natural birth!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    the brief research I have done shows that the risks (especially any risks or effects on the baby) are quite glossed over .....

here is a good article about risks of an epi though.

I especially like the conclusion

The childbirth educator's duty is to inform, not to talk women into or out of using an epidural. Many women will choose an epidural, when well informed of benefits, risks and alternatives; others will choose to avoid it if their labor allows.

When women are well informed, they will consider the information, along with other factors - such as their fears, self-perceptions, their goals for their birth experiences, their support system - and make the most suitable decision.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (03-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My issue lies with judging women who use meds as being sooks who don't care about the effect on the baby (although that word hasn't been used that can be the vibe)
    Yes, but that isn't what this thread is about... let's try to stay on topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I knew the risks with my epi but naïvely knew nothing about having morphine whilst BFing. DD was a booby monster though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
    Yes, but that isn't what this thread is about... let's try to stay on topic
    Thanks for pointing that out for me, I did think my post bar that one sentence was on topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 - No
    DD2 and DD3 - I researched everything determined they would not be like my first labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I knew what the problems could be with drugs and originally said no to the midwife who suggested it, FOB and the midwife had a long discussion about the risks and benefits (I couldn't really talk at that stage) and in the end I chose to have the peth and I was EXTREMELY glad I did. I wasn't coping with the labour (posterior) and with the news that I still had a loooooong way to go, and I truly believe without the peth to help me get through it I would have just given up and things would have gone really badly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was very ignorant with my first and, like many, TRUSTED the medical profession would inform me if there were any real dangers.

I had an epi with DS1, but after joining a mother's group and discussing many a thing about drugs & side-effects, my next 2 labours were completely drug free.

Information WILL give you the strength to go drug free if your situation allows!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DD, no. Not at one GP's appointment or one hospital appointment was I made aware of informed about any sort of available pain relief. In fact nothing was ever said or heard about what sort of birth I wanted Thanks a lot, Logan Hospital (idiots). I ended up having no pain relief and had a VB. I had Pethidine AFTER she was born just like I had an epidural AFTER she was born in preparation for my placenta to be surgically removed.

With DS, yes. I was fully informed (several times by several different people) about the drugs I'd be having before, during and after my elective CS. I felt educated and confident during the entire pregnancy and birth