+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well thank God I found this thread!!,

Just reading through everyone's stories here, I know I'm in the right place. I was diagnosed with autoimmune deficiency anticardio lipins about 3 years ago after having my 4th mc. Had to go to a private fertility clinic for simple blood test and it showed up. Turns out when results came back I was about 2 weeks pregnant so they started me on baby aspirin, predisolone steroid tablet heparin injections twice a day, gestone injection once a day, progesterone pessaries once a day along with folic acid tablet, vitamin B12 tablet too! I was a walking pharmacist for the first 12 weeks but it all worked and we had our precious baby girl in March 2009. This all happened in Ireland and we have since moved to Brisbane permanently and we're now ttc No. 2.

Went to Fertility Dr in city last week who has started me on aspirin and predisolone steroid tablets now. Not too happy taking steroids so early as have awful side effects on me and I balloon up and I look like a 13 year old with chronic acne but if it helps us get our No. 2 isn't it all worth it???

So a just so happy to have found a place to share, rant, vent whatever we need to do where we all understand what each one of us is going through!

Can I ask if any of you who have that all important bfp, are you going public or private for your prenatal care??
    Thanks girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome Tina
    I hope you managed to escape the floods in Brissie!
    Wow thats a lot of drugs to get your DD... but worth it of course !
    I am very new to clotting disorders, in fact I don't even have my results yet (5 more sleeps!) but wanted to ask why you are on steriods to conceive? I am about to TTC ( if doc gives us the all clear on Monday) but because my 1st was stillborn, I am seeing a Prof OB for 'conception counselling' where I have the tests, then TTC under his care, and he follows me right through to being my delivering OB. It is private billing care, but I will be a patient in the public hospital, as it has the best NICU, and I'm now too high risk for any other hospital. So my private health fund will cover hospital fees, but we fork out for the OB...its going to cost us about $5000 if we get preg quickly.
    with TTC, and its great to hear that you have been able to have a healthy baby with the right meds and care, very encouraging.

Emzy- I hope the results and doc visits haven't left you feeling lost, I am nervous about getting my results, I would prefer a defined problem in some ways, so we can tackle it head on.... would they put you on low dose aspirin anyway? Would it do any harm to reduce the risk of clotting that way while TTC? Take care xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey PA80

Thanks for the welcome!!

Have to take the steroids as it surpresses my immune system therefore my body won't reject the foetus immediately as it won't see it as a threat and smother it with my high levels of anticardiolipins (or so they tell me)!

Am so sorry to hear your story. It must have been horrific for you at the time and I'm sure it still is. Fingers crossed Doc gives you all clear on Monday. I was monitored by private consultant from start to finish last time but to be honest once I came off all the meds fully at 20 weeks it was plain sailing. We don't have private med cover here so are going to pay for consultancy fees and meds til 12 weeks are up and transfer over to public but just pay for additional fortnightly scans til the 20 wk mark. Nervous about ttc again and just hopenthat we can fall preg as easily as we did on all our others. Am 38 this year and don't want to wait any longer!!

Tina
    Last edited by Elliemaysmama; 02-02-2011 at 21:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

Had a nice anniversary dinner. The next night we went to the Sting concert and it was s**te!! They oversold the tickets and we couldn't see or hear a thing
    Getting our money back!!

Windupbird: It sucks not being able to fly. I've decided if no BFP this month I'm going to give tcc a rest for a couple of months so I can go see my mum in NZ. Yeah can she come to you? Doesn't matter how old you are you still need your mum.

Luvabubba: Great new about seeing your bub with a heartbeat. Beautiful.

PA80: I'd probably agree with windupbird's advice re tcc this cycle. Might be worth waiting for meds to kick in. It's hard to wait though itsn't it!!!
    I know what you mean about wanting to know exactly what's going on. No one has been abole to tell be specifically what's causing my problems. Still waiting to hera from the endocrinologist re: the tests I had in Dec for autoimmune diseases etc.
    Luck for seeing the doc!

Emzy78: I hear you!! Once you decide you just want it to happen!

Elliemaysmama: Welcome to you! Yes you have found some kindred spirits here. I have a March 09 baby too! She was the only one that stuck.
    I went private, but they have screwed with the medicare rebate and now you don't get much back.
    To tell you the truth, with medical problems etc you will get good follow up in the public sector. You should ask about the scans because I was told they do them for free if you have medical problems. I had to pay for ALL my meds last time.

Does anyone know if you still do when you go public??

to everyone else

Thanks
    Reviews
    elliemaysmama welcome
    i am on 15mg prednisolone atm, how much are you on?
    sounds like you get "moon face" from it. i dont get that but i do put on a bit of weight and sometimes it gives me thrush yukky.

luvabubba great to hear your bubba was doing well at scan.
    hope all is still well with you and bubba

tatiana sorry to hear the concert sucked
    not sure about the scan thing as my bubby was a november 09 baby.
    we went public and never paid a cent for scans or anything else.
    we now have private health cover but i dont think we will go private cos the costs seem ridiculous and especially if we are going to be doing ivf and losing 2000 a pop we cant afford ob fees on top of that.
    i didnt have a problem going public, the only thing that peeved me off was the amount i had to walk for my antenatal appts cos the carpark was being redone at my hospital, i swear i was close to peeing my pants on several occasions just walking from the car to my appt lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick question on Pathology...

So we were told we'd only have to pay $95 each for the MTHFR test, ok so I pay the Pathology in WA where the blood was taken, now I've just received a bill from the lab in NSW where the test was actually done for $75, thats for my Dh, so I guess mine will be in today's mail... why am I paying $95 for the vampire + $75 for the Lab? Does this sound right or am I being ripped blind??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PA80 View Post

So we were told we'd only have to pay $95 each for the MTHFR test, ok so I pay the Pathology in WA where the blood was taken, now I've just received a bill from the lab in NSW where the test was actually done for $75, thats for my Dh, so I guess mine will be in today's mail... why am I paying $95 for the vampire + $75 for the Lab? Does this sound right or am I being ripped blind??

That's a bit strange- i had to pay for only the Lab test??? I would call the clinic and ask them???? The actual blood taking SHOULD ne bulk billed via medicare and the lab should cost the $$$ in my understanding. GL, let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    PA80 I have never needed to pay for to get the blood taken before but I have needed to pay to get the test done it seems a bit strange. Have you asked the pathology if you need to pay this?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PA80 View Post

Yeah I've never had to pay for having the blood taken before??
    Vampire

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also Paula , it was the same test as yours!