+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my first, I only knew the basics which was more about the risks to me than the baby. I ended up having an epi.

With my second, I was fully informed. I knew everything there was to know about the risks and I BEGGED them for an epi but my labour was too quick to get one.

With this one, I still know the risks but I am going to take it as it comes. I am hoping to go drug free again because I felt better after my second birth but I am not dismissing the idea either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't given birth yet, but I think I've become pretty well informed about the risks and benefits of medical intervention during labour... by my calmbirthing teacher, my doula and my own research. My OB's total input on the matter was "You can have gas, pethidine, morphine or an epidural. Or some people get by with heat packs and hot showers". Nothing has been said by him about medical risks to me or the baby. He was the one who told me about calmbirth, though, so I guess I shouldn't be too harsh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not really, no. In particular the effects on the baby, excluding the effects of pethidine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a doula..went to a natural birthing centre, hospital ante-natal classes, talked to lots of people about their births, and did as much as possible to be informed.

None of that made any difference as I had a birth with high intervention leading to a c-section...but IMO the hospital let me make the choices that were right for me and my baby. The midwives and OBs gave me time to see how things would go. My initial midwife told me she was beyond shocked to still see me labouring for days, but they didn't completely hi-jack the process at all. The OBs cried when they told me I had to have a c-section, and over the next 5 hours did everything possible to birth DD naturally. I didn't care, by that point I just wanted to hold my baby.

My heart breaks for women who feel like their choices were taken away. This is what needs to change..not the choices, but the disempowerment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I asked several times and was told that any risks were minimal and not to be concerned. It was all brushed over.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (02-01-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, not with DS1 I didn't, I wanted a drug free birth and naively thought that my CP would educate me of the risks when offering me choices they didn't and I ended up with an emotionally traumatic birth.

With DS2 I had learn't my lesson, you can't rely on anyone to educate you when it comes to making such personal choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    More or less. I knew enough that I knew I didn't want to take drugs if I could have avoided it. I didnt know all the specifics of different pain relief but wanted to avoid putting it into my body.

But on the other hand I wound up having several different things and jasper was born alert and healthy. So. It all worked out in the end I suppose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes I knew the risks. It all became moot anyway as I ended up with 2 c/s for breech But I had morphine in a drip with DD, the one you pressed a little button for. I didn't take much, not bc I wanted to be a hero but bc I worried about it going into my milk.

With DS I had no morphine, just a few digesic (similar to forte). Again I was worried about it getting thru my milk.

The thing is, just bc some people use pain relief doesn't mean they weren't informed. It means the pain got to a point where they couldn't cope anymore. I'll never have a VBAC but if I did I would go in trying to do it natural but keep in mind that it would be ok if I had to have pain relief.

While I do believe there are risks, some people are comparing the risk vs a woman who can handle the pain - so it's clear there's more risk to taking pain meds than not. But it's more complex than that. Compare drugs vs a woman who is screaming in pain begging for drugs and risking future birth trauma. That cost/risk analysis changes a lot. That's the important bit to note.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

mousky  (12-08-2012)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Del - the problem here as I see it is not whether or not people take pain relief .... that's an individual decision based on lots of things.

The issue is - are we as birthing women being given the information about the risks of the pain relief offered BEFORE we have to choose? If you are giving birth and are offered pain releif - is it an informed decision that you are making on whether to take drugs and what kind to have?

If you know the risks, and need the pain relief anyway - thats no problems. That's what these drugs are available for.

My issue is where pain relief is offered without actually informing the patient (before labour starts) about the risks associated with each type. It should be done as part of the hospital admission/booking at the very least.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

7rugrats  (02-01-2011),meatpopsicle  (02-01-2011)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree KatiesMum. I hear a lot of blame being placed on women who didn't educate themselves... I suppose I could fall into this category. BUt I wasn't an expert, I was trusting that the hospy would provide me with the dangers. When I was induced, I asked about the risks and it was brushed off... If I had of known the truth about it there is no way I would have allowed it to happen.